Questions about rooting...

ksaul

Reaction score
I am sure these have been asked before but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I am a basic phone user but spending time on these forums have been wanting to root but I am still unclear as to all of the pros/cons of it. Is the only benefit being able to install custom themes, roms and kernels?

What is a kernel anyway?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep that sums it up along with removing bloat (which gnex doesn't have much if any). Also backing up and restoring apps...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

nleksan

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, I have been on here for a little while now, I am a member of multiple other Android sites, and my two "big" hobbies are:
1) Building custom PC's (high-end gaming rigs with water cooling for nearly every component and heavy overclocking; currently an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T running at 4.7ghz with two Radeon HD6970's in CrossFire-X running 995mhz core speed and 25% OC's to both shader/memory; external water cooling enclosure with a refrigerated reservoir and the system runs 3 individual circuits)
2) Modifying and Racing BMW's in both Autocross and Road Course/Track racing (3 BMW's, my extremely-heavily-modified 2000 328Ci, a light-to-moderately modified 2001 325i for daily-driving, and a lightly-modified 1998 740i Sport for longer drives; the 328Ci has well over 4x as much money into it as what I paid for the car itself back in January of '06, including a highly-customized ESS TS2+ Lysholm Twin-Screw Supercharger system with Front-Mount Intercooler running at 14psi of boost on 93oct pump gas and making 435-445rwhp and 410rwtq with all 410rwtq available from 1500rpm to 5000rpm; the entire suspension and braking systems are upgraded, the body is heavily modified including custom widened fenders and Vorsteiner carbon fiber GTR-hood/CSL-roof/CSL-trunk/MTech2-splitters/functional-rear-diffuser/M3-mirrors/etc, a full titanium valvetrain with ported valves, custom ported intake manifold, forged Mahle Pistons and Rods, blueprinted crank, ceramic headers, cat-delete, Recaro Sportster CS seats for driver/passenger, Pioneer AVIC double-din 7.1" touchscreen headunit, BSW Stage2 speaker upgrade replacing all 14 speakers with carbon-kevlar units, two JL amps, a 10" ultra-slim JL sub with integrated enclosure in the passenger side of the trunk, Dynamat ultralight around all speakers, the rear deck-lid, and the spare wheel well and their temp-resistant version covering the firewall, OEM M-Tech 2 bumpers, 6-speed manual transmission swap (from 5spd man), 8.5lb ltw flywheel, Stg2 Organic clutch, 6-piston monobloc calipers with 14.7" 2pc slotted/vented floating rotors in front and 4-piston monobloc calipers with 14.45" 2pc slotted/vented floating rotors in rear, BBS LM wheels 19x8.5" front and 19x10" rear, DPE R07-S wheels 19x8.5" front and 19x9.5" rear, J-Line 5LR2 wheels 18x9" front and 18x10" rear, UUC Evo3 short-shift kit with Dual-Sheer Selecting Rod and ZHP knob, UUC Red Tranny mounts, TC Kline coilovers that are 48-way adjustable for each compression/rebound/bump, Hotchkis adjustable sway bars, full polyurethane bushings, Bi-Xenon headlights with 4500K bulbs, Xenon fog lights with 4500K bulbs, OEM LED Tail lights (red/clear), OEM Clear turn signals and side markers, M3 steering wheel, alcantara headliner, custom Quaife Limited-Slip Differential with a 3.23:1 ratio (stock is 2.91:1), and a TON MORE.... even with the upgraded stereo, the weight is down to 2850lbs or so, with over 100lbs of unsprung weight lost! Redline is now 7200rpm although the valvetrain is rated to 10,000rpm sustained, and She will hit 62mph from a stop in 4.1sec on street tires, and a professional driver could definitely get it under that, and reach that speed while still in 2nd gear (2nd gear hits 62mph at 7045rpm). 100mph from a stop happens in 9.873seconds, quarter-mile is around 11.125seconds at 133.42mph, and braking is insane with 60mph to 0mph in just 96ft on street tires (about 90ft on R-compounds)... AND I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED IT!!! MWAHAHAA)

^Sorry, copied and pasted that from my profile on a car site, apologize for the length, but hey, She's my baby, I like to brag ;)

Anyway, my point is this:
I HAVE NOT ROOTED MY PHONE BECAUSE I AM FOR WHATEVER REASON, SCARED! I don't know why... I just don't feel 100% confident in doing it... The examples I gave above are things to show that I am not afraid to get my hands dirty (I've done 90% of the work on my car), yet for some reason, with my phone, it's just so foreign that I am hesitant (I build Windows PC's... don't know Linux at ALL).

So don't worry, my friend, you are not alone...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Anyway, my point is this:
I HAVE NOT ROOTED MY PHONE BECAUSE I AM FOR WHATEVER REASON, SCARED! I don't know why... I just don't feel 100% confident in doing it... The examples I gave above are things to show that I am not afraid to get my hands dirty (I've done 90% of the work on my car), yet for some reason, with my phone, it's just so foreign that I am hesitant (I build Windows PC's... don't know Linux at ALL).

So don't worry, my friend, you are not alone...
If you aren't comfortable doing it, then don't. It took me a good 6 months to root my OG Droid cause I was scared if I bricked it or something. I spent weeks debating whether to or not and finally did. From my experience, it was harmless and extremely easy. There are tons of guides to help you root. After you do your research, picture yourself doing those steps, then you should be good. Never hesitated to root a device after the OG droid and it's only gotten easier since then with all these "one-click" methods.

And remember, if for some reason you get stuck we're all here to help.

