new guy with ? on task killer

fishstick600

Reaction score
k, anti virus is gone ( is the phone sesaptable to virus with out?)
task killer is gone
ill try it again morrow while at work and on the road morrow eve, going on a 500 mile cycle trip, but my charger will be in use most likely for that for the gps and pandoradancedroid

bicycle trip? 500 miles would take you a loooooong time XD

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
How to Use a Task Manager
Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. This also applies to any other task killer / management program. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly. The "End All" feature can be used if your phone/device is performing poorly and you are uncertain of the cause.

Process Types
The SystemPanel process listing groups applications into three categories: "Active", "Inactive", and "Internal":

• Active applications are actually running at the present time on the device. An active application may be running in the background and not have any information currently displayed on the screen.
  • Inactive applications have been preloaded into memory, but are not actually using up any system resources. Such applications will not consume any battery power whatsoever. The memory used by these applications can be immediately reclaimed should other applications require it. As such, there is no need to manually remove these applications, as you will see no tangible benefit from doing so.
  • Internal applications are those which are part of the Android operating system itself. Some of these applications may be terminated manually, but they will be immediately restarted afterward by the OS."

What a flawless response. As hookbill said, that single post should have its own thread. Once and for all.

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
No.no.no..motorcycle of course. Check my screen name.LOL.

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Ill check that system thing out. I thought the one on the phone was for battery use...so it's only for when it's turned on from a full charge and changes throught the day of use...k..learning stuff here now..thanks

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
System panel lite/ app. Taskiller. The one from nextapp?

ffej89

Reaction score
Yea system panel has a lite version. I paid the 2.99 (i think) for the full version. This app is great and will show you why you dont need a killer. It shows a list of all your apps and tasks and the cpu they use, or dont use if not running. If for some reason you start to loose performance or battery life its easy to find the culprit.
Just remember like someone stated in one of the previous posts the kill all option is not for everyday use its just for issues you cant seem to work out. I haven't used it once

Yes Martin another thumbs up from me. This should be a mandatory read for new android customers lol

OP
ultra09hd

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Got the lite version installed. What is on the full that's not in lite? I read the about info and was surprised by the info.

upsjopop

Reaction score
"The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed".

I guess this is the issue that bothers me the most. Why the heck would the system decide apps like Amazon or KeyRing needed to be launched unless there was something shady going on. Call me suspicious but I never had PDAnet or My Verizon launch on their own. Now since 2.2 they both do together. Huh? Big Brother, me thinks is watching!

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Your percentages look reasonable to me, look a lot like mine actually. Like jsh1120 said, remember that these are percentages, and thus relative to each other.

Example-If you turn on your phone, and just keep it in your pocket never using the screen, the display would be at a very low power consumption and thus all the others like standby and system would appear high. But if you turn on the phone, and do something with the screen constantly on, you will have a huge display percentage, and relatively low system, standby, etc. even though nothing has changed other than the screen being on vs off.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
"The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed".

I guess this is the issue that bothers me the most. Why the heck would the system decide apps like Amazon or KeyRing needed to be launched unless there was something shady going on. Call me suspicious but I never had PDAnet or My Verizon launch on their own. Now since 2.2 they both do together. Huh? Big Brother, me thinks is watching!

This always bothered me too (for slightly different reasons) I wish android would learn what apps to put in the memory. It seems like its always random unhelpful ones, when it could learn what apps i use most, and populate the memory with them instead.