Overheated/died

tmetcalf52

Reaction score
I've had my Razr 2 mos, no problems before yesterday. While sitting in a meeting I noticed the phone was extremely HOT. Would not turn on. I took it out of case, couldn't tell one side hotter than the other. After a few minutes it cooled down, Would not turn on, I feared it had fried the innards, but hooked phone up to a charger. It read zero battery (so it went from 80% to zero in 3 hrs with 1 phone call made in between), the phone recharged and seems to work fine today. Very scary phone battery life could die that quickly, and where was the heat coming from?? Any ideas??

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I was in a building where I was unable to get a signal at all. My phone kicked in to overdrive trying to find a signal and heated up like a frying pan (while chewing through the battery at an alarming rate). Maybe that was it? Sounds pretty similar.

mattman5000

Reaction score
My droid x did that a couple of times at my mother's house. The phone would barely get a signal there. It got real hot and drained the battery from about 50% to zero in less than an hour. I haven't been over there since I got my razr maxx to see if it behaves the same.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
another user on forums had similar problems with max .. cant remeber username -shame on me .. but that person had to get phone replaced

monkey_man

Reaction score
I was in a building where I was unable to get a signal at all. My phone kicked in to overdrive trying to find a signal and heated up like a frying pan (while chewing through the battery at an alarming rate). Maybe that was it? Sounds pretty similar.

This sound reasonable and correct. This is where smart actions can help while you are at work or inside multistory building. Try to remove weather widget or any apps that require GPS/data connectivity. If your building has accessible WIFI connection, then you should switch to that.

OP
T

tmetcalf52

Reaction score
My wife has same phone, and she had a good signal sitting next to me. My wifi was turned off. I'm wondering if some app was the problem or if it was the phone itself, but I hope it doesn't happen again!!