Pros and cons of rooting?

jdcaddell

Reaction score
OK so this isn't my first Droid, I had the original Droid and a Droid x but switched to the iPhone the day it came out on vzw. Both my old droids were rooted at the time but there weren't a whole lot of stuff I could do with it in stock form unlike my razr. My question is really this, what's some of the pros and cons? Is it really worth it, or should I just leave it stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Chambumbo

Reaction score
I think if you are going to use rooting features such as hotspots tethering or overclocking you should root. I am a big rooting fan but so far i love the razr just like it comes is super fast and diez not need overclocking plus you should wait till an. Sbf is released for safety reasons

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

zoo16

Reaction score
I've had Droid, Droid2, DroidX and now have Bionic and Razr. With the first 3, I rooted mostly to run custom software (ROMs) to help speed up the device and customize the phone. I also love having a complete backup of the whole phone in case it was damaged/lost/destroyed. With Bionic and Razr, they already have great software, so I only rooted them to make complete backups. Hope that helps you.

eric.scheman

Reaction score
The main reason i use rooting for is the tethering and to make backups and freeze apps.

fellers

Reaction score
Why do you need to root to tether? I do.t understand it all the way i guess. But why not use an app like easy tether lite to tether your phone? Someone educate me??

eric.scheman

Reaction score
Why do you need to root to tether? I do.t understand it all the way i guess. But why not use an app like easy tether lite to tether your phone? Someone educate me??

You don't need root if you use another app like that which is fine. I just like the no usb wires and the mobile hotspot that it comes with is nice and I kinda feel like I'm getting one over Verizon to get it for free haha

HarleyDad09

Reaction score
Once an SBF is out there, I will root, but only to make my Razr a hotspot and to freeze bloatware. Everything else is awesome with the Razr. I got the OG on 6 Nov 09 (Launch Day) rooted it and the X shorty after launch and rooted it. There is just so much that I want out of a phone already there!

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Glad I searched for this thread as I'm pretty curious about rooting, but I'm not really sure how much good it will do me.

So after reading this page, I'm gathering that the only real reason to root a Bionic is for wireless tethering, and freezing bloatware?

I like my phone, but I can't help thinking I'm not even coming close to reaching its full capabilities, so either I have not dug deep enough in the Market, or there's something else I'm missing.

I have some customization done with Go Launcher EX and a couple (free) themes and lock screens and believe it or not, I almost think I have gotten it to behave just a bit more smoothly. I also use pretty common apps, Facebook, Twitter, weather, forums, banking, etc. I've even used ZumoCast before for music, and have had no real issues.

Is there anything else useful that rooting can help someone do that absolutely cannot be done without it?

Kimo91

Reaction score
I want to root my Razr and loved my D2G when I rooted it but with the Razr I'm waiting on SBF of some kind before I root. SBR saved my D2G from bricking many a times

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pro of rooting = increased awesome leveldancedroid and sex appeal +5
Con of rooting = not being rooted :p awesome level - 200

Dave315

Reaction score
To Root or Not to Root (just yet)

I haven't rooted yet -- and am wondering if, since ICS is supposedly coming very soon, it might be better to wait to root until after the update. Any thoughts?

jtsativa420

Reaction score
I haven't rooted yet -- and am wondering if, since ICS is supposedly coming very soon, it might be better to wait to root until after the update. Any thoughts?

Completely your call but, with things like root keeper and fastboot files, you have options to get the update (when released) and still keep root.