Need Help Upgrading on a Family Plan

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Go through Costco using the phone that has the eligible upgrade. Costco's prices are cheaper sooner, they will throw in a few accessories for free and when you get the phone, you can activate any number you want without any penalties. Wirefly, Amazon and many others do not allow this. Verizon and Costco do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

fishhelmet

Reaction score
You can also do it at staples, its the same company as the one at costco. Didn't get any free acessories though.......

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You can also do it at staples, its the same company as the one at costco. Didn't get any free acessories though.......

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Boy, if that's the case, Staples may be easier being that there are Staples stores all over the place, especially if they offer the same prices... you could go do it personally in the store rather than online and they probably would do it the same as Verizon would ( use the family member's upgrade but activate the phone on your number).

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
From what I understand, wirefly and amazon cannot do alternate upgrades. To go through Wirefly, the upgrade has to be on your line. You would need to upgrade your wife's line since the upgrade is on there, but then you would need to leave the phone on her line for 6 months or you will get hit by Wirefly's ETF penalty. You can only do alternate upgrades through Verizon (not sure but I think Best Buy may be able to do alternate upgrades as well).

Ok, but if i switch the upgrade to my line through VZW, will it show up on Wirefly as me being upgradable?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Go through Costco using the phone that has the eligible upgrade. Costco's prices are cheaper sooner, they will throw in a few accessories for free and when you get the phone, you can activate any number you want without any penalties. Wirefly, Amazon and many others do not allow this. Verizon and Costco do.

OK thanks.

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Yea, but the line thats sharing the upgrade doesn't have a data plan, and has a basic phone.

Will they be able to get it without buying a separate data plan?

-EDIT- nvm

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That I'm not sure but I think you can. The best thing to do would be to call Costco and ask. They were great when I called them. Also, if Staples and Costco are the same, then you can probably go into a staples store and purchase the phone on your eligible upgrade and activate your phone on the new phone without getting a separate data plan. I know you are able to do that at Verizon.