parents with kids who have android phones....

bronx finest

Reaction score
The choice on whether or not to "text while driving" should be held to the user themselves, if they're old enough to drive, they know right from wrong.

I'm not saying it's right, nor am I condoning it. But when you start "forcing" people to do things by the book, it takes away one's civil liberties. What's next? We can't stare at a girl walking down the street while driving? That's unsafe too.

Before they nail the "texting while driving" thing to the wall, they should force all cars to have a breathalyzer near the rear view mirror, so a driver has to pass it each time they start the car. Oh yeah, there's MANY ways to bypass that too...

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Allowing this kind of forced control is certainly a gateway to other forced controlled actions. If a parent wants it for their kid, that's their choice, however there are many more accidents caused by people messing around in their car besides just with a cell phone, so it's kind of annoying hearing everyone go crazy on this topic while ignoring those donut eaters, coffee drinkers, chronic smokers, moms yelling at kids, people changing radio stations, etc.

Regardless of all of that, as I understand it, the gps would have to be on constantly as it can't read mph without having a constant signal. This would DESTROY battery life having gps on.
The bandwidth on the site probably isn't large enough to discuss everything that people do to distract them from driving safely. But, since the site is centralized around a phone them... ;)

If they are old enough to Drive would you still consider them Kids?!?!?
Yes. Even California won't let a 16 year old with their license drive by themselves. Start the habits early and hopefully they'll continue.

OP
irishdroid

irishdroid

Reaction score
Couldn't the kid just disable GPS?

Not sure if it is GPS or acceleromitter (SP?) controlled. I will ask the dev that question as well.

Accelerometer doesn't detect mph, ironically.

Just for my info...Even if you turn your GPS off in settings or in the power manager and you have a location based app such as weather for example. Does your gps not turn on at the apps request to refresh the data?

Think I just answered my own question, if you try to pull up navigator with GPS turned off it wont work until you activate it. I guess that has to be written into the app to activate it on its own. Like Mobile Defense, I think even if the GPS is off on the settings that app can activate it anyhow.

I have more questions than answers at this point. For 40.00 that app should be able to make my Droid grow legs and kick my daughters boyfriend in the sack if it senses he is doing something I wouldnt like. :icon_ devil:

jwh245

Reaction score
How about being responsible parents and not buying a KID a cell phone. A child has no reason to have a cellphone

JCo352

Reaction score
How about being responsible parents and not buying a KID a cell phone. A child has no reason to have a cellphone

A child that is 16 has no reason to have a cellphone?

OP
irishdroid

irishdroid

Reaction score
Okay, I got some more info on questions that have come up about the app.

Q: What if your riding with a friend or on a bus, etc, etc.?

A: The phone can be unlocked by sending a Permission Request to the parent/admin, if the request is granted the app is inactive for four hours.

Q: Can the system be defeated by deactivating the GPS?

A: NO, if the user attempts to deactivate the GPS the program is enabled along with GPS.

Q: Can the program just be uninstalled to defeat it?

A: Yes, it can. However, if I spent 40 bucks on an app and my kid removed it they would not have a phone for very long.

Man, I never thought by starting this thread I would get so much response.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Hey isn't CA a hands free only cell phone while driving state?

Yup.
My question is why bother with this app? Just dont get a text plan and block all in and out text. If you as a parent have to go to this length might as well be over the top and get allow texting at all. Beside there are A LOT of things that distract drivers. i see people with animals on their lap, cops on laptops, eating, talking to their passenger, rubber necking an accident, rubber necking some hot chick/s walking or driving in the other cars...etc..should we outlaw all of that to?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
*Chuckle* Kids in your part must be pretty stupid if not having a text plan stops them from texting on an Android phone.

iPirate

Reaction score
Q: Can the program just be uninstalled to defeat it?

A: Yes, it can. However, if I spent 40 bucks on an app and my kid removed it they would not have a phone for very long.
so many things to say about this.

There is a lot better way to prevent someone from texting while driving. And I hope someone releases a free app

jdritzer

Reaction score
I'd be real ticked off if I was a child and it was turned on when I was a passenger for a long trip.