Patent Office Goes Off the Deep-End; Awards Apple with Patent for Rounded Rectangle

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
godzilla-facepalm.jpeg

When you see news like this, it just makes you wonder if you are living in a whole different dimension than other people. Apparently, there is a dimension where logic and reason are replaced by idiocy and madness. The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) recently awarded a patent to Apple for literally a rounded rectangle. (Feel free to facepalm repeatedly now.)

D607286_patent_figure.png

The specifics of the patent relate to the iPad's "ornamental" design feature encapsulated in US Patent D670,286 for a "Portable display device." Here's a quote with some additional detail,

The '286 patent awarded on Tuesday appears to give Apple the exact patent the Samsung and Apple critics have erroneously claimed that the '889 patent was. The patent includes a number of drawings of the original iPad design, with most of its uniquely identifying features in dashed lines. As stated in the patent description, "broken lines in the Figures show portions of the portable display device which form no part of the claimed design."

The only unbroken line in all the figures is the outline of the flat, rounded rectangular front face of the device. All the other identifiable features, such as the speaker grille, round home button, display size, Dock connector, or even its curved back, are not covered by this design patent.

It's important to note that it is unlikely this patent will actually make much difference for Apple in the courtroom, because there are almost no competitors creating devices that are direct duplicates of Apple's design. Still, the fact that an actual thinking human being made this decision says sad things about the survival of our species...

Source: ArsTechnica

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its_all_about_money_by_capiogwapo.jpg

Looks like the patent office is for sale. :frown:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
What I wonder about if previous art. There were tablets before the iPad and they were rectangles with rounded corners.

Wow, the patent office must be corrupt or have some of the dumbest people on the planet.

WestOkid

Reaction score
I am so glad TVs were made before the patent wars. I couldn't imaging watching Sons Of Anarchy on a 55 inch circle in the basement.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You have to think Apple's lawyers have an internal competition to see who can get the most ridiculously stupid patent. They have their winner. Although if someone can patent a circle it might be a toss-up.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I wonder about if previous art. There were tablets before the iPad and they were rectangles with rounded corners.

Wow, the patent office must be corrupt or have some of the dumbest people on the planet.

What mind boggling to me...is how can they say bounce back is invalid...and turn right around and give Apple this? Do the ppl at the USPTO ever work together? Is everybody doing their own thing, then when some months go by ppl working on patents for the same company.... their paths finally cross and they have a pow wow?

Seems like a serious lack of working together at the USPTO...or a case of shooting first, asking questions later. Seems like they give the OK for many things....THEN go back and see if its valid or not. Thats bass ackwards if you ask me.

BaSHa

Reaction score
Starting to wonder if Apple hasn't kidnapped some relatives of patent office employees! Can you imagine if this kind of crap happened in other markets? Ford patenting a mode of transportation that rides on for wheels. GM patents a round steering wheel. Dodge patents keys that are inserted into ignition. Whirlpool patents washers and dryers that are boxed shaped.... It would be a nightmare.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This image shows just how innovative Apple is and they should protect these unique designs!!!!! Yes this is one of the designs Apple got a patent for....

Attachments

• Apple-patents-the-rounded-rectangle.jpg
    Apple-patents-the-rounded-rectangle.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 308

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does this patent say that the exact design of the iPad and such can't be copied, or anything vaguely similar?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
At first I thought it was a pretty funny joke.

Then I realized you were serious...

tumblr_lmhj8vtwml1qagxfe.gif

Best post response.... EVAAR!!! LMAOROFLLOL!!!!! Now my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Thank you. I needed that. :D