Questions

Chippee

Reaction score
Hello. As you can see, I am new here. I have been lurking in the forums for a couple of days now. I am considering switching to the Fascinate and came here for some input. I see alot of terminology that I don't understand. For instance, what the heck is rooting, what are kernals, and bootloader? Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

To answer your questions (to the best of my ability)

Rooting is taking full system control of your device, it allows you to do things that normally only the software manufacturers are able to do

A kernel is kind of like a CPU governer it can control how fast or slow your CPU works and the voltage it consumes to reach these speeds

A bootloader is essentially the initial boot sequence of a device, the Original Droid and the Fascinate have unlocked boot loaders...meaning you can take the original source codes and build your own ROM and boot it up on your device

The Droid 2 and X have locked bootloaders where they can still be Rooted, a custom ROM is a more difficult task to achieve

Hopefully someone else will share a little bit more technical explanation as mine is pretty simple but I don't want to give you false information so I am only sharing what I know

Again Welcome, and you would be making a good choice with the Fascinate :)

OP
C

Chippee

Reaction score
:welcome:

To answer your questions (to the best of my ability)

Rooting is taking full system control of your device, it allows you to do things that normally only the software manufacturers are able to do

A kernel is kind of like a CPU governer it can control how fast or slow your CPU works and the voltage it consumes to reach these speeds

A bootloader is essentially the initial boot sequence of a device, the Original Droid and the Fascinate have unlocked boot loaders...meaning you can take the original source codes and build your own ROM and boot it up on your device

The Droid 2 and X have locked bootloaders where they can still be Rooted, a custom ROM is a more difficult task to achieve

Hopefully someone else will share a little bit more technical explanation as mine is pretty simple but I don't want to give you false information so I am only sharing what I know

Again Welcome, and you would be making a good choice with the Fascinate :)

Thanks for the information tparker. Geeze if someone has more "technical" explanation then I am in BIG trouble :wacko: I am a bit technically challenged. Going to VZ on my way home and check out the Fascinate!

And thanks for the lovely welcome.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Words of wisdom...if you buy any Android Device VZW will tell you how great a task killer is, don't fall for their trickery :)