Razr battery discharge

RickDroid

Reaction score
Droid Razr, 2 months old, been doing just fine. The last week my droid has just started to going dead ant any given time. Battery will have a good charge, use the phone for a quick call, 10 minutes later the battery is completely dead. The phone will be fine for the next 2 or 3 days then , boom, I'll go to use it and , wham, the suckers dead again. Recharge it and it will be cool for another while till it decides to drain-off again...

anyone else having this issue? :mad:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I personally am not, you may want to put the phone in safe mode and see if it's still occurs. If its good in safe mode then it's an app...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

MSC

Reaction score
My husband seems to be having the same issue. On Wednesday my phone went completely dead. I took it off the charger at 6am used it only when I checked the time around 11am and when I went to text my husband around 1pm the phone was dead so I started charging it ( only took 30 minutes to get a full charge). When I talked to him later that night his phone had went completely dead as well, along with 2 other guys at his work around noon. We have had ours for about a month now.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
2 things come to mind.
first, a bad charger in the house guilty of failed charges on both devices.
second, if he and 2 friends had similar issues at work I would wonder if its a bad wifi issue there causing major drain trying to maintain a signal.

OP
RickDroid

RickDroid

Reaction score
To add...

I think the charger idea is out. I have had the same issue happen on both my home charger and my vehicle charger. I too, when the phone does go dead, it fully recharges in about 15-25 minutes...really strange?

So to try the safe-mode check....how do I boot my Razr into the safe-mode? :icon_ lala:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Others could tell you better, I would have to play with it a bit to remember, lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
To add...

I think the charger idea is out. I have had the same issue happen on both my home charger and my vehicle charger. I too, when the phone does go dead, it fully recharges in about 15-25 minutes...really strange?

So to try the safe-mode check....how do I boot my Razr into the safe-mode? :icon_ lala:

Power the phone off. Plug in the charger and let it charge in charger only mode. Then eventually when it displays the large battery with 100%, disconnect, power up and use until it reaches 15%. Then charge and use normally again.

By doing this, you re-calibrate your charging circuitry to the actual battery capacities and then the phone won't falsely indicate a full charge when it may only have a partial charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jayschevy

Reaction score
i have the same problem. fone was @ 80% charge. checked it 40 mins. later it was dead. and would not come back on for any thing. about 1;30 pm. it came on and batt. was at 15%. i had called cs at verizon and had a (what i thought would be a brand new fone!!) certified repl. at home on 3-8-12. it went dead sat. afternoon after 6 hrs. of non use!!! i ain't happy with this 400.00 dollar fone at all.no wifi running,google and vzw locators on. no gps. have avg anti virus,history cleaner, ilighter,and had smart actions. idk why it went dead.how to do the safe boot. power it off. turn it back on and just before the droid eye appears. hold the volume button down all the way down in the middle of button.when it works u will see safe mode in lower left hand bottom corner.

OP
RickDroid

RickDroid

Reaction score
Power the phone off. Plug in the charger and let it charge in charger only mode. Then eventually when it displays the large battery with 100%, disconnect, power up and use until it reaches 15%. Then charge and use normally again.

By doing this, you re-calibrate your charging circuitry to the actual battery capacities and then the phone won't falsely indicate a full charge when it may only have a partial charge.

Ok...did exactly what you said here. Brought the phone up to 100% with the "charge only" option. I then booted the phone on (in the safe mode) and started using it as normal. The phone was at the 20% left mark (I was trying to get the 15% mark just as you said) but at the 20% capacity mark the phone then died and shut down just as before. It never reached the 15% mark and when I put it back on the charger again the battery charge indicator showed completely 100% discharged.

So when it shut down, the mark was at 20%...but when put imidatly back on the charger, it showed 100% completely dead????

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok...did exactly what you said here. Brought the phone up to 100% with the "charge only" option. I then booted the phone on (in the safe mode) and started using it as normal. The phone was at the 20% left mark (I was trying to get the 15% mark just as you said) but at the 20% capacity mark the phone then died and shut down just as before. It never reached the 15% mark and when I put it back on the charger again the battery charge indicator showed completely 100% discharged.

So when it shut down, the mark was at 20%...but when put imidatly back on the charger, it showed 100% completely dead????

The phone shutting down at 20% is very suspicious, especially after a full charge while powered off. Just one question, why did you choose to power it up in safe mode for the usage period? Was it to try to eliminate any background app our service issues?

I am wondering if perhaps Safe mode my be partly to blame for the meter not following the battery levels as it drained and possibly throwing off the values. Otherwise, you may have a true hardware failure.

OP
RickDroid

RickDroid

Reaction score
The phone shutting down at 20% is very suspicious, especially after a full charge while powered off. Just one question, why did you choose to power it up in safe mode for the usage period? Was it to try to eliminate any background app our service issues?

I am wondering if perhaps Safe mode my be partly to blame for the meter not following the battery levels as it drained and possibly throwing off the values. Otherwise, you may have a true hardware failure.

Well I booted it the "safe mode" to see if maybe an app was the blame for the prob...it wasnt. So now I will try your method of reseting the battery meter with out the "safe mode" and using a normal charge mode and a normai boot up to see if I can achieve the 15% discharge were looking for. :icon_ lala: I'll be back...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well I booted it the "safe mode" to see if maybe an app was the blame for the prob...it wasnt. So now I will try your method of reseting the battery meter with out the "safe mode" and using a normal charge mode and a normai boot up to see if I can achieve the 15% discharge were looking for. :icon_ lala: I'll be back...

Sorry to put you through this but the sudden shut downs just reek of things out of sync. I'm not staying it isn't a hardware failure, but statistically it is a low incidence. For instance, according to Battery University as much as 90 percent of batteries returned as defective are found to be still useful.

OP
RickDroid

RickDroid

Reaction score
Ok Mr FoxKat...did the normal charge up to the 100% and boot procedure as normal...the phone has been running all day with normal use (8 hours) and the phone still shows a 60% battery charge still left. By this same time before the phone would already be dead on back on the charger. So maybe we have come up with something here. I will keep up the use and will reply back tothis thread with the results after a few days of use. Thanks so much with your help here and just to let you know...that phone your in your avatar...I still have one in my drawer. Mine is the newer and last model of the "brick" made by Motorola. Wish I could still use it...it was superb and worked flawless. Was a bit pricey though at $1.65 a minute :icon_eek: LOL

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok Mr FoxKat...did the normal charge up to the 100% and boot procedure as normal...the phone has been running all day with normal use (8 hours) and the phone still shows a 60% battery charge still left. By this same time before the phone would already be dead on back on the charger. So maybe we have come up with something here. I will keep up the use and will reply back tothis thread with the results after a few days of use. Thanks so much with your help here and just to let you know...that phone your in your avatar...I still have one in my drawer. Mine is the newer and last model of the "brick" made by Motorola. Wish I could still use it...it was superb and worked flawless. Was a bit pricey though at $1.65 a minute :icon_eek: LOL

OK!! So we may have a winner! Keep up the process and let's see if we can't conclusively rule in favor of this as a resolution! Way to go! :icon_ lala: