new guy with ? on task killer

ultra09hd

Reaction score
hey all, been reading the 27 page thread about task killers... interesting read, and ive gone a removed mine, task killer x. was looking at some of the system usage stats that was posted and heres mine as of now

display 38%
idle 21%
standby 18%
android system 10%
android os 3%
market 2%
launcher pro 2%
anti virus 2%
gallery 2%
maps 2%
mobi.mgeek.tunnybrowser 2%

after looking at what some others posted why and how do i find whats causing my idle, standby, and system % to be so freaking high compared to others?
ive only had my droid for few months and trying to learn more about this kewl phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How to Use a Task Manager
Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. This also applies to any other task killer / management program. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly. The "End All" feature can be used if your phone/device is performing poorly and you are uncertain of the cause.

Process Types
The SystemPanel process listing groups applications into three categories: "Active", "Inactive", and "Internal":

• Active applications are actually running at the present time on the device. An active application may be running in the background and not have any information currently displayed on the screen.
  • Inactive applications have been preloaded into memory, but are not actually using up any system resources. Such applications will not consume any battery power whatsoever. The memory used by these applications can be immediately reclaimed should other applications require it. As such, there is no need to manually remove these applications, as you will see no tangible benefit from doing so.
  • Internal applications are those which are part of the Android operating system itself. Some of these applications may be terminated manually, but they will be immediately restarted afterward by the OS."

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
i get that, what about the last part of my post?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i get that, what about the last part of my post?
Could be the apps you have running that are syncing data.... ie facebook, weather apps, news apps, anything constantly pushing and receiving data could contribute.

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
sooo. how do i see whats doing what? nothing is syncing, its turned off, gps was on due to weather...but how i see whats currently running and such? my standby and idle % is way more than whats been posted in the thread but i have no idea how to see whats doing what

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Hello....can someone tell me how to find what's actively running...

fishstick600

Reaction score
Are you in an area that has poor signal? Because standby% is generally your radio running in the background and it may be constantly looking for signal

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When your phone is sleeping, about the only thing using battery is idle and standby. Those percentages look normal.

Android system looks high and, as mentioned, it's probably your sync settings (do you have email polling every 5 minutes or something and widgets updating every 30 minutes?)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
hey all, been reading the 27 page thread about task killers... interesting read, and ive gone a removed mine, task killer x. was looking at some of the system usage stats that was posted and heres mine as of now

display 38%
idle 21%
standby 18%
android system 10%
android os 3%
market 2%
launcher pro 2%
anti virus 2%
gallery 2%
maps 2%
mobi.mgeek.tunnybrowser 2%

after looking at what some others posted why and how do i find whats causing my idle, standby, and system % to be so freaking high compared to others?
ive only had my droid for few months and trying to learn more about this kewl phone.

You don't say how much battery use these percentages represent. If, for example, you turn on your fully charged phone and check the battery use fifteen minutes later, you may have used, say, 2% of your battery. Of that 2%, 38% may have been used for the display.

In other words, if you're not using your phone heavily, activities such as standby and basic maintenance will constitute a larger percentage of the amount of power you do use. As you engage in more activities, your use profile will change.

Finally, if you want to look at the way your phone is using resources, download SystemPanel from the Market.

P.S. You might want to consider removing the virus app from your phone. They're known to create problems.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think your percentages are that high. It's all relative, as jsh1120 points out.

REMOVE ANTIVIRUS

DON'T KILL TASKS

DON'T INSTALL CRAP APPS THAT RUN ON BOOT FOR NO REASON OR ASK FOR TOO MANY PRIVILEGES

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
k, anti virus is gone ( is the phone sesaptable to virus with out?)
task killer is gone
ill try it again morrow while at work and on the road morrow eve, going on a 500 mile cycle trip, but my charger will be in use most likely for that for the gps and pandoradancedroid

fishstick600

Reaction score
You have to remember that ur driod is a linux based device and it is almost immune to viruses. The best thing you can do for your battery is turn r display all the way down and use the android power widget. If your outside turn your display up. I generally get 12 hours of heavy use a day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk