Phone calls and an unresponsive screen?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Recently, probably a couple weeks now, Everytime I make or receive a call the screen goes black as if I was holding it up to my ear.

This is a problem because the screen remains unresponsive and I have to either press the power button multiple times or scan my finger print multiple times for it to come back on. One works one time and the other one works another time. If I need to use the dial pad I have to randomly try to unlock the phone using either of the methods mentions above.

Has anyone else seen this? Pixel XL, Verizon, bootloader unlocked but not rooted or Rom'd.

Edit: I have deleted cache and data for the phone app which seems to help for a very short period of time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Recently, probably a couple weeks now, Everytime I make or receive a call the screen goes black as if I was holding it up to my ear.

This is a problem because the screen remains unresponsive and I have to either press the power button multiple times or scan my finger print multiple times for it to come back on. One works one time and the other one works another time. If I need to use the dial pad I have to randomly try to unlock the phone using either of the methods mentions above.

Has anyone else seen this? Pixel XL, Verizon, bootloader unlocked but not rooted or Rom'd.

Edit: I have deleted cache and data for the phone app which seems to help for a very short period of time.

This is a software issue with nougat.

I had the same issue with my nexus 6P that was happening enough for me to start digging into it. Now the latest update has fixed the issue so far to where I almost hardly experience it anymore.

But yeah I would be doing something on my phone and then it would go black. If music was playing or I'm on the phone you could still hear and they could still hear you but the only way out of the screen of death for me was to hold down the power button until the phone rebooted.

Post lollipop Google devices have been having some crazy bugs. What makes it bad is that both marshmallow and nougat are suppose to be more about the under the hood stuff vs flashy new software tweaks. I'm guessing the cans of raid have not been working. Maybe it may be time to tear the whole thing down and start new again because the foundation may be the culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This is a software issue with nougat.

I had the same issue with my nexus 6P that was happening enough for me to start digging into it. Now the latest update has fixed the issue so far to where I almost hardly experience it anymore.

But yeah I would be doing something on my phone and then it would go black. If music was playing or I'm on the phone you could still hear and they could still hear you but the only way out of the screen of death for me was to hold down the power button until the phone rebooted.

Post lollipop Google devices have been having some crazy bugs. What makes it bad is that both marshmallow and nougat are suppose to be more about the under the hood stuff vs flashy new software tweaks. I'm guessing the cans of raid have not been working. Maybe it may be time to tear the whole thing down and start new again because the foundation may be the culprit.

I understand bugs but you'd think something as basic as a phone call on.... A PHONE would take top priority. I love this phone but this issue makes it a pain in the butt to use.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I understand bugs but you'd think something as basic as a phone call on.... A PHONE would take top priority. I love this phone but this issue makes it a pain in the butt to use.

You had it happen again?

When I had my issue it was maybe once every other week, which in itself was annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It's literally every phone call I make or receive. To the point where if someone is calling the phone will ring but I can't see or answer half the time. If I call out it's fine until the call begins and boom, black screen.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's literally every phone call I make or receive.

You may have a hardware problem because mine nor anyone else who had this issue had it that bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It never happened before a few weeks ago. Had the phone for months.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It never happened before a few weeks ago. Had the phone for months.

I seriously have not heard of anyone else that had a problem like that.

I would call up Google and go through the warranty replacement process.

If this was an issue that was plaguing phones you would have had several other members here posting threads about it. @Preach2k and @Jonny Kansas have them and they have not posted about them experiencing freezing like that. So if after a factory wipe if it is still that bad then yeah time for another one.

OP
GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It's was the screen protector... The same one I've had on since I got the phone... Something must have shifted or gotten dirty.. did some googling to see if others had has this problem... Removed the screen protector and made a few calls and checked my sensor.... Working now. That was a scare and a shame since now my screen is naked....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's was the screen protector... The same one I've had on since I got the phone... Something must have shifted or gotten dirty.. did some googling to see if others had has this problem... Removed the screen protector and made a few calls and checked my sensor.... Working now. That was a scare and a shame since now my screen is naked....

Glad you got it fixed.

Yeah I thought it was weird for you to have freezing that bad.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
No issue like that. I have found one issue that is not that big to me. When recording videos the pause button does not work. That is it.