Random rebooting and/or shutting down

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by eversonsc, Nov 11, 2009.

1. eversonsc

eversonsc New Member

Has anyone had issues with the phone just rebooting itself or shutting down without notice? I've had the phone since it came out and this has happened 3 times so far.
  2. Zer0Beast

Zer0Beast New Member

I have, mine reboots or locks up at least once every couple of hours. I have to return mine and swap it out for a new one.

I've noticed other people have had this issue too. Just take it back and have them swap it out.
  3. noordzy77

noordzy77 New Member

Mine was doing this, and I was also having an issue with being unable to text aprticular person, wasn't using Area code even though it was in the contact info. Verizon swapped out my phone and I have been golden since.
  4. ZeRo_C0oL

ZeRo_C0oL New Member

Luckily I haven't had any of those issues (yet), but that doesn't mean I won't, with my luck.
  5. eversonsc

eversonsc New Member

Ok so if you go and swap it out are you able to transfer the configuration somehow? Or will I have to set up the new phone all over again?
  6. mrpbjnance

mrpbjnance New Member

When your phone randomly reboots does it show the Motorola M? Mine started doing that today and has done it twice
  7. Zer0Beast

Zer0Beast New Member

When mine reboots, yes, it shows the 'M' as if I just turned it on.
  8. Zer0Beast

Zer0Beast New Member

You would have to set up your settings on the phone again. but all of your contacts and applications you downloaded from the marketplace should all be put back once you set up your gmail account on the new phone
  9. mrpbjnance

mrpbjnance New Member

Did you end up returning yours..did you have to prove it to them or did they just give you a new one?
  10. Guindalf

Guindalf New Member

I'm just home from getting a replacement for this problem. It is known to them in the stores and they will swap it out with no problems. I had not sent in my MIR yet, so that was not an issue for me.

I can confirm that, if they swap the memory card with your old phone, all the apps remain. All you need to do is re-pair Bluetooth and repopulate your main screen(s).
  11. tarheel316

tarheel316 New Member

I'm on my second droid. The first one kept powering down. Verizon gladly exchanged phones and took the SD card out of the old one and into the new since I already had images on it. The new phone is doing fine.
  12. eversonsc

eversonsc New Member

I just returned mine today because of the rebooting problem. The tech told me that the apps etc are sync'd with my gmail account. I took the SD card from the old phone and put it in the new one. Once I added my main Gmail account to the new phone most of the settings were the same. My background image was the same and the apps were still there. I had to re-drag them onto the screen from the main menu but they were still there. I had to re-add the rest of my email accounts and had to personalize the ringtone and notification ringtone as well. I am back up and running and so far so good.
  13. S281

S281 New Member

How often would u qualify rebooting a problem. Mine reboots maybe 3 or 4 times a day? Should i exchange mine?
  14. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Yep that would qualify for me! I've had mine since last Friday and haven't had a single reboot. If it did it more than a couple time a week, I exchange it.
  15. kdanielson

kdanielson New Member

I would say that would definitely qualify. Mine was doing the same thing. I took it back, they exchanged without problem, and the new one has been troublefree!
  16. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I responded to you in your thread...so in case you missed it I suggest you do a factory reset before returning the device and if that doesnt work then return it.

It's worth a try. 50/50 chance : )
  17. Zer0Beast

Zer0Beast New Member

Just in case....do NOT remove your UPC code from the box. I guess i got screwed where i bought my phone. I bought it from a retailer (not a verizon corporate store). The corporate store wouldn't even TOUCH my phone since i bought it somewhere else. Then when i tried to return it for a new one from the retail store, they wouldn't take it back because i already cut the UPC off (although i still have it).

So, now i'm getting shipped a new phone (re-certified), which i think is a joke, because my phone is only 7 freakin days old!

I'll never buy from a Verizon Retail store ever again
  18. S281

S281 New Member

Thanks, I'll try that. I just hate going back to verizon and waiting in that dreaded line to get a refurb phone. I hope mine just starts working after the reset or maybe i'll wait a few weeks till the new update and hope something cures it.

BTW, will a factory reset wipe out everything? (contacts,calander,apps?) Will a simple sync to my google restore everything?
  19. SoftwareForMe.com

SoftwareForMe.com New Member

Our first Droid rebooted 10 times in the first 28 hours. 9 of those reboots got it stuck in an infinite loop between the Android screen and the red eye.

We replaced it last Saturday and have had zero issues since.

Randomly rebooting, at any frequency, is not acceptable, and given the reports of users (here and elsewhere), it isn't necessary that one risk it. Replace that broken Droid!

SoftwareForMe.com
    Makers of PhoneMyPC
  20. S281

S281 New Member

Did a factory reset today, 8 hrs so far and no random reboots. Probably too early to tell though, but hoping it fixed the prob.
Search tags for this page
android random reset

droid dna random shutdown

frequentt shutdow n of android phones
nexus 7 random reboots and shuts down in sleep mode
phone reboots shuts down
random rebooting nokia 928