parents with kids who have android phones....

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are bothered by the price, but on the other side of the coin, my daughter's life is worth WAYYYY more than $40. If an app like this can help increase the chances of her life being saved while driving, then it is worth it to me. Jeez, it's a 1 time charge for this app. A little high to some, maybe, but not for me when it comes to my daughter.

And obviously, I wouldn't depend on this to take care of the problem, but to go hand in hand with good parenting.

lemodular

Reaction score
Couldn't the kid just disable GPS?

Not sure if it is GPS or acceleromitter (SP?) controlled. I will ask the dev that question as well.

Accelerometer doesn't detect mph, ironically.

Acceleration does not equal Velocity. I think it's fine that the dev. wants to charge $40 for the app, you don't have to buy it. Since there are no competition to the app currently, I expect him/them to do well. I question, however, it's effectiveness with all the loopholes in the system. I also agree with most that says distractions are the underlying causes to accidents; texting is just one of them. The most important thing to teach (as I do with my child)) is pay attention to the road, the vehicle and ALL that are going around you (inside and outside of the vehicle).

zakany

Reaction score
I see an opportunity to sell an app for $20.

In fact, you could write one that not only prevents texting and email while in motion, but also logs the maximum speed and sends an SMS to a parent's phone when the speed exceeds a threshold.

Last edited:

OpalCat

Reaction score
How about being responsible parents and not buying a KID a cell phone. A child has no reason to have a cellphone
WHAT?? I feel a TON safer with my son having a cell phone. I can call him any time and find out exactly where he is, for one thing. How do you contact YOUR kid when they've gone to a friend's house and then are playing outside somewhere where there is no phone?

My son goes out riding his bike. He takes it on the bike path around the reservoir (no cars). Let's say he falls and hurts himself. Which is better, for him to lay there until someone with a phone happens to come along? Or for him to be able to call me (or call 911) and get help?

My god there are just so many reasons why "A child has no reason to have a cellphone" is among the stupider things I've read on here.

silvere2

Reaction score
How about being responsible parents and not buying a KID a cell phone. A child has no reason to have a cellphone
WHAT?? I feel a TON safer with my son having a cell phone. I can call him any time and find out exactly where he is, for one thing. How do you contact YOUR kid when they've gone to a friend's house and then are playing outside somewhere where there is no phone?

My son goes out riding his bike. He takes it on the bike path around the reservoir (no cars). Let's say he falls and hurts himself. Which is better, for him to lay there until someone with a phone happens to come along? Or for him to be able to call me (or call 911) and get help?

My god there are just so many reasons why "A child has no reason to have a cellphone" is among the stupider things I've read on here.

Finally, an intelligent parent.

wil318466

Reaction score
The best thing to do, and what I plan to do (if I ever have kids), is to sit them down, tell them that it it terrible. Just enlighten them about how dangerous it is.

The problem, I think, is that they just won't listen. I've noticed as I've gotten older I stop and think much more about things than when I was younger. Of course, now we know there are physical reasons for it, but the bottom line is kids will just say "yes" and then do the opposite.

I know I did.

-Wil

catherinebell

Reaction score
I agree people should text while drive. What happens when you are riding though...Partents beating the hell out of their kids for texting while driving would be cheaper.

Huntsville Single Mom

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I am amazed at the lack of parental ability in this thread.... Points about captialism/greed whatever aside.... if you have to pay $40 for an app to parent for you, you PHAIL.

I have a 13 y.o. daughter, doesn't drive yet, but if I say "no texting while driving" and she texts while she drives anyways.... she won't drive, or won't have a phone... I don't have to pay someone $40 to parent for me...

but long live capitalism because this guy found a demand for a nanny app and I can't fault them for it... it's not his fault you can't parent, but that shouldn't stop him from cashing it on it...

My favorite quote of this thread was the "my daughter's life is more important...." implying that he justified spending $40 because he's protecting his daughter... How about you establish guidelines to phone use and enforce them, and remember that you are in charge, not your teenaged daughter....

I pay the phone bill.... my rules. don't like it, purchase your own phone

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I have a 13 y.o. daughter, doesn't drive yet, but if I say "no texting while driving" and she texts while she drives anyways.... she won't drive, or won't have a phone... I don't have to pay someone $40 to parent for me...

How would you know she's not texting while driving ? I had very strict parents , and they thought of me to be a very good and obedient child but without them even knowing , when I was in high-school and college I did all the drugs known to humankind from marijuana to heroin and some heavy home made drugs , I was getting pissed drunk at the age of 16 , lost my virginity at 15 , I even got arrested a couple of times without them even knowing . I wasn't living in US at the time so the police wouldn't report to the parents if I was underage , still the kids can hide some things very well from you , even if you are a strict parent .

dwagner88

Reaction score
I'm all for this app. I just about got T-boned last week by some teenage girl who blew through a stop sign at 40 mph while texting on her iPhone. Closest I've ever come to being in a wreck(*knocks wood*), and it could have been a very bad one.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Texting and driving is a big issue, but making an app and profiting off it is a horrid idea. The best thing to do, and what I plan to do (if I ever have kids), is to sit them down, tell them that it it terrible. Just enlighten them about how dangerous it is.

Just what I did, They even use the phone while driving and they lose the car for a week the first time, a month the second and then I sell it.

Never got past the first week with my oldest.....the others won't even think of using the phone in the car.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Texting and driving is a big issue, but making an app and profiting off it is a horrid idea. The best thing to do, and what I plan to do (if I ever have kids), is to sit them down, tell them that it it terrible. Just enlighten them about how dangerous it is.

Just what I did, They even use the phone while driving and they lose the car for a week the first time, a month the second and then I sell it.

Never got past the first week with my oldest.....the others won't even think of using the phone in the car.

Thats a good idea... i think i will use this method.. thanks BNB

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Thats a good idea... i think i will use this method.. thanks BNB

And I would sell the cars they drive in a heartbeat.....My House, My Rules. Always worked for Me :D

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
N

How would you know she's not texting while driving ? I had very strict parents , and they thought of me to be a very good and obedient child but without them even knowing , when I was in high-school and college I did all the drugs known to humankind from marijuana to heroin and some heavy home made drugs , I was getting pissed drunk at the age of 16 , lost my virginity at 15 , I even got arrested a couple of times without them even knowing . I wasn't living in US at the time so the police wouldn't report to the parents if I was underage , still the kids can hide some things very well from you , even if you are a strict parent .
its a choice she'll make... but if she chooses wrong and is caught, I don't go out and try to find a nanny app to do the job I can't...I actively get out there and parent my kid...
Kids don't have to drive a car u provide them... or text on a phone on my family plan...this is about setting boundaries and more importantly, enforcing them. Strict parents /= reults... following through when kids mess up = results