Benefit of rooting??

tilrman

Reaction score
I have the Bionic and I am considering the idea of rooting it. I am trying to find the pros/cons of doing this. Any thoughts?

nateohio

Reaction score
Well, for me its mainly being able too actually control what's installed and running on my device.

And being able to properly backup my apps and user data

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

catfisher

Reaction score
Well, for me its mainly being able too actually control what's installed and running on my device.

And being able to properly backup my apps and user data

I am not a Bionic owner but I am no stranger to rooting. I, along with lots of people, love the control that rooting gives you over what is or isn't on your phone. You can make it look nearly any way you want, run backup apps that work, and use your phone to it's digital potential.

It is a little scary the first time through the process but after that it is a breeze. After having a rooted Droid X forever and know the GNex...I don't know if I could go long without it. Take the plunge, join the dark side, and have some fun.

Oh, and my favorite part...basically flipping the bird to Verizon...don't forget once rooted to flip them the bird or else your phone fails and the world ends. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

nateohio

Reaction score
I am not a Bionic owner bit I am no stranger to rooting. I, along with lots of people, love the control that rooting gives you over what is or isn't on your phone. You can make it look nearly any way you want, run backup apps that work, and use your phone to it's digital potential.

It is a little scary the first time through the process but after that it is a breeze. After having a rooted Droid X forever and know the GNex...I don't know if I could go long without it. Take the plunge, join the dark side, and have some fun.

Oh, and my favorite part...basically flipping the bird to Verizon...don't forget once rooted to flip them the bird or else your phone fails and the world ends. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

For example, I HATE the stock battery icon so I used root privileges and installed a 10% honeycomb battery icon. Much prettier and it actually tells you how much battery you have left, while the stock icon goes from almost full to "I need a charge right now" within a few minutes.

Also, The stock colors on 3G/4G Signal strength indicators are hard for me to see outside, so I used root privileges to install colors that are friendlier to my eyes.

20120102075119.png You see the different battery icon, and signal strength indicators. Not only is the signal strength indicator a different color, when it is connected it also vertical versus horizontal like the stock icon. Just easier for me to see and use.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not rooted, nor do I have any plans to, but there are lots of things you can do with a rooted phone. There are apps that only a rooted phone can use, for example.

The biggest problem seems to be, other than user error (like deleting a bloatware app rather than just freezing), is updates can make you lose root. Even that problem can go away when people work on it.

There are many people, including a Rescue Squad, that'll help you with any problems. Read what you can about it so you know what to expect.

th3absurdhero

Reaction score
free wifi hotspot, neat custom themes, pull down widgets, webtop app with only hdmi cable, and most importantly a reason to religiously visit this forum dancedroid

idk5

Reaction score
Quick question will rooting prevent me from getting ics at all?

nateohio

Reaction score
Quick question will rooting prevent me from getting ics at all?

Very simple, No.Its what you do after rooting that can prevent you from upgrading. Just make sure that you can return to a stock system when the time comes

lykofos

Reaction score
Everyone has pretty much covered everything here: I rooted for many of the same reasons...so I can use certain root only apps, freeze the verizon bloat, backup my apps / data, install swype beta, free wifi hotspot, customize my startup boot animation, etc. There's quite a few of root apps in the market that give you a lot more functionality than being unrooted. Root Explorer and Titanium Backup Pro are must haves in my opinion. Here's the root required apps I currently have installed:

superuser.jpg

wseyller

Reaction score
Most people use it to freeze stock apps and also to make backups of apps and settings. These tasks are accomplished with titanium backup. Have you ever factory reset and had to start over? with the titanium backups you can restore your apps and settings in one click. Also you don't have to worry about losing app data such as your angry birds scores.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk