Phone may be bricked/roasted?

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
I don't think JIT can do that from what I understand, which isn't much.

Here's a link to it on wiki.

JIT

Well, what started the reboots and freezing was enabling JIT through the JIT program on the market. So, it was either a botched write by the application or the JIT itself. I did nothing else out of the ordinary but install and run this application.

could be a fried battery. another person had similar issue and a new battery got him going.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

as mentioned, on my way home I picked up a new battery, which allowed me to flash .sbf in the first place.

did you leave it in the charger for awhile before trying to boot up?

Indeed I did.

G

gavron

If you hold down the "X" key on the hard keyboard going from power off to full on, does it show ANY recovery console?

E

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
when your phone did boot do you remember how much charge was on the battery?
does light come on with wall charger now or still only on laptop?

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
when your phone did boot do you remember how much charge was on the battery?
does light come on with wall charger now or still only on laptop?

Although only approximate, it was about 3/4 full charge. The light comes on with wall charger but only briefly. It turns off and the M logo hangs. Laptop it the charging light turns on, but actual phone does not. [Just like before]

If you hold down the "X" key on the hard keyboard going from power off to full on, does it show ANY recovery console?

E

No recovery console. Stays stuck on the M logo with no change.

Battery pull is the only thing that will allow it to attempt a reboot, but I'm afraid to brick this new battery like I did the last one (supposedly). Bah.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
have you tried getting to recovery while its plugged into your laptop?

G

gavron

The good news is you can't brick a battery.

If you're running Windows you can try flashing the SBF file of the 2.01 system. That will work while you're connected (and charging) on USB.

We all talk about "bricking" but honestly nothing produced in the last five years can be bricked. They ALL have a primitive bootloader that will allow restoring something.

RSDlite is the windows software that flashes the 2.01 SBF. This will factory-default your phone.

Afteward you can use DMUpdater to re-root, install SPRecovery, and nandroid-restore your phone.

E

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

If you're running Windows you can try flashing the SBF file of the 2.01 system. That will work while you're connected (and charging) on USB.

We all talk about "bricking" but honestly nothing produced in the last five years can be bricked. They ALL have a primitive bootloader that will allow restoring something.

RSDlite is the windows software that flashes the 2.01 SBF. This will factory-default your phone.

Afteward you can use DMUpdater to re-root, install SPRecovery, and nandroid-restore your phone.

E

he's tried this twice since new battery used

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score

E

Well, for whatever reason my original battery won't charge. Like jstafford has said above, I've flashed 2.0.1 .sbf twice since using the new battery.

have you tried getting to recovery while its plugged into your laptop?

It will not get to recovery.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
i hate to say it but a trip to verizon might be in your future. they can try their rsd( full version) and if not should replace the phone.

G

gavron

1. Turn it off
2. Hold down the X key
3. Turn it on while still holding the X key down

Please report back what you get. A trip to Verizon is not in your future.

E

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
i hate to say it but a trip to verizon might be in your future. they can try their rsd( full version) and if not should replace the phone.

You mean a second trip, right? (since I got the battery today) :p

I have a replacement on its way as we speak. I wonder what happened though and how I can avoid this in the future. As you can see from the threads I linked a few replies earlier, this isn't an isolated case...

Thank you all kindly for your ideas and replies, though. DF is the best. :heart::motdroidhoriz:

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
1. Turn it off
2. Hold down the X key
3. Turn it on while still holding the X key down

Please report back what you get. A trip to Verizon is not in your future.

E

Hmm. I held down X but waited a about 10 seconds before pressing and holding the power button. Stock recovery turns on now. I'm at the exclamation point screen.

G

gavron

Download the "update.zip" that roots your phone and run it.

After your phone is rooted... you will be able to nandroid recover your backups.

Ehud

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
Download the "update.zip" that roots your phone and run it.

After your phone is rooted... you will be able to nandroid recover your backups.

Ehud

How can I get the update.zip to my SD card through my phone? I don't have a microSD/SD adapter.