Newbie question please be gentle

vinniesuch

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm very new to the smartphone revolution so my question is what is the major difference between Android phones and the Iphone 4 . now I'm not someone who is gonna root the phone or get to technical. I have my brother offering me a free Fascinate so it would be that or the Iphone 4 . I understand this is a android website so can you be as biased as possible. Thanks alot of great stuff on here

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Free phone you can upgrade later or locked into a 2-year contract with a phone you might hate, watching all the new phone tech hit? I'd go for the Fascinate, and I personally don't like Samsung phones all that much -- as a smart phone, anyway. The Fascinate, if you're just going to USE it instead of PLAY with it like I do with my Droid 1 (hacking, ROMs, etc), is a very good phone. :)

OP
V

vinniesuch

Reaction score
So from what I understand some differences are like widgets and the markets are different but what are the major dfferences in the two

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's like asking the difference between a Lamborghini and a Porche 911 Turbo. :)

Do you have any experience with any of them? If not, get your hands on an Android phone, open the app drawer, and say hello to iOS. That's a drastic oversimplification, and I admit to it freely, but that's essentially what iOS is. Android gives you the ability to customize your user experience to far greater degrees than iOS, but iOS is far, far simpler, and in actuality much more stable. On the other hand, it locks you into iTunes so completely that it's insane. :)

However, I'm sure someone with more iOS experience than I have will be able to help you out more. Your best bet is to play with Android, and a Fascinate in particular, to get some idea of what you're looking at. As far as I'm concerned, though, if the phone's free I'd go with that and run with it rather than locking yourself into a 2-year contract since you might hate the phone. :) Even if you hate the Fascinate you'll at least be secure in the knowledge you can change it any time you want and can afford to.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
nuff said and well said

That's like asking the difference between a Lamborghini and a Porche 911 Turbo. :)

Do you have any experience with any of them? If not, get your hands on an Android phone, open the app drawer, and say hello to iOS. That's a drastic oversimplification, and I admit to it freely, but that's essentially what iOS is. Android gives you the ability to customize your user experience to far greater degrees than iOS, but iOS is far, far simpler, and in actuality much more stable. On the other hand, it locks you into iTunes so completely that it's insane. :)

However, I'm sure someone with more iOS experience than I have will be able to help you out more. Your best bet is to play with Android, and a Fascinate in particular, to get some idea of what you're looking at. As far as I'm concerned, though, if the phone's free I'd go with that and run with it rather than locking yourself into a 2-year contract since you might hate the phone. :) Even if you hate the Fascinate you'll at least be secure in the knowledge you can change it any time you want and can afford to.

Aloha from Hawaii

Markmm24

Reaction score
U have one but u dont know wat it is? I'm not sure I understand.sorry

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
go to settings and view ur phone info. but yes, little puzzled as to not knowing what droid u have. do u mean what version?

Aloha from Hawaii

dznutz0096

Reaction score
poor question i guess my bad i meant i dont know if its a droid1 or a droid2, droidx etc. i know how to get info as its under my name on the left. i wanted to gain superuser permision on it so i can hook it up with another carrier or get it unlocked to do that but didnt want to pay a buisness to do it for me but i need to know what droid i have to do this ive tried everything i can think of and nothing works tried z4 root, universal root busy box wont work cause its not rooted im stuck

Last edited:

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Can you post a picture of the phone?

If you really want an iphone, wait until the new one comes out later this summer.

Swyped from a Droid

RemyL75

Reaction score
poor question i guess my bad i meant i dont know if its a droid1 or a droid2, droidx etc. i know how to get info as its under my name on the left. i wanted to gain superuser permision on it so i can hook it up with another carrier or get it unlocked to do that but didnt want to pay a buisness to do it for me but i need to know what droid i have to do this ive tried everything i can think of and nothing works tried z4 root, universal root busy box wont work cause its not rooted im stuck

Motorola A855 = Motorola Droid 1

adsfa34

Reaction score
if the phone's free I'd go with that and run with it rather than locking yourself into a 2-year contract since you might hate the phone. :) Even if you hate the Fascinate you'll at least be secure in the knowledge you can change it any time you want and can afford to.

+1 Well put -- I would start with the Fascinate too. If you hate it, no harm done, just buy the iPhone. The Fascinate is pretty nifty, you might just love it :)

meems

Reaction score
Before I got the Samsung Fascinate I had the iPhone 3g. Actually I still use the iPhone (over wifi) almost every day. I like the Fascinate OK but I think that when my contract is done I will get the Verizon iPhone.

I just think the iPhone has a more elegant user experience. And more accessories. And several of my fave apps are not available for Android. (and I admit I am bitter that I am still waiting for froyo)

I don't care about customizing or rooting, etc.