Apple Patents the Wedge Design

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
apple wedge.jpeg

The title of this article is not a misprint. The US patent office has given Apple claim of the ornamental design for an electronic device, as shown and described above. So every ultrabook, tablet, laptop and cellphone manufacturer now needs to tread very carefully because Apple didn´t specify anything more than what you see above. They didn't just specify a tablet or cellphone design either, so if you put any electronics in a wedge form, you will unleash Apple's Army of p̶a̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ lawyers.

Shocked? So are we. Apple is clearly taking advantage of a broken system. Patenting ornamental designs should be off limits, because it not only destroys innovation, it's simply ludicrous. Imagine if Ford was allowed to patent rear spoilers on automobiles and won? That is exactly what happened here. The examples can go on and on, but the fact remains that this patent has just killed innovation in the mobile and tablet space. We have the US Patent Office to thank for this one. Love or hate Apple, this latest win is a prime example of how cut throat they really are by actively taking advantage of a flawed system.

Do you think design patents should be outlawed all together, or is it in fact Apple's right to be able to patent an ornamental design?

Via: Google +

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Why am I not surprised? Apple will fall eventually, and like Goliath it will be a hard fall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well, more fuel for the "iSue everybody pro" .... due to release late this year..smdh

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

acousticshade

Reaction score
This is absolutely ridiculous. How 'wedgy' does the device have to be!? There are several existing phone models that are slimmer at one end than at the other. Isn't the Galaxy Nexus that way?

Perhaps some of our members who are lawyers or have legal experience could post some ideas on how to get congress to repair this broken system. I'm sure some calls/letters to the right senators wouldn't hurt. Would love to see congress sponsor a bill to fix this and quick! All it does is create confusion, lines lawyers pockets and hampers progress.

npro1464

Reaction score
Everyone always lames Apple, but why does no one ever blame the US patent office or the Courts for standing behind Apple? If I had to guess, the Judge's making these pro-Apple decisions (like Judge Koh) and the folks at the US patent office are behind the times and dont really get technology as much as we do here.

Ps- I guess Sony can expect a lawsuit for their patent infringing S Tablet

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yep, loose interpretation of the wedge can put the maxx and razr into that category..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

DrakeMK3

Reaction score
This is absolutely ludicrous. Technically, my Bionic has a bit of a wedge shape to it because of the bulge at the top. Asus G73 and higher laptops all have a wedge shape. A bunch of ultrabooks have wedge shapes. Where does it end?! I am more anti-apple than ever before after reading this garbage.

N4UPD

Reaction score
Looks like apple is giving everybody a wedgy. Pretty soon we'll need a patent app just to keep up with all of apple's patents.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
wonder what the doorstop manufacturers think of this... maybe one of them has a creative (and bored!) legal team :)

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Everyone is missing the point. Getting a patent on a product does not prevent anyone from using the design, it simply requires others to pay royalties if they want to use the design. Patents are designed to recognize and promote innovation. Why shouldn't Apple be able to patent a new, and potentially more innovative laptop/device design? I would also imagine that Ford (or some other company) did get a patent on the spoiler. When you invent something that others will want to use and innovate, you should be given credit (money) for your work.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone is missing the point. Getting a patent on a product does not prevent anyone from using the design, it simply requires others to pay royalties if they want to use the design. Patents are designed to recognize and promote innovation. Why shouldn't Apple be able to patent a new, and potentially more innovative laptop/device design? I would also imagine that Ford (or some other company) did get a patent on the spoiler. When you invent something that others will want to use and innovate, you should be given credit (money) for your work.

This is true - but I'm pretty sure Apple didn't invent the wedge design.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This patent can do nothing except stifle innovation. What's really appalling to me is that Apple has found a sneaky way to create a Monopoly. They don't go the traditional routes that would get the attention of the government. Instead, they patent every vague idea that they can possibly think might become something, then they use that to make it impossible for their competitors to create anything to compete. There must be someone level headed enough to see this, like Judge Posner.

I am flabbergasted!

Frederuco

Reaction score
Does this mean I cannot order a Wedge Salad and ranch dressing without getting Apples on it?

Apples + Ranch = DISGUSTING!

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
This is true - but I'm pretty sure Apple didn't invent the wedge design.

Agreed and this is what bugs me about Apple. They take credit for what has been done before, and everyone thinks they are at the peak of all innovation. However, they still can't be faulted for getting a patent if nobody else has, and those who previously used/created the design don't come forward to challenge Apple's patent.