Question for those of you who have gotten new phones before upgrade.

Darksthour

Reaction score
So I have a droid 3 with an extended battery but really would like a nexus. I love my phone now but with the support and appeal of the nexus with its unlocked bootloader and lte I keep thinking of getting it. However i do not have an upgrade so I would have to pay full price. I was just wondering if there are people here who bought phones off contract and can fill me in on what you did (if anything) to get it at a discounted price. I would like the phone but $650 for it seems a little much.

Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

ramacker

Reaction score
My upgrade wasn't until May so I added another line to get my Bionic $10 a month.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The best you can do is sell your D3 on Craigslist or Swappa and buy the Nexus out right.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

voodooman128

Reaction score
U can add an extra line and swap the nexus with a dummy phone that way u will only pay the 10$ mth xtra line fee

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
With that new line is that a new customer? Also can I do that at wirefly or amazon for a discounted price or do I have to go through Verizon.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
With that new line is that a new customer? Also can I do that at wirefly or amazon for a discounted price or do I have to go through Verizon.

Don't switch the lines if you do...Amazon will charge you an ETF if you don't keep the phone on the upgraded line for 6 months

Reaction score
Don't switch the lines if you do...Amazon will charge you an ETF if you don't keep the phone on the upgraded line for 6 months

Not sure if this is true. It may be but curious if anyone has actually had that happen. I did this with letstalk.com and they gave the same warning but I didn't care, got my new phone, switched it to my line and put a dummy phone of the new line and all its well. No fees or charges.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. If I could keep my number with the new phone and how long I had to have the family plan. I would assume just don't renew it after the 2 years. Plus i was looking on wirefly and i was curious as to how I would do all this from there. I'm pretty sure if I go to the Verizon store they won't take kindly to me just adding another line to get a phone for the discount.

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
Also would I lose my unlimited at plan as well doing this?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also would I lose my unlimited at plan as well doing this?

No. Unlimited is tied to the line. Getting a new line and moving the new phone over will still keep you grandfathered.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So I have a droid 3 with an extended battery but really would like a nexus. I love my phone now but with the support and appeal of the nexus with its unlocked bootloader and lte I keep thinking of getting it. However i do not have an upgrade so I would have to pay full price. I was just wondering if there are people here who bought phones off contract and can fill me in on what you did (if anything) to get it at a discounted price. I would like the phone but $650 for it seems a little much.
I cant ever seeing buying a phone off contract for $650. I would just go to eBay before that and buy a slightly older phone for $200. You could always try to unload your Droid 3 on eBay ahead of time to defray the costs.

Verizon was very hardline with me...I could not upgrade till the DAY of my contract renewal...period.

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
Damn this is really tempting. Just not sure if it's really worth it to pay for the extra line for 2 years. 10 bucks every month adds up. Maybe if the phone was free with an upgrade.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Damn this is really tempting. Just not sure if it's really worth it to pay for the extra line for 2 years. 10 bucks every month adds up. Maybe if the phone was free with an upgrade.

If a new phone like the Nexus was free with an upgrade then Verizon wouldn't make much money. You gotta pay to play:p

voodooman128

Reaction score
From wat i know it is best to do it at a store. It might have to be a third party store.but u buy the phone for an add a line then switch the phone to ur recent number and put a dumb phone on the new line at the same time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Darksthour

Darksthour

Reaction score
OK last question on this then I'm done. I was looking at the plan mumbo jumbo and instead of an extra 10 a month it went from 59.99 to 99.99. Is that something new on Verizon's end? or does that not matter when I get the dumb phone on the 2nd line and it doesn't need the data?