1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone may be bricked/roasted?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by droiduser5, Apr 8, 2010.

1. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

Been running 5.0.5.7 Cyanogen fine on 600-1000mhz. Decided to try the new JIT app on the Market, and it caused my phone to reboot loop or hang then reloop (JIT has worked fine before when I entered it manually through build.prop and file install).

Tried to do Nandroid backup restores, a few were successful but then when I got to the home screen it would freeze and reboot. These were done with complete wipes.

Then completely wiped and installed a fresh 5.0.5.7 rom through clockwork recovery. It worked but then would hang when I went to my launcher.

It was at this point when it looped, it would get stuck on the M screen. Sometimes it would get to the Droid eye but then freeze.

Now it will not turn on unless I plug it directly into AC. Note, when it is plugged directly into AC the charging light doesn't turn on, but the screen is stuck on the M logo. I can boot into Clockwork recovery when holding X. Whenever I try to flash anything, I get bad MD5 checksums or it freezes.

I then wiped my SD card and even tried booting with the SD card removed.

When I plug it into a USB port on my computer, the phone will not turn on but the charging light appears to be on.

When the phone hangs, I have to do a battery pull to reboot (if it is even successful at that).

I left it plugged in all day on the AC and apparently it's been on the M logo all day because that's where I left it and that's where it is now after I came home from work (12 hours later).

I'm now letting it "charge" (if it IS doing that) on the phone, through my computer USB. I'll check in an hour to see if it held any charge.

I will attempt to flash a 2.0.1 .sbf (since this was the only .sbf I have flashed before, I will go with what works).

I pretty much outlined all the scenarios I just went through. Does anyone have any more ideas? Thanks DF.
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Plug it back into the wall. It charges faster on the wall cahrger. Also, can you tell me if you can actually get into bootloader? Press up on the dpad when powering on if you couldn't remember. Just out of curiosity.
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

before you flash sbf try installing another rom; ie UD 9.0. Get your phone back up and flash sp recovery from rom manager. This will allow you to flash your sprecovery nandroid backup. In otherwords get you out of clockwork recovery so you can start over clean in you choose.
  4. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

I left it in the wall all day, but like I had said it appeared it didn't charge. :-/ Bootloader works fine, but says battery is low and it cannot program.

OK I will try this.

edit: Hmm, after a couple battery pulls and a little fiddling around, it appears to be charging with the AC charger. At least, the charging light is on.

However, it won't turn on (isn't it supposed to turn on by itself when charging?) and further, it won't turn on when I hold the power button nor the x+power button.

I'm just going to leave it "charging" (again, hoping it really is), have some dinner and watch the end of the Bulls/Cavs game. I hope when I come back the phone will be on. ps. GO BULLS!
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

Did you try booting into safe mode? If not, turn off the Droid. Hold the menu key on the physical keyboard at the same time as the power button when turning it back on. Keep both pressed at the same time until the Droid boots into safe mode.
  6. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

Hmm, came up to check on it real quick and it appears the charging light went off. Now when I plug it in, it is doing what it did before, that is, stay stuck on the M logo and the charging light not on. Only thing that would get it off is a battery pull.

Plugged back into the laptop to get it to "charge;" charging light is on but phone is not.

Tried to boot to safe mode and it will not. Can still get to Clockwork recovery.
    Can still get to Bootloader but still says battery low and will not program.
  7. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

just a quick something prolly wont work but if you have a car charger go out and try it maybe your charger is broke and your phone really is dead well almost?
  8. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

probably wont work but worth a try unless you dont have a car charger
  9. pc747

I am thinking if you can get in to recovery you phone should be able to charge itself. May take longer then the wall charger though. But, as you know, we need your phone to have enough of a charge to load a new rom. but you can go ahead and put the UD9.0 zip file (rename it update.zip {just update for windows 7}) on the root of your sdard.
    You do that by clicking on mount sdcard then opening mass usb storage. Then you can put files on your sdcard from recovery.
  10. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

Don't have a car charger. Charger light still shows when plugging into computer(s), but won't turn on.