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
If you aren't comfortable doing it, then don't. It took me a good 6 months to root my OG Droid cause I was scared if I bricked it or something. I spent weeks debating whether to or not and finally did. From my experience, it was harmless and extremely easy. There are tons of guides to help you root. After you do your research, picture yourself doing those steps, then you should be good. Never hesitated to root a device after the OG droid and it's only gotten easier since then with all these "one-click" methods.

And remember, if for some reason you get stuck we're all here to help.

I have an OG Droid from before I upgraded to the nexus so maybe I will try on that first before I try on my nexus...

Few more Qs:
- again: what's the difference between a kernel and a ROM?
- if my phone is bricked can I "undo" the damage and set it back to factory?
- once I root and I then decide I don't like it or something and I want to set it back to factory - is that possible? Setting it back to 100% 'stock'
- how does rooting effect Android system updates if I install a custom ROM?
- if I have a problem or need to exchange my phone (at the verizon store) can they tell if I have rooted my phone (if there is no custom from or themes)? And what happens to my warranty? And again: is the rooting process 100% reversable?

Last edited:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Usually you can fix anything you screw up on your phone. BUT a $700 paperweight IS always a possibility.
There are threads on restoring your phone to stock, it is quick and painless, I've done it, just to check it out. Most all ROMs block OTA updates... usually updates have the possibility to "break" root, and many ROMs are running bower software than stock.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unlocking and rooting the Nexus is fairly simple if you just follow the guides. People are just intimidated because they have to use the command prompt rather than just clicking a button.

As for bricking, you really don't have to worry too much about that since the Nexus is unlocked. As long as you can reach the boot loader, you're fine.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have an OG Droid from before I upgraded to the nexus so maybe I will try on that first before I try on my nexus...

Few more Qs:
- again: what's the difference between a kernel and a ROM?
- if my phone is bricked can I "undo" the damage and set it back to factory?
- once I root and I then decide I don't like it or something and I want to set it back to factory - is that possible? Setting it back to 100% 'stock'
- how does rooting effect Android system updates if I install a custom ROM?
- if I have a problem or need to exchange my phone (at the verizon store) can they tell if I have rooted my phone (if there is no custom from or themes)? And what happens to my warranty? And again: is the rooting process 100% reversable?

-A ROM is basically the software that you see on top. ROMs can differ in themes and other things as well. A kernel is basically what your phone uses to manage power.
- It's hard to really brick these devices, but it is a possibility. If you mess up a ROM then that's when you flash back to a backup.
- You can unroot and go back to factory settings
- You'll have to unroot before you return it. Do not try to exchange a device that is rooted. Rooting voids your warranty and Verizon will make a note in your account about the phone if you do show them (from what I've heard).

GeLopez

Reaction score
I just want to add a couple of advantages of rooting.... adfree and backups. Writing this while driving is really dangerous. don do it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just want to add a couple of advantages of rooting.... adfree and backups. Writing this while driving is really dangerous. don do it.
Way to tell us not to do it while you're committing the act right now:D

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
I just came across Go Launcher Pro and an curious now what the difference is about a ROM and a Launcher?? I always thought I needed to be rooted and load a ROM to get the themes and appearance changes I found out to be in the launchers?
What do custom ROMs have/do? I will still need to install a custom launcher to customize my phone right?

I do want a different lock screen and I do know I need to be rooted for that,right

Also there are some times when I want to share my 3/4g connection with my laptop (is that teethering??) and I read I need to be rooted in order to do it for free and simply, correct?

I really want to root my phone but I want to make sure I will benefit from it...
I am so confused sorry guys I know this is hella noob questions.

(GoLauncherPro is hella cool I can't believe I just found this)

mattym320

Reaction score
I took the big step just a few days ago. It is very scary. At first... but I'm happy and proud to say I flashed about 5 different roms this weekend. Its fun learning how ur vibe work and customizing everything. Keep reading and asking... u will get it!! :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just came across Go Launcher Pro and an curious now what the difference is about a ROM and a Launcher?? I always thought I needed to be rooted and load a ROM to get the themes and appearance changes I found out to be in the launchers?
What do custom ROMs have/do? I will still need to install a custom launcher to customize my phone right?

I do want a different lock screen and I do know I need to be rooted for that,right

Also there are some times when I want to share my 3/4g connection with my laptop (is that teethering??) and I read I need to be rooted in order to do it for free and simply, correct?

I really want to root my phone but I want to make sure I will benefit from it...
I am so confused sorry guys I know this is hella noob questions.

(GoLauncherPro is hella cool I can't believe I just found this)
A ROM has much more to do with the OS where at the Launcher just deals with the launcher... ROMs can have many different options, such as running at different speeds, better optimization, etc.

I suggest you read this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ne...-assistance/116993-new-android-check-out.html

droid_mike

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I have 30 years of working with computers and electronics.. have written assembly language, soldered chips, you name it! I was TERRIFIED to root the phone, because of the potential consequences--bricking. My hands were literally shaking when I tried it, but I used Wug's automated toolkit, and it went quite smoothly and now my phone is rooted and I am free!!!! I haven't flashed any rom's yet... probably won't for awhile. My hope is that with rooting, I can extend the life of my phone with custom roms to 3 years, since I don't like upgrading my phone until I completely worn it out. I was thinking about rooting my OG Droid and holding onto it a bit longer with some overclocking (will still do that), but the Nexus was too exciting to ignore, and I made the plunge.

Your mileage may vary, but I got through it OK! I'm glad I did it, but I'm also glad the ordeal initial worry is over with. I feel much braver now! I'll try some custom roms in the future, but for right now, I'm happy with stock and looking forward to 4.03 (I will get the OTA for that one, right?)

Last edited: