Google Finally Draws Its Sword; Files New Case Against Apple With Motorola Patents

jseah

Reaction score
This is what happens when you let greed rule capitalism. Capitalism is fantastic when people have a heart and people are looking to advance mankind.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

That's because greed is human nature. Very few people care more about advancing mankind than advancing their bank accounts.

Reaction score
For anyone saying an import ban on Apple's products is to steep keep in mind it is not Google's fault that Apple uses the same software across the board. Apple would do the same in a heartbeat if they could.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx Arctic .215

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't root for anyone on this.

The real problem is that patents like these should not be given out in the first place. Atari sued other companies for years in the 80s and 90s for simple things like "parallax scrolling" (two backgrounds scrolling horizontally at different speeds to give the illusion of 3d). Really, Atari? Everyone that creates scrolling graphics has to pay you or get your permission? Some things haven't changed.

Patents for software technology are given out too easily, and their interpretations can be subjective and vague enough that suddenly everyone is violating everyone's patents when they're just trying to build simple features into their devices.

I read all 32 posts and this one I agree with the most and seems to be the most unbiased. Yeah I dislike Apple. Yeah I love Android. I don't care for all the patent wars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I read all 32 posts and this one I agree with the most and seems to be the most unbiased. Yeah I dislike Apple. Yeah I love Android. I don't care for all the patent wars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

How does a patent get awarded for "A rectangular shaped device with rounded corners"?
It doesn't matter who got it, it's absurd.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Phreaker47 said:
How does a patent get awarded for "A rectangular shaped device with rounded corners"?
It doesn't matter who got it, it's absurd.

I was just thinking about that as I was finishing up reading the threads.

I remember reading an article back in the 90s. Back then Google was just a search engine that was just getting starting. The article was about the one company that scared Bill Gates. Of course it was Google. They have top tier engineers (the first ones came from Microsoft) and I am sure first rate lawyers. The combination is the ability to create the software then defend it as needed.

Apple better be careful. They were always the little guy who was taking on the giant corporation. If they lose that image, hackers may decide it is time to start looking at the software that "doesn't need virus protection" in a while new light.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple's OS has already been hit by malware attacks multiple times this year. The years of Mac safety are over due to its proliferation.

ambrown

Reaction score
This thread has made me feel a little better after today's news of Apple heavily winning the case against Samsung, and getting awarded over $1 billion in damages (seriously what the h*ll were those jurors smoking?). I'm so sick of Apple suing everyone who makes an Android phone. Apple is so filled with vanity already and all this will do is encourage them to burn the whole village down in a patent witch hunt that won't end until they've killed Android.

I want so badly for Google to wipe that stupid grin off Apple's face and get a ban on Apple products for once. Seriously, you can only go around slapping the entire smartphone market for so long until someone knocks you down and makes you cry. Google needs to do something fast or they'll fall victim to Steve Jobs' dying wish to destroy Android. I certainly don't want to be forced to buy a Windows Phone (yuck!), or end up with an iPhone (yikes!) 8-0 I love my phone powered by my green little friend.

I'm tired of these patent wars as well, but I have the feeling that it'll take Apple losing really big to bring it to an end. And that's, sadly, unlikely to happen in realistic terms.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

Beskidia

Reaction score
I wonder if Google even has a chance? Apple will buy the jury and the judge again. deep pockets go places as they say.

someone should teach apple a thing or two and the patent system as well. I mean, what kind of world will we have if every tech development was kept out of reach of each other through patents? We'll have severely broken products that have some good in them, with the rest of the features bad because they can't use that feature that was patented by someone. for the world to move on to new tech, it was necessary to learn from current tech and develop that into something better, or get an idea from that to make something else entirely.

ambrown

Reaction score
Beskidia said:
I wonder if Google even has a chance? Apple will buy the jury and the judge again. deep pockets go places as they say.

someone should teach apple a thing or two and the patent system as well. I mean, what kind of world will we have if every tech development was kept out of reach of each other through patents? We'll have severely broken products that have some good in them, with the rest of the features bad because they can't use that feature that was patented by someone. for the world to move on to new tech, it was necessary to learn from current tech and develop that into something better, or get an idea from that to make something else entirely.

Exactly. Patents are ruining tech. I believe in giving credit where it's due, and that inventors should get paid for their inventions. But these overly broad patents are killing the industry. And when you get an Apple that just won't stop and they keep opening new lawsuits it turns into a circus. Apple could license their patents and, you know, play nice, but apparently they'd rather monopolize and kill competition.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tim Cook's memo about how Apple was forced into doing this and that it's not about the money but about protecting their inventions and principles is ridiculous. Talk about a company high on its own smug.

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Tim Cook's memo about how Apple was forced into doing this and that it's not about the money but about protecting their inventions and principles is ridiculous. Talk about a company high on its own smug.

Yeah, I just hope Google makes them tapout.

Google sues Apple

jseah

Reaction score
For those hoping that Apple would finally get their comeuppance, you can keep hoping.

dgstorm's original post stated:
Additionally, Motorola previously secured another victory against Apple. In April, a trade judge ruled that Apple infringed one of four Motorola Mobility patents, over the way computers transmit signals through Wi-Fi. These findings are currently being reviewed and the final decision is expected on Aug. 24.

However, the news got lost in the Samsung/Apple case announcement, but the ITC reversed the trade judge's ruling and found that Apple did not infringe on two of Motorola's patents. However, they have also pushed the case back to the judge because they feel that Apple did in fact infringe on one patent (related to the proximity sensor) where the judge originally ruled that no infringement existed.

Apple Cleared of Infringing Two Google Patents by ITC - Bloomberg

Another article posted the same day suggests that Apple is counting on their products' popularity to prevent the ITC from issuing any import bans. It also suggests that several members of Congress may pressure the ITC from instituting such a ban on "neat" products should the ITC finds that it is warranted since it would be foolish to ban a hot selling product at a time when the country's economy needs people spending money, under the basis that the banning of products infringing on standard-essential patents would cause substantial harm to US competition, consumers and innovation. Congress believes that the ITC should force the parties to the table to negotiate and accept a fair and reasonable royalty agreement.

Apple Counts on IPhone Being Too Cool for U.S. Import Ban - Bloomberg

T
he article goes on to further state that the President can review and overturn any decision made by the ITC.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, very very interesting jseah. Thank you for sharing. So if the good ole US of A thinks apple is too cool for school then I would think that any Android phone would/should fall into the same consideration. What it seems that it could boil down to is not the legitimacy/integrity of a patent but the good ole almighty dollar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums