Apple Files for Haptic Feedback Patent; Android World Cries Out a Collective, "Huh?"

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
iPHone-ipad-haptics.jpg

To paraphrase the old saying about a duck, "If it looks like a troll and walks like a troll, it must be Apple." We have a new report that Apple has just filed for a new patent on haptic feedback. This comes as a real shock since for the last several years, haptic feedback has been one of the primary differentiators of Android, Nokia and even RIM devices from the iPhone. Companies like Samsung, Nokia, RIM and HTC have provided this functionality for some time, but Apple always used marketing double-speak to denounce the feature as something beneath them. According to Apple, their virtual QWERTY keyboard has been the best on the market, and there was no need for haptic feedback. Apparently, they have had a complete turn-around of perspective...

Not only does their patent application include the necessary descriptions of piezoelectric actuators placed under the display, they also will be able to measure how hard your touch is, and even provide a description of the complete means by which their technology can be manufactured, as well as how to mass produce them. They are really covering their bases on this one. Now, it's important to note that we can't automatically assume that Apple is intending to use this patent against the competition. It is possible that this patent is different enough from other manufacturers' designs to potentially just be Apple protecting its own ideas, but it is a very thin line the tech is walking. And, based upon past history, it seems like a distinct possibility that they could use this as ammunition in the future.

Lastly, even if they don't use this new patent to go after the competition in the courts, the hypocrisy is almost comical. What do you want to bet that if they do include this feature on the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6, then at that time they will extoll the virtues of their wondrous new tech and claim that they brought it out first?

Source: UnWiredView

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
does this really surprise anyone ?? if you dont patent your stuff apple will :)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The first thing I do on my phones is turn off haptic feedback!

I only like it for the phone dialer. That way I can feel if I am pocket dialing (yes, even on touch screens, it is possible and annoying). But to me, its just a battery killer as there is no real need for it to me.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I only like it for the phone dialer. That way I can feel if I am pocket dialing (yes, even on touch screens, it is possible and annoying). But to me, its just a battery killer as there is no real need for it to me.

I like it for the dialer, screen interactions, and capacitive buttons. No keyboard!

Sent from my Eclipsed Droid Bionic

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
How can you patent something that already exists in the market and is offered by all of your competitors..? Maybe i'm just wrong with my assumption but is that even possible ?

Reaction score
It seems what apple is trying to patent is the method of haptic feedback. They want to use electrical fields to have the user actually feel the buttons and textures on screen (as opposed to the phone simply vibrating when the user touches the screen), and it is supposed to register pressure of the press as well, and respond accordingly. Which is actually pretty cool, if they pull it off. I'm not trying to defend apple (trust me, i hate them just as much as the next guy), but if we dont educate ourselves before pulling out our pitchforks, are we any better than the apple fanboys (well.. yeah)? http://www.appleinsider.com/article...es_actuators_senses_force_on_iphone_ipad.html

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Apple knows that Android has the potential to hurt their pockets over time if the less techy people jump onboard the Android bandwagon.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

Jeyman

Reaction score
It seems what apple is trying to patent is the method of haptic feedback. They want to use electrical fields to have the user actually feel the buttons and textures on screen (as opposed to the phone simply vibrating when the user touches the screen), and it is supposed to register pressure of the press as well, and respond accordingly. Which is actually pretty cool, if they pull it off. I'm not trying to defend apple (trust me, i hate them just as much as the next guy), but if we dont educate ourselves before pulling out our pitchforks, are we any better than the apple fanboys (well.. yeah)? Apple's haptic touch feedback concept uses actuators, senses force on iPhone, iPad

I could be wrong but that sounds very much like SONYs tech for their new phone? no? I no very little on it but dont they have a phone on the way(or released? ) that is reading how hard you click, and even goes as far as not having to touch the screen?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s-xperia-solas-floating-touch-technology.html

Reaction score
Sony is making it so you can hover your fingers over the screen before clicking to aid in selecting links. Its unrelated, but it is also pretty cool

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How naive can one be?? :blink: Of course they're going to sue their competitors if they receive this patent!

LOL. Well... I want to at least give them the benefit of the doubt... ;)