Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by lowtech, Nov 8, 2009.

1. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That would have been fatal! :)

2. redwood

redwood Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Heh heh - funny I too started many moons ago with Palm V, then Kyocera 6035, 7135, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, and a brief dance with the dark side of WinMo - Samsung Omnia (with Spb Mobile Shell it wasn't too bad).

But I must say even though I have issues with the Droid it is the best smartphone I've owned hands down, and one of the best I've tried.

Looking forward to Dec 11th update....

#38 redwood, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "But I must say even though I have issues with the Droid it is the best smartphone I've owned hands down, and one of the best I've tried. Agreed - in my case the Eris!

Looking forward to Dec 11th update.... " Amen!

4. srothkin

srothkin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still have my 7135 in the closet (it was a backup for in case something ever happened to the Treo 650 that the Droid just replaced). Before the 7135 I had a Handspring Visor.

5. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Visor was my first Palm phone. I came from the HP 100 & 200 LX handhelds - not phones, but fabulous. The Handspring combined a pda with a phone... a revelation!

Between us all we could start a museum! :)

6. slorandy

slorandy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally took the leap. My 2 1/2 year old Treo 755 was going into a reset loop everytime a text message arrived so I figured it was time! Nervous as heck, but thankfully I found hope from others on this thread the survived the move, I went to VZW last night and got the DROID. Said goodbye to Sprint and my SERO plan. With only a little time with the phone I'm already loving it. A few things I can't help and laugh about...one is getting apps on the phone. Rather than all the effort of the download and sync with the treo I just click on an app in the Marketplace and it's there in seconds! I was just telling my friend how cool the Compass program was on my Treo where I just had to choose my city, then line up the sun with the sun on the display and I knew which way was North...and then I see the compass programs for the DROID. Wow, a lot has changed.

Good luck everyone and thanks for giving me the confidence to change.

Treo 600>Kyocera 7135>Treo 650>Treo 755

7. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is why I started this thread... really kind of scary, making that change after years with Palms! I have gotten so much support and great information here... the transition has been much less traumatic than I feard.

We'll all be cheering for you!

:welcome:

8. Milehighjc

Milehighjc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Im now five days into the Droid. Im never going back - amazing how clunky the 755P seems now in comparison, and a short 2 years ago I thought it was the slickest tool I had ever had. The Market is unbelievable, Ive found so many cool apps that would have been unthinkable on the 755. For example :

I always wanted a GPS rangefinder/scorekeeper for golf. I found a palm implementation of StarCaddy. I dont remember what the exact price was but I seem to remember it was in the $40-60 range. The idea was that you would tether the palm, download the course you wanted to play and away you would go. Unfortunately, the VZW 755 didnt include GPS, so I fought