My Razr will not turn on

OP
N

nonamer

Reaction score
oh man sorry to hear that,mine did the same exact thing.but as long as the charge port is ok you have ruled out having a bad battery.did it get really hot when you plugged it in?

Not that I could tell. It flashed the white light a couple times then I got an error message on my laptop about a bad USB connection. I don't have any other phones to test it out on though, so I don't know if it's a bad cable or a worse problem in the phone.

OP
N

nonamer

Reaction score
I just tried the replacement cable and the phone will still not respond. I can hear a clicking sound then a message pops up saying USB device not recognized.

Are there any other options out there, or is the phone most likely pushing up daisies?

706woodman

Reaction score
I just tried the replacement cable and the phone will still not respond. I can hear a clicking sound then a message pops up saying USB device not recognized.

Are there any other options out there, or is the phone most likely pushing up daisies?

Im not sure what else to tell ya,if the phone wont connect via usb i would say something is definitely wrong iside the phone.did you try it in any other ports? You can purchase another phone new/ used . Or have it repaired or do it you're self as i did.the company i purchased my motherboard from is called the used cell professionals, The Used Cell Professionals - Used Cell Pro. they repair and sell parts, they were great to deal with.other than this i dont know what else to tell ya,maybe some one else will chime in.sorry man,but keep us posted.

keepitsimple

Reaction score
Some Maybes

Sure when you receive the cable all you need to do is plug it in, and it should boot up just as if you powered it on.also im not the most knowledgeable my self but i have had so many people on this forum to help me I'm just trying to return the favor. If just plugging it in doesn't work try power + vol down method and or power +both vol buttons down,to see if you can get it to power on any kinda way.hopefully its just the battery and you plug the cable in and it comes right on.i think it would be very strange for you to have the same problem that i had and have a bad motherboard, but it's possible. Aslo if the charge port is damaged the cable probably won't work,so make sure to look at it.if it the charge port is damaged and the phone wont come on with the cable you will need to manually charge the battery,or find someone with a RAZR that wont mind you removing their battery to put in yours, but good luck with that lol.lots of people think you cant remove the battery but you can.it's just a little more trouble than popping off a cover and lifting out the battery like on a dx.if you have to remove the battery you will need to have a t3 or t5 torks bit to remove the small screws at the bottom of the battery, then just lift out the battery.the battery has a tab on it that says remove battery pull it and don't be scared to tug hard cuz it will be stuck in with some type of sticky tape,just make sure not to damage it.also i didn't ask if the phone is still under warranty? If so of course the battery removal will void your warranty.
tuff offered in other]]

Have you tried the stuff in this post? or the others-it's good stuff. If you are not comfortable with with the battery pull, maybe you have someone who might want to do it.
If the warranty is a valid player, then I would work that angle via tech support channels.

OP
N

nonamer

Reaction score
tuff offered in other]]

Have you tried the stuff in this post? or the others-it's good stuff. If you are not comfortable with with the battery pull, maybe you have someone who might want to do it.
If the warranty is a valid player, then I would work that angle via tech support channels.

I've tried about every method under the sun except taking the cover off to directly charge the battery, but that is just something I'm not sure I could manage.

706woodman

Reaction score
Sure you can,just get your fingernail in a crack for the rear cover.then just run it around the rear cover and it will come right off.with the cover off and the phone face down look at the let rear of the phone and you will see a lil red cover. Remove that, it just pops right off. It's a battery terminal cover,you dont have to remove the battery if you make something like i did and its very simple. Just make sure red +& black negative, if you look close it will tell which is which .oh the cover will be stuck with sticky tape just pull slow. This was made from a old phone charger.

View attachment 59687

anoopch

Reaction score
I have one wall charger that will give me a flashing white light for a minute or two before going away. If I plug it into my laptop it will give off a solid white light. I've left it on the charger for hours and hours at a time and it's still seemingly not picking up a charge.

Flashing White light Denotes a Low voltage Low Amp charger connected. Connect a Charger with 1A or 1.5A to charge. It takes atleast 3 hours to charge if you use a 1A charger....

anoopch

Reaction score
I've tried about every method under the sun except taking the cover off to directly charge the battery, but that is just something I'm not sure I could manage.
You should try the Motorola Factory Adapter which is better than the Factory cable in terms of faults. I have used it for my bricked Droid 4 a while ago.
Here is a link if you need. Just 10$.. Before opening up try this.
Motorola Factory Adapters

Last edited:

XxDerpxX

Reaction score
One suggestion is to get a flashlight and magnifying glass and lok in the USB charging port on the phone. IMHO, the way the charger plugs in puts the pins at risk of being bent when the phone is moved around while plugged into the charging cable. (i've thought about getting a dock just to avoid the risk) You'll want to look at all the pins and make sure none are bent or pushed in too far. I'll try to take a picture of what mine look like and post it for a reference.
Any pins that are bent will prevent charging and any pins that are shorted out will cause all sorts of other problems.

Hope that helps.

David
I was having the same problem. I had a dock lying around too. I plugged my phone into the dock and it charged.