[SMS/MMS] GoSMS, Hand cent, or default?

ksaul

Reaction score
I am in the process of overhauling my gnexus and next on the list is my SMS/mms app.

Currently I am using the factory application (I just rooted) but was using GoSMS before I rooted and like the full list of customizations and settings.

On my OG Droid I was using Handcent which (to me at least) seemed identical so now I am looking for a 3rd,4th,5th etc... opinion and a pros/cons of each would be awesome!

Thanks community!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I haven't used Handcent in quite some time. Dumped it long ago for GoSMS Pro and never looked back. Like you said, it's very customisable and the built in backup/restore is nice if you flash a lot.

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
I haven't used Handcent in quite some time. Dumped it long ago for GoSMS Pro and never looked back. Like you said, it's very customisable and the built in backup/restore is nice if you flash a lot.

Very true didn't think about that. I havent loaded up a ROM yet but I plan to very soon and I am sure I'll be switching between a bunch until I find one I like.

What made you "never to look back"

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I use Handcent. Usually I use ChompSMS, but it wasn't working right with ICS at the time and Handcent was. Now I find it more of a hassle to switch back:D

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They're both very similar. I'm on hand cent right now, but switch every now and then

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very true didn't think about that. I havent loaded up a ROM yet but I plan to very soon and I am sure I'll be switching between a bunch until I find one I like.

What made you "never to look back"

Well it was most of a year ago and Handcent didn't have near the options at the time as Go had. I'm sure it's caught up since then but I've never had any reason to switch back.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I used to use Handsent. It was great especially for their greeting card MMSs you could send. But during the early GB ROMs for the OG, handsent didn't work well. So I went to Go and it was good to go. Over time however; Go was just too big for my OG so I went back to stock.

It works fine for what I need. Personally I don't need a whole lot of customization in my text messaging app, but that's just me.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I like GO SMS - great themes, SMS scheduler, has a few plug-ins that are to enhance the app (I don't use them, but they seem popular to some) and there is generally always weekly updates to the app.

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
Yeah I am leaning towards GoSMS but I might install and try hand cent for a day or two and see for myself.

Does anyone know which app allows you to set a delay before it trys to send the message in case you would want to cancel the message??

And what is the difference between the Pro version of GoSMS and free? Is it worth the money?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums while driving.
"Do not attempt. Texting and driving was preformed by a professional."

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I am leaning towards GoSMS but I might install and try hand cent for a day or two and see for myself.

Does anyone know which app allows you to set a delay before it trys to send the message in case you would want to cancel the message??

And what is the difference between the Pro version of GoSMS and free? Is it worth the money?

The Pro version is still free. It lets you choose which mode to run in, Pro or normal. I have it in normal. Near as I can tell it's just the plug-ins that are hidden if you aren't in Pro mode. Facebook chat is all I ever tried, not sure what the other ones are.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The Pro version of Go SMS is free :)...so it is definitely worth the money...

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
The Pro version of Go SMS is free :)...so it is definitely worth the money...

Lol well then I think I can afford that lol. I really should just check the market and investigate it myself before I post replies

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Lol well then I think I can afford that lol. I really should just check the market and investigate it myself before I post replies

Where is the fun in that tho ;)...it makes us feel like we are helping...LOL

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
Where is the fun in that tho ;)...it makes us feel like we are helping...LOL

Well I am glad I too am helping by uplifting everyone's e-selfesteem :)

OP
ksaul

ksaul

Reaction score
Hand cent seems to be much slower than gosms, but the factory messenger is faster than both of then (but lacking features, and ability to customize) so I think gosms is my choice