My Razr will not turn on

nonamer

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me out with my issue. The other night my phone was acting buggy and a little slow. The battery level was around 40%, so I powered it off and waited 10-15 minutes later but it wouldn't come back on. I've had this happen a few times before, but those times I've been able to use the power/volume boot method to get it going. This time it seems completely dead. I've tried plugging it in on a few different chargers (wall, car, usb), but most give no results. I have one wall charger that will get a flashing white light, but even after a few hours hooked up to that I can't even get the battery charging display up. I've read a lot of posts offering suggestions about rooted phones, factory cables, soldering wires directly to the battery, etc but I'm not much of a technophile. I've had my Razr for over a year and it's completely stock, not tinkered with in any way. Does anyone have a solution for me? I'd like to try avoiding taking it back to Verizon if at all possible. Would getting a factory cable from eBay fix the problem and charge the battery, or is there another issue with the phone apart from the battery?

Any help would be appreciated.

706woodman

Reaction score
Well i would say to get the cable and try that first and if it wont come on its something other than the battery.the cable should power the phone on if the battery is bad. Does the phone get really hot when charging it? Im guessing you have tried all the methods with power+ volume buttons.also the white led dose it blink or stay on steady?

keepitsimple

Reaction score
Hi. Was looking to see if I was a "loner" on the battery issue. Apparently not. Razr Maxx, Factory installed ICS on a Replacement phone, July 12, 2012.

What my symptoms are: phone shuts down when in standby or screen off mode-randomly.

Only way to get it restarted is to plug it into a charger. Like you, holding the power button and down volume button will NOT bring it back when NOT plugged in to a charger.. Charge is always OK 50-99% prior to the uncommanded shutdown.

When plugged in the phone indicates 0% charge and then after powered on it shows the original charge level as mentioned above.

I've had a similar "false 0 battery" issue now for 2+months. -you can search posts out on this forum that are relevant by me and others reply to me.
Lots of great maybes and "try this" posts and I've done them all.

My conclusion is that I have not found a permanent fix. I would return the phone (BTW this is my second-first had a screen gray out issue) but I'm gonna wait until I can duplicate the symptoms in front of an official store rep. Over the phone to a CSR or not being able to duplicate the problem so an official person can see it just leads me back to the laundry list of hard, soft resets training the battery, recalibrating the battery charger software plus all the other well meaning ideas that only give me false hope and the same problem. Thanks anyway everyone.

Sorry to be blunt but I'm hoping you can have better results than me armed with some background info.

As always, anyone who reads this having an insight is welcome.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
One suggestion is to get a flashlight and magnifying glass and lok in the USB charging port on the phone. IMHO, the way the charger plugs in puts the pins at risk of being bent when the phone is moved around while plugged into the charging cable. (i've thought about getting a dock just to avoid the risk) You'll want to look at all the pins and make sure none are bent or pushed in too far. I'll try to take a picture of what mine look like and post it for a reference.
Any pins that are bent will prevent charging and any pins that are shorted out will cause all sorts of other problems.

Hope that helps.

David

OP
N

nonamer

Reaction score
I have one wall charger that will give me a flashing white light for a minute or two before going away. If I plug it into my laptop it will give off a solid white light. I've left it on the charger for hours and hours at a time and it's still seemingly not picking up a charge.

706woodman

Reaction score
Well like i said i just went through this last week,you need to manually charge the battery or get the programming cable. If still nothing i can give you the number for the place where i purchased the motherboard for my RAZR 80$ ,did you try a car charger? If you have power to the phone from the battery or programming cable and it still won't come on that ain't good.you may have battery trouble but that's what i thought to start with.then when i got my program cable and still had a white led when i plugged it in i for sure it wasn't the battery. Also like someone suggested check the charge port keep us posted

OP
N

nonamer

Reaction score
Thanks for your help; I just ordered a factory cable off eBay. Can you explain what I will need to do with it to solve my problem? Sorry, but I'm not the most knowledgeable person about phones and software.

706woodman

Reaction score
Sure when you receive the cable all you need to do is plug it in, and it should boot up just as if you powered it on.also im not the most knowledgeable my self but i have had so many people on this forum to help me I'm just trying to return the favor. If just plugging it in doesn't work try power + vol down method and or power +both vol buttons down,to see if you can get it to power on any kinda way.hopefully its just the battery and you plug the cable in and it comes right on.i think it would be very strange for you to have the same problem that i had and have a bad motherboard, but it's possible. Aslo if the charge port is damaged the cable probably won't work,so make sure to look at it.if it the charge port is damaged and the phone wont come on with the cable you will need to manually charge the battery,or find someone with a RAZR that wont mind you removing their battery to put in yours, but good luck with that lol.lots of people think you cant remove the battery but you can.it's just a little more trouble than popping off a cover and lifting out the battery like on a dx.if you have to remove the battery you will need to have a t3 or t5 torks bit to remove the small screws at the bottom of the battery, then just lift out the battery.the battery has a tab on it that says remove battery pull it and don't be scared to tug hard cuz it will be stuck in with some type of sticky tape,just make sure not to damage it.also i didn't ask if the phone is still under warranty? If so of course the battery removal will void your warranty.

OP
N

nonamer

Reaction score
Well I just received my factory cable today, but even when connected to that the phone still won't turn on. The seller is sending me a replacement just in case there was an issue with the cable. So I'll have to try again in a few days, but this is not looking good :frown:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well I just received my factory cable today, but even when connected to that the phone still won't turn on. The seller is sending me a replacement just in case there was an issue with the cable. So I'll have to try again in a few days, but this is not looking good :frown:

Very disappointing... :( I hope it's just a bad cable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

706woodman

Reaction score
oh man sorry to hear that,mine did the same exact thing.but as long as the charge port is ok you have ruled out having a bad battery.did it get really hot when you plugged it in?

706woodman

Reaction score
Very disappointing... :( I hope it's just a bad cable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
do you have another phone you can try the cable on? If you plug it in to another phone,it will probably show a? Mark where the battery level should be if so you know the cable is good.