PdaNet/FoxFi and the Galaxy S4

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've never used FoxFi until tonight since I've always used the Wireless Tether for Root Users but since my S4 isn't rooted yet, I gave FoxFi a try.

Y0gH3t9.png

So FoxFi worked on my S4 with no hiccup.

Thanks for the heads up Wicked. Do you have to use the lockscreen or always confirm permission to use? That came in with the last update. Yes it's a pain, however, it's just a small inconvenience for someone not interested in rooting.

I plan on hitting the Verizon store tomorrow to pick one up. :icon_ lala:

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I am on Verizon and tried Foxfi this morning and it did open up the Verizon hotspot app when I turned it on. Did I do something wrong? I hope I don't get charged for those two seconds.

Hmm, I never got a pop up. Like I said it's my first time using FoxFi so not sure. Is it normal for the red hotspot icon to show up on the status bar? That's the Verizon hotspot app icon right?

Thanks for the heads up Wicked. Do you have to use the lockscreen or always confirm permission to use? That came in with the last update. Yes it's a pain, however, it's just a small inconvenience for someone not interested in rooting.

I plan on hitting the Verizon store tomorrow to pick one up. :icon_ lala:

Not sure about the lockscreen thing, I do have the latest FoxFi installed and it never asked me to do anything. I just fired it up and my N7 connected with no problems.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I never got a pop up. Like I said it's my first time using FoxFi so not sure. Is it normal for the red hotspot icon to show up on the status bar? That's the Verizon hotspot app icon right?

Not sure about the lockscreen thing, I do have the latest FoxFi installed and it never asked me to do anything. I just fired it up and my N7 connected with no problems.

I don't get the red VZW hotspot icon on my Razr Maxx. Just two different wireless notifications. One says "tethering or hotspot active" and the other says "FoxFi ready (WiFi)".
I wonder if it's accessing hotspot service through Verizon Hotspot. I'm sure that would be a charge from VZW.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I don't get the red VZW hotspot icon on my Razr Maxx. Just two different wireless notifications. One says "tethering or hotspot active" and the other says "FoxFi ready (WiFi)".
I wonder if it's accessing hotspot service through Verizon Hotspot. I'm sure that would be a charge from VZW.

Hmm, I will hold off on using it until I find out for sure then. lol

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
View attachment 63096

Here's the notifications I get with FoxFi active on my Maxx. No VZW notification.

The one on the left is the 'tethering or hotspot active' one from Verizon. Right below that it says 'touch to set up'. I've never set it up through Verizon and don't have any issues.

When I figure out how to post the pic on my Nexus 7, I'll put up a couple of shots.

jseah

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. It does the same on my Note 2. Basically FoxFi uses the native hotspot built into Android, which Verizon also uses, but it bypasses the provisioning check that Verizon does. So you can use it to your heart's content and won't be charged by Verizon. If it didn't bypass the provisioning check, then you would have gotten a pop up saying that you need to activate the hotspot through Verizon with the toll free number to call to add it to your service.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Don't worry about it. It does the same on my Note 2. Basically FoxFi uses the native hotspot built into Android, which Verizon also uses, but it bypasses the provisioning check that Verizon does. So you can use it to your heart's content and won't be charged by Verizon. If it didn't bypass the provisioning check, then you would have gotten a pop up saying that you need to activate the hotspot through Verizon with the toll free number to call to add it to your service.

Correct. :biggrin:

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
View attachment 63100

View attachment 63101

Got it. Damn, gotta love these devices. :happy3:

Top one shows the Verizon hotspot icon on the left. As mentioned, Foxfi uses it but bypasses the check with Verizon. Works extremely well, just looks different on different devices.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

Correct. :biggrin:

Cool, that's what I thought. But good to know for sure. Thanks guys!

-Foxfi noob ;)

DevonM

Reaction score
Oh wow that had me worried for a minute. Good thing there were posts clearing it up before I could get too mad... Haha :p

That's pretty awesome then. ^_^

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
A member at our sister site GalaxyS4Forums.net posted a non root tether app called 1-Click WiFi Tether No Root

Free version works good, unsecured and SSID naming is disabled but works well.

Pro version is $9.98 with secured network and SSID name changing.