Gmail 2.3.5.. Blacked Out!!

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, here is it.. just pushed last night and already inverted! The major part of this was done by B-boy, I just added the finishing touches and did a few smali edits..

Instructions for ROOTED users.....

uninstall updates for gmail
download the app
navigate to app
select and install.....enjoy

if this doesn't work, then you will need to use RE, rename gmail.apk in /system/app to gmail.apk.old and then REBOOT, if you do not reboot it won't work!!

Now return to the app, select it, and install... enjoy

Non-Rooted users, you can give this a try and see if it will work...

uninstall updates for gmail
download app
navigate to app
select and install
You will know right away if it works.....

Always make a backup and enjoy Gmail 2.3.5.... Blacked Out

http://bit.ly/Gmail235BlackedOut

Rooted users... if you have issues installing, let me know and I will post some update.zips... but this should work for ALL devices...

EFGantry

Reaction score
dude, you and B-boy rock! this update is only minutes old - nice!!

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Can't tell what has been read or not...its all solid black. Can we get a dark grey for read emails?

But it did install perfectly on my TB :)

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We had it dark gray but didn't like it.... I'm on vacation for a few days so maybe ec can fiddle with it.... last version had it to where unread/read had bold and standard font... but we can pull something together pretty easily.... just a slightly lighter black so you can see a difference....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is the text different? I think that unread messages are bold text and read are normal...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

mjs1015

Reaction score
Nice work! Thank you.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Jer

Reaction score
Normally I would request a better contrast between read & not read as well but I'm so excited by the inverted message body that I just don't care. Great work! Normally the message body isn't inverted so congraluations on a job well done as I'm sure it wasn't easy. Personally I would prefer a gray or lighter unread message but hey, the price is right! I actually like it all black with bold unread and am able to tell pretty easily between my read and unread. So, here's one vote for perfect the way it is.

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The reason the gray was removed was so that it would stay "blacked out". Since the background is for read messages, that gray would always be there.. it was a personal preference, however, I will post a version tomorrow with a different background for read messages...

Blacksantron

Reaction score
When I go to applications gmail isn't listed. When I select all gmail shows up but there is no option to uninstall updates.. Only clear data, force stop, or move to sd.. Yikes!

Sent from my Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated DROID X @ 1.25

Last edited:
OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thats no problem, it just means that your only app is in /system.. are you rooted?

I see from your sig you are, sorry..... anyway, just follow the second part of the install instructions for rooted users. It will tell you what to do with the app in /system/app... be sure to reboot after the change and before installing our version

Last edited:

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Is the text different? I think that unread messages are bold text and read are normal...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

I have changed my font, so its all bold on my phone

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jer

Reaction score
After using it for 24hrs or so now I still like it but one thing I noticed is the text of the message body is difficult to read, especially in the daylight. Maybe a lighter color text would offer more contrast & make it easier to read. Maybe something between the current gray & white?

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Thats no problem, it just means that your only app is in /system.. are you rooted?

I see from your sig you are, sorry..... anyway, just follow the second part of the install instructions for rooted users. It will tell you what to do with the app in /system/app... be sure to reboot after the change and before installing our version

Nope... Did all that. Now it just keeps popping up FC... Can't open it at all. And when it tries to sync it FC's
Gosh darnit I had such a clean system. Now theres chode....

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Nope... Did all that. Now it just keeps popping up FC... Can't open it at all. And when it tries to sync it FC's
Gosh darnit I had such a clean system. Now theres chode....

Clear data and cache in Gmail.... and if you're rooted, you can also use root explorer and move the com.Google.GM.Apk from data/app to system/app... rename it Gmail.apk and reboot.... I've tested a few scenarios on this and the new market we inverted and I always get them to work... keep us posted tho....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums