Need Help Upgrading on a Family Plan

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
My upgrade is in January 2013 (I can't wait that long!!), while a family members of mine (who shares a plan with me) is on December 2011.

However, she is fine with her phone, and would have to pay for tiered prices anyway.

Can I use her upgrade on my line, and still keep my unlimited date? I am trying to find a way to get the Bionic/Prime/GS2/Vigor without paying 600+ dollars off-contract.

Thanks.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
My way of planning it like that:
-Requires 3 phones
-Your phone now
-Her phone
-The new phone (or any phone with same carrier)
Activate her phone to the new phone.
After that, u can activate her phone number back to her old phone, if it can. (Call *228 & so on)
Than u do the same but to the new phone.
Than you get the new phone (Bionic, Prime, etc.) and she gets her old one but it extends her contract.
I'm not 100% sure if itll work but I'm sure it might.

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
My upgrade is in January 2013 (I can't wait that long!!), while a family members of mine (who shares a plan with me) is on December 2011.

However, she is fine with her phone, and would have to pay for tiered prices anyway.

Can I use her upgrade on my line, and still keep my unlimited date? I am trying to find a way to get the Bionic/Prime/GS2/Vigor without paying 600+ dollars off-contract.

Thanks.

And yes u do get to keep ur unlimited data I think

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

jseah

Reaction score

Thanks.

So what you're saying is that you upgraded this year in May (three months ago) and now you are already tired of your phone and want to upgrade?

N4UPD

Reaction score
I upgraded back in may also upgraded wifes phone but payed full price for hers, they gave me an early upgrade. we have the lg revolution and gave the original droids to the kids so we all would be grandfathered into unlimited data ans I also got the unlimited 4g hotspot.Anyway while i was at a verizon store I asked a rep that we had 3 upgrades and could me and the wife use those upgrades to get a new phone and give our kids the revolutions we have and he said yes.

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
But could i also just have her order the phone, and then i call *228 and just put my number to activate it on?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

lemodular

Reaction score

Thanks.

Yes, Verizon allows upgrade transfers. Logon to their web site and go to "Upgrade Device", there you get an option to transfer upgrades.

nikecar

Reaction score

Thanks.

So what you're saying is that you upgraded this year in May (three months ago) and now you are already tired of your phone and want to upgrade?
+1

Does your family member have a data plan?

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

No I got my phone May 2010.
Then when I got a replacement in March 2011, they said I could pay $90 for a brand new DroidX. I did, and it started my 2 Year Contract again.
Then I bought a D3 on cragslist for $280.

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
+1<br>
<br>
Does your family member have a data plan?
<br><br>No.&nbsp;<br><br>Will that be a problem when using it?

I have the only smartphone, so wouldn't I not be able to activate it on the line, and then transfer to mine, since I need to buy the 30/month data plan?

But I guess I could just go to VZW.com and hit transfer upgrade when its ready.

jseah

Reaction score
No. Will that be a problem when using it?

I have the only smartphone, so wouldn't I not be able to activate it on the line, and then transfer to mine, since I need to buy the 30/month data plan?

But I guess I could just go to VZW.com and hit transfer upgrade when its ready.

If the other line is eligible for an upgrade, you can always do an alternate upgrade which essentially "moves" the upgrade from her line to yours. This way you can upgrade your line and never touch her line.

Without the alternate upgrade, you can upgrade her line, activate the phone on her line (this needs to be done to accept the new contract) and then immediately reactivate her old non-smartphone. When you activate the smartphone on her line, it will prompt you to add a data plan. But when you switch the phone back, then you can remove the data plan. Since the data plan is added and removed in the same day, you don't have to pay anything (the data plan has to show up on the line for at least one day in order to trigger any prorated cost).

jseah

Reaction score
No I got my phone May 2010.
Then when I got a replacement in March 2011, they said I could pay $90 for a brand new DroidX. I did, and it started my 2 Year Contract again.
Then I bought a D3 on cragslist for $280.

Oh, ok. I get it. So when your phone failed, rather than getting a refurb as a warranty replacement, they gave you the option to get a new handset for a fee plus a contract extension?

OP
D

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Oh, ok. I get it. So when your phone failed, rather than getting a refurb as a warranty replacement, they gave you the option to get a new handset for a fee plus a contract extension?

Yea.

One more question.

If I move the upgrade to my line, can i still go to wirefly and buy an upgrade for my line?

jseah

Reaction score
Yea.

One more question.

If I move the upgrade to my line, can i still go to wirefly and buy an upgrade for my line?

From what I understand, wirefly and amazon cannot do alternate upgrades. To go through Wirefly, the upgrade has to be on your line. You would need to upgrade your wife's line since the upgrade is on there, but then you would need to leave the phone on her line for 6 months or you will get hit by Wirefly's ETF penalty. You can only do alternate upgrades through Verizon (not sure but I think Best Buy may be able to do alternate upgrades as well).