RELEASE... GMAIL 2.3.4.1.... Blacked Out..

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry no screenshots for this one but I am headed out the door for some family time and just wanted to get this out there.... hopefully you guys will understand...:)

There is one major change though, now the UNREAD messages in inbox have bold text and go to regular after you read them... Since this is the case, I have made the inbox completely black.... If some have a problem, I can go back and adjust the backgrounds like my previous version to help, just let me know....

I will also be getting in touch with the themers that want to find out the smali code for the inbox text.... just pm me and I will get it to you....

Make a backup!!!!!
Be sure that Gmail.apk is in /system
Make sure you don't have the update in /data
Download
Install through recovery
Enjoy.....

Also, this zip is for clockwork and spr, I don't know if it will work with rzr??

BlackedOutGmail2.3.4.1.zip - *********** - online file sharing and storage - download

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Later today I hope to look at trying to get the messages inverted as well, but don't get too excited... I have looked at it before and failed once...:)

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Sorry no screenshots for this one but I am headed out the door for some family time and just wanted to get this out there.... hopefully you guys will understand...:)

There is one major change though, now the UNREAD messages in inbox have bold text and go to regular after you read them... Since this is the case, I have made the inbox completely black.... If some have a problem, I can go back and adjust the backgrounds like my previous version to help, just let me know....

I will also be getting in touch with the themers that want to find out the smali code for the inbox text.... just pm me and I will get it to you....

Make a backup!!!!!
Be sure that Gmail.apk is in /system
Make sure you don't have the update in /data
Download
Install through recovery
Enjoy.....

Also, this zip is for clockwork and spr, I don't know if it will work with rzr??

BlackedOutGmail2.3.4.1.zip - *********** - online file sharing and storage - download

Awesome, ec! You rock!!! By the way, if it will work with SPR, it will definitely work for RZR.

dboss007

Reaction score
Thanks!! Looks great. However, one thing I'm noticing. When attempting to assign labels to messages, the labels listing blacks out when scrolling which causes the names, etc. to disappear.

Edit: For clarification, this only seems to happen when in the message list and long-tap to Change labels. Changing labels in an actual message doesn't seem to have this scrolling issue.

Last edited:

sk8

Reaction score
I must be missing something. Which Gmail.apk should be in /system? A copy or the original stock Gmail.apk. Or does a copy of the downloaded blackedout Gmail.apk need to be in /system
Sorry if it is a stupid Q, I flashed the zip but no change probably because I'm unsure which. Apk to place /system

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
There should only be one in /system/app, titled (case-sensitive) Gmail.apk. When you flash the zip on the Droid X, you need to make sure that when you are in recovery, you go to mounts and storage and mount /system. Then press the power button to go back to the main menu, then proceed with the install. If you are running Liberty, this will install over the top of the existing Gmail.

sk8

Reaction score
Gotchya ill give it a try now Stetson. I was trying to rename the Gmail.apk to Gmail.bak and move this into the /system/app

sk8

Reaction score
Yes sir thank you much. Didn't think about mounting /system to flash makes sense. Looks good.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
using LGB1.3 should I flash this zip or shall I remove the .apk and add it to the LGB zip and then flash?

EDIT: extracted .apk then added to the LGB.zip works great and looks freakin awesome!

THANKS

Last edited:

SUroot

Reaction score
I know this forum isn't specifically for my device (HTC desire) but has anyone got this to work on it?

My gmail is in data/app so I don't flash, just install but it won't install. "application not installed". I have had this.on some apks I edited myself, but not all. The 2.3 blacked out version works fine.

Also problem with blacked out market, flash is successful but the apk does not install correctly.

rabbitfoot

Reaction score
this gmail looks awesome!

is anybody else having problems telling the unread from the read, though?

best,
rf