Annual Upgrade Question

Detonation

Reaction score
Based on if you meet the right plan requirements, I know that a year into your contract you can sign up for a new 2 year contract and get a new phone at contract pricing. However, can you sign up for a one year contract at this time and still get the (slightly less) discounted phone?

I'm halfway through my 2 year contract right now and could use my annual upgrade to get a new phone, basically tacking on another year to my current contract (pushing it to this time 2012). However, I don't really want to make my contract any longer since its possible I can get a phone free through work.

I gave a quick call to CS with this question, and the guy did say I could sign a one year contract at my annual upgrade. Maybe he didn't understand my question though, since it doesn't make any sense for Verizon to let you get a discounted phone on an "upgrade" that doesn't extend your contract at all.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on if you meet the right plan requirements, I know that a year into your contract you can sign up for a new 2 year contract and get a new phone at contract pricing. However, can you sign up for a one year contract at this time and still get the (slightly less) discounted phone?

I'm halfway through my 2 year contract right now and could use my annual upgrade to get a new phone, basically tacking on another year to my current contract (pushing it to this time 2012). However, I don't really want to make my contract any longer since its possible I can get a phone free through work.

I gave a quick call to CS with this question, and the guy did say I could sign a one year contract at my annual upgrade. Maybe he didn't understand my question though, since it doesn't make any sense for Verizon to let you get a discounted phone on an "upgrade" that doesn't extend your contract at all.
If you got your current phone at the 2 year pricing and you decide you want to upgrade after one year, you can however since you didn't fulfill your 2 year agreement, you'll be able to get one year pricing on the new phone, not the full 2 year pricing.

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
Wow I'm surprised they allow this. The difference between 2 year and 1 year pricing is what, like $70? I'll gladly pay an extra $70 to keep my options open in a year...its less than a month of service!

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
Another quick question...can you do the annual upgrade through a third party (Amazon, Walmart, etc) or does it have to be Verizon?