I can plug it into AC, where the phone will boot to Clockwork, but if I unplug the phone it almost immediately turns off.
  11. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

if you can get into clockwork recovery why not just install a old zip file of a old rom you used to have say 4056 i dunno or have you never saved any?
  12. pc747

Let it charge for atleast 30 mins then try putting the rom on the sdcard.
  13. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

I mentioned that when I tried to reinstall any nandroid backups or roms, it would hang during installation and not work. And, if it did, it would be able to boot to home, but then freeze, and then reboot to M logo.

I'm currently not able to mount my SD card or do anything in Clockwork because the phone doesn't turn on when I have it plugged into my laptop.

I'll let it charge for a half hour connected to my laptop. The charging light is on, but it will not turn on.

Thanks for the replies, btw. I appreciate it.
  14. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

You don't need your Droid to mount the SD card. Take the card out of the Droid and put it in an SD adapter. Your laptop should have a slot where the adapter with the SD card inside of it will fit. From there, you can access the SD card and place any file you want on it.

Also, is your laptop set up with the Android SDK and ADB shell? If so, you don't need to fully boot the Droid in order to access its OS. You can access the OS from the Motorola symbol via the ADB shell.

If you're not familiar with ADB or the commands, here's a link to a tutorial that explains it and shows you how to set it up on your PC: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/10924-how-adb-windows-made-easy.html.

I'm curious about your situation. Please let me know if the above works. If you have any questions, PM me and I can help you further. I've yet to hear about a Droid that was truly "bricked."
  15. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

Sorry, dozed off last night. But I left the Droid to "charge" overnight through the laptop. Still wont turn on this morning.

I don't have a micro-SD >>SD card adapter. My laptop is set up with the SDK and ADB shell.

It appears my battery is unable to hold a charge right now. Or is charging poorly. I still get the "battery low" bootloader warning when I attempt to connect it to my Windows 'top.

I've got to run to work but will be back in about 8-9 hours. I'll leave it "charging" again, but I don't know if this will work.

Thanks again for the replies! I hope this can get fixed.
  16. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator

Use the wall charger. Charging through your laptop isn't going to get it. There is not enough power going through the usb port to charge it if the battery is dead. It will use more than it takes in. If you kill the battery use the wall charger.
  17. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

Posting from work. :icon_ banana: (Since I don't have my phone to browse the forums!)

It won't charge through the wall charger. As mentioned earlier, when plugged into the wall charger, the phone will turn on but be stuck at the M logo screen, and the battery charging light does not turn on. I left it in the wall charger all day yesterday when I went to work and when I came back it was still on the M logo but immediately turned off when I unplugged it.

When I plug it into the USB port of my laptop, it does not turn on but the charging light is on.

edit: It appears this guy has the same problem I am currently facing: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...estions/36565-droid-will-not-boot-charge.html

edit2: Same exact problem this guy has: http://android###forums.com/all-thi...id-bricked-after-rom-install-please-help.html (remove the ###)

googling "Droid will not charge" "droid will not charge or boot" "droid will not charge wall" shows many posts from people in a similar situation. Sadly, I haven't seen a solution yet besides getting a new phone.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  18. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator

could be your battery is fried.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  19. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

Picked up a battery on the way back home from work. It boots. Flashing the .sbf to just cut out any doubt. Hopefully my next post will be a celebratory one.
  20. droiduser5

droiduser5 New Member

.sbf flash was sucessful, but upon rebooting it is stuck at the M logo.
Search tags for this page

droid 2 only works when plugged in

droid 4 only works when plugged in
droid incredible phone only works when plugged in
e: can't mount/dev/block/mmcb1k0p1
i9003 e can't mount /dev/block/mmcb1k0p1
motorola droid pro only works if plugged in