Potential Problem?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by andymellon4, Nov 2, 2009.

1. andymellon4

andymellon4 New Member

2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

do not reconsider.. all the apps in the android library that you will ever use will not take up the space given. well, maybe, but you would have to put a LOT of apps on your phone...
  3. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

and welcome to the machine!
  4. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the site.. Thats a great question and I'm really not sure of the answer.. I've been doing research like crazy and will post anything I find...
  5. andymellon4

andymellon4 New Member

Thanks and I read that and instantly had cause for concern how many avergae sized apps would fit on this phone?
  6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

So far from what i've seen most of the apps that people are looking at putting on their phone with the exception of certain games, really do not take up much space at all. You shouldn't have an issue putting the apps that you want on the phone.
  7. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

i dont see it being an issue i dont recall if i was reading a post somewhere or watching a video but the average G1 user has 41 applications installed on the phone. The G1 only has 71 mb of app memory.

i think 256 will be plenty for anything you would want to install.
  8. garrett

9. garrett

it doesn't go in to say if they kept all the apps on the phone at one time but typically once something is downloaded its kept on the phone unless its total shit.
  10. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

I wouldn't reconsider here.The Storm1 has only 128 and the S2 has 256 also. I have 41 apps on my S1 and still bot with 30mb available. Now I don't have any games but overall it should be fine.
  11. jdubbs23

jdubbs23 New Member

The big issue here isn't necessarily not having enough space to run lots of common apps, but not having enough space to install one large gaming application along with the numerous small apps. This is because Android doesn't allow you to use the microSD card to run applications off of.

I think on-board storage is fine for the majority of apps, but this limitation Android has is preventing developers from developing large size apps like the awesome gaming apps you'd find on the iPhone.
  12. garrett

you also have to realize with the blackberries the operating system shares the same memory as the installed 3rd party apps. As far as i know the Droid has dedicated system storage and then 256 dedicated to application memory.

this is just from what i have read... if i'm mistaken please dont hesitate to correct me.
  13. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I think your making more of a point for him, if he has the OS and 41 apps installed with 30MB available then i think most people should be fine. Other then those that want amazing games on it.
  14. jdubbs23

jdubbs23 New Member

Ya and I guess I'm not one to want really amazing games on the phone either.

However, I believe that the success of the iPhone, and for that matter any new smartphone is the availability of good apps and lots of developers that are writing those apps.

If developers are turned off from developing new interesting applications on the Android platform due to this storage limitation, then thats bad for Android as a future mobile OS.
  15. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I think with a lot of people screaming for this, it should be a top priority for them to get it up and working as soon as possible.
  16. andymellon4

andymellon4 New Member

That problem wont be fixed until the next droid though right? Or is it software that is the problem? and i am the person who would have oe major game and a lot of litle apps
  17. jdubbs23

jdubbs23 New Member

This "problem" can be looked at in 2 ways.

It is a hardware design problem, in that the device does not include more on-board RAM. It is a software problem in that Google/Android to not allow the use of the the SDcard (external storage) for running applications.
  18. gardobus

gardobus New Member

The problem is software because I doubt Android phones are going to have hard drives any time soon. If you root an Android device, you can install apps on the SD card. That alone tells you that the issue can be fixed using software.

One thing to note though is many apps can install in the memory and then store data on the SD card. So if there is a game with a lot of textures, some mp3 music, and a movie or two, the developer can choose to store the music/movie on the SD card or something to save internal space. The apps can use the SD card just fine, they just can't reside there entirely.

This is from what I've read anyway.
Search tags for this page

potential problems with android