Apple Patents the Wedge Design

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The title of this article is not a misprint. The US patent office has given Apple claim of the ornamental design for an electronic device, as shown and described above. So every ultrabook, tablet, laptop and cellphone manufacturer now needs to tread very carefully because Apple didn´t specify anything more than what you see above. They didn't just specify a tablet or cellphone design either, so if you put any electronics in a wedge form, you will unleash Apple's Army of p̶a̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ lawyers.

Shocked? So are we. Apple is clearly taking advantage of a broken system. Patenting ornamental designs should be off limits, because it not only destroys innovation, it's simply ludicrous. Imagine if Ford was allowed to patent rear spoilers on automobiles and won? That is exactly what happened here. The examples can go on and on, but the fact remains that this patent has just killed innovation in the mobile and tablet space. We have the US Patent Office to thank for this one. Love or hate Apple, this latest win is a prime example of how cut throat they really are by actively taking advantage of a flawed system.

Do you think design patents should be outlawed all together, or is it in fact Apple's right to be able to patent an ornamental design?

Via: Google +
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Why am I not surprised? Apple will fall eventually, and like Goliath it will be a hard fall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

I think I am going to vomit.

[​IMG]
  4. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Well, more fuel for the "iSue everybody pro" .... due to release late this year..smdh

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  5. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

This is absolutely ridiculous. How 'wedgy' does the device have to be!? There are several existing phone models that are slimmer at one end than at the other. Isn't the Galaxy Nexus that way?

Perhaps some of our members who are lawyers or have legal experience could post some ideas on how to get congress to repair this broken system. I'm sure some calls/letters to the right senators wouldn't hurt. Would love to see congress sponsor a bill to fix this and quick! All it does is create confusion, lines lawyers pockets and hampers progress.
  6. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Everyone always lames Apple, but why does no one ever blame the US patent office or the Courts for standing behind Apple? If I had to guess, the Judge's making these pro-Apple decisions (like Judge Koh) and the folks at the US patent office are behind the times and dont really get technology as much as we do here.

Ps- I guess Sony can expect a lawsuit for their patent infringing S Tablet
  7. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yep, loose interpretation of the wedge can put the maxx and razr into that category..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  8. DrakeMK3

DrakeMK3 Member

This is absolutely ludicrous. Technically, my Bionic has a bit of a wedge shape to it because of the bulge at the top. Asus G73 and higher laptops all have a wedge shape. A bunch of ultrabooks have wedge shapes. Where does it end?! I am more anti-apple than ever before after reading this garbage.
  9. N4UPD

N4UPD New Member

Looks like apple is giving everybody a wedgy. Pretty soon we'll need a patent app just to keep up with all of apple's patents.
  10. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

wonder what the doorstop manufacturers think of this... maybe one of them has a creative (and bored!) legal team :)
  11. Lars

Lars New Member

Everyone is missing the point. Getting a patent on a product does not prevent anyone from using the design, it simply requires others to pay royalties if they want to use the design. Patents are designed to recognize and promote innovation. Why shouldn't Apple be able to patent a new, and potentially more innovative laptop/device design? I would also imagine that Ford (or some other company) did get a patent on the spoiler. When you invent something that others will want to use and innovate, you should be given credit (money) for your work.
  12. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

This is true - but I'm pretty sure Apple didn't invent the wedge design.
  13. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

This patent can do nothing except stifle innovation. What's really appalling to me is that Apple has found a sneaky way to create a Monopoly. They don't go the traditional routes that would get the attention of the government. Instead, they patent every vague idea that they can possibly think might become something, then they use that to make it impossible for their competitors to create anything to compete. There must be someone level headed enough to see this, like Judge Posner.

I am flabbergasted!
  14. Frederuco

Frederuco New Member

Does this mean I cannot order a Wedge Salad and ranch dressing without getting Apples on it?

Apples + Ranch = DISGUSTING!
  15. Lars

Lars New Member

Agreed and this is what bugs me about Apple. They take credit for what has been done before, and everyone thinks they are at the peak of all innovation. However, they still can't be faulted for getting a patent if nobody else has, and those who previously used/created the design don't come forward to challenge Apple's patent.
  16. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i want to patent phone/tablet/tv ..etc screens that are in the rectangular fashion .:icon_ devil:
  17. CoFoltman84

CoFoltman84 New Member

Figures 3and4 look like flat devices, they don't appear bigger at either end...so its basically any electronic that is longer than it is thick/wide.:blink:
  18. Immolate

Immolate New Member

When a dog goes rabid, you put it down. It isn't that you can't put the dog in a cage and keep it from harming anyone, you can. But once its rabid, it can do only harm and no good, so you get rid of it for the good of all. The patent office needs a serious overhaul, but we should all endeavor to put Apple out of business by refusing them sales or recommendations. They need to feel the pain of their rotten decisions.
  19. Alastrionia

Alastrionia Sourcery Themer / Designr Theme Developer Premium Member

You're right in that if you have something innovative and new and are the 1st, then patent it and make some money off of it. Good business sense.

HOWEVER - Apple is not doing any of that. They are simply taking the most vague, grey area ideas and grabbing them up. This is not good business.
    This is cutthroat bullcrap as they have nothing innovative or new or spiffy to give us.

And the wedge design? seriously? that's been here for FAR longer than apple can even legitimately try to claim.

I hope someone somewhere can finally put an end to this madness
  20. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

Patents were designed to recognize and promote innovation, the problem here is that apple is using it the other way around. They do not necessarily have a new idea/design/innovation with the wedge, they simply are calling "dibs" on it so that when someone else has something even remotely similar looking they can pull out this patent and have the device banned. Most patents that apple have pulled out for examples of infringements are so broad and vague, like using a finger for input instead of a mouse. The biggest issue I have with the patent system as it stands, you can patent an idea with absolutely no means of ever actually producing this idea, you now "own" this idea. That does nothing to encourage innovation, it encourages hoarding of patents and waiting for others to follow through on your idea so you can sue them.

For the most part, Apple has not been using their patents to get these companies to pay up for a license, they are using them to stifle competition. Examples being the GNEX and Galaxy Tab. The Tab has been through the ringer with these patents all b/c it is a rectangle that somewhat looks like it could be an ipad.

Oh and just so everyone knows I'm calling dibs on the parallelogram...go ahead try and make something that looks like my parallelogram and I will unleash my stable of patent lawyers who litigate with the fury of a thousand Steve Jobs' :p
Search tags for this page

patent demotivational poster