Phone may be bricked/roasted?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
i dont know what to tell ya, if you got a replacement coming just dont use that JIT app or even look at it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
i dont know what to tell ya, if you got a replacement coming just dont use that JIT app or even look at it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Won't even consider it. That app is bad news. I should've just stuck to my (albeit limited, but reliable) ADB skills.

Excuse a maybe dumb question, but are you getting into SPRecovery or Stock Recovery?

Mike

Stock.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Been watching, lots of good advice all around. When the battery dies it can sometimes take a while. Did the store trade you for a new one or did you buy a new one? I'm asking because it would be interesting to know if it recharges if you leave it on a long time. I'm also interested in knowing if the little LED next to the cord plug on your phone lights up with either battery in there. Looks like you're making progress.

Trust me...usually it doesn't take long to root, be up and running and having a good time.

Also trust me...when it doesn't it sucks. Hang in there.

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
Been watching, lots of good advice all around. When the battery dies it can sometimes take a while. Did the store trade you for a new one or did you buy a new one? I'm asking because it would be interesting to know if it recharges if you leave it on a long time. I'm also interested in knowing if the little LED next to the cord plug on your phone lights up with either battery in there. Looks like you're making progress.

Trust me...usually it doesn't take long to root, be up and running and having a good time.

Also trust me...when it doesn't it sucks. Hang in there.

Thanks, yeah, I don't take any of this for granted. You guys have been really helpful and patient with my situation. I was hoping this could be a textbook thread that could help others, and even if there isn't success with my phone (at the moment), I'm hoping others are able to utilize it for ideas.

My replacement was catered to over the phone (Verizon's customer service is great).

The original battery didn't charge at all when I left it charging in the wall while I was at work for a full day. I left and it booted to M logo, with no charging light on; when I came back it was still at the M logo, with no charging light on, and the phone quite hot to touch.

The new battery is reacting similarly to the first, the only difference is that this new one actually has some charge on it (but it still appears to not be able to charge on its own). I'm scared to plug it in as it may discharge like the first one to the point of not working (or so it appears).

Yeah, I'm not worried about getting it to root and running titanium backup and all that jazz again, but over the past couple days the state of my phone and battery has gotten progressively worse. When I find some success, another problem crops up.

I will see if I can find some time to pick up an SD/micro adapter tomorrow and see if I can get back to the stock recovery screen to run the update.zip. I won't attempt to charge before then, though.

Or, I will just wait for the Evo 4G to come out and switch to Sprint! :icon_eek:

Mikejl

Reaction score
Excuse a maybe dumb question, but are you getting into SPRecovery or Stock Recovery?

Mike

Stock.

Current goals? Just to recap.
First off I was going to caution not to try this without a more seasoned pro chiming in and giving a nod of approval. ;)

I got myself into a similar situation when I was switching roms a couple of weeks ago and found myself back at the stock recovery and no way to get any data added to the SD card.

I had heard about sbf as a last resort and made an assumption that the recovery option available to me "wipe data/factory reset" was what was meant by doing an sbf recovery (don't ask me why).

I did the "wipe data/factory reset" and it worked. My droid booted and I immediately had to setup programming the phone by pressing 1 and from there is was smooth sailing, back at 2.01.

I was thinking this may work in this case. It did for me. Maybe I got lucky.

Mike

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did the "wipe data/factory reset" and it worked. My droid booted and I immediately had to setup programming the phone by pressing 1 and from there is was smooth sailing, back at 2.01.

Mike

This has worked for more than one person. Sometimes we spend hours trying to save 20 minutes of redownloading apps. "5 more minutes" suddenly feels like days.

There should be a backup copy already made, so doing this shouldn't hurt.

Or, I will just wait for the Evo 4G to come out and switch to Sprint! :icon_eek:

doh!

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score

Mike

This has worked for more than one person. Sometimes we spend hours trying to save 20 minutes of redownloading apps. "5 more minutes" suddenly feels like days.

doh!

Before doing any flashing I always wipe data/factory reset regardless.
And, haha; you know you want the Evo!

droidman101

Reaction score

Mike

doh!

Wipe both again and see what happens-worked for me when i did sbf
:icon_ banana:

Last edited:

Mikejl

Reaction score

Mike

doh!

You misunderstand what I meant. From the state you're in now, try "wipe data/factory reset" and see if it will boot.

It worked for me YMMV.

Mike

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score

doh!

You misunderstand what I meant. From the state you're in now, try "wipe data/factory reset" and see if it will boot.

It worked for me YMMV.

Mike

Ah, alright.

Hmm. I'm unable to boot to stock recovery now. X+ power on and X before +power on both get me to the M logo. :mad:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm unable to boot to stock recovery now. X+ power on and X before +power on both get me to the M logo. :mad:

Hold down X. Power on the phone. I don't have to keep holding both keys, but you can if you want to. As long as I keep holding X I get the Moto logo first and then I get the bootloader (recovery) screen. Are you waiting for it?

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score

Hold down X. Power on the phone. I don't have to keep holding both keys, but you can if you want to. As long as I keep holding X I get the Moto logo first and then I get the bootloader (recovery) screen. Are you waiting for it?

Indeed I'm waiting while holding X. Something exaggeratedly so, around 3-5 minutes. Stuck on the M.

OP
droiduser5

droiduser5

Reaction score
Hmm, OK I battery pulled and let it sit for a few minutes.

I was able to get to stock recovery. I wipe/reset data and cache twice, then reboot through the stock recovery.

It reboot but I've been stuck on the M screen for about 5 minutes [basically no change from before].

edit1: Going to swing by a Best Buy and pick up an SD card adapter and try an update.zip.

Last edited: