PDAnet Put a Virus on My Laptop!

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY!... I was like "this could be a sweet app." It worked Great.. then I turn my laptop off for the night and I turned it back on today and PooF! ****ing addware from HELL!

Has anyone else had the same problem?

P.S. I am very very careful with my laptop... I only DL it because it had 250K DL's and 4.5 stars. ARGH!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
There are so many ways to get stuff like this. It may have been dormant on your machine for weeks, months, or even years before you triggered it with a single action.

Chances are you got it elsewhere.

Varking

Reaction score
I have been using it since I got my Droid in November and never experienced anything like this.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I run it on three computers have never had this problem.

Like the first response it can come from anywhere. It could have come bundled with something you did download or it downloaded from a bad banner ad. I doubt pdanet did it.

OP
The Droid Lion
Reaction score
I might try and reinstall it... I really like the program. But I am VERY VERY scrutinous with Virus control on my Laptop. IDK how I got it.

Also I'm a bit paranoid to start with...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Well either way it's not PDA net, thousands of people use it, many right here on this forum. I'm making this post VIA PDA.

The content that runs through it, however, is up to you.

yojoe600

Reaction score
i never get viruses on mt computer and i dont even have a antivirus software.... and yes i use it to without a problem

jocko1960

Reaction score
Reinstalling it isn't going to get rid of the adware on your laptop. Like was stated above, its doubtful that was installed with pdanet. It came either from a website you've or someone has visited (banner ads or whatever and that can happen on any website not just the nefarious type) or it was installed with some software you may have added recently.

TheMayor

Reaction score
I downloaded a version from 4shared. I had a brand new fresh install of windows on my computer, pda net was the only thing I installed and the next day boom, computer was unusable. I know it was pdanet but it was the file I downloaded from 4shared, it was infected.

jocko1960

Reaction score
That could be a possibility Mayor. Got my version directly from the market.

kmo

Reaction score
I also am using this app with no issues, but I'm using a Macbook so not the same boat as a PC user. (I am assuming you're using a PC.) I'm always a bit worried downloading things from internet sources that I don't know too. Hope you get things worked out...

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I downloaded a version from 4shared. I had a brand new fresh install of windows on my computer, pda net was the only thing I installed and the next day boom, computer was unusable. I know it was pdanet but it was the file I downloaded from 4shared, it was infected.

That's likely your source then, always download from the market whenever possible. Anyone can modify the software and post it on a storage site like 4shared.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

This is exactly the reason to download it from the source website. Why dl it from 4sharded...unless you downloaded a warez version that has the https limitation removed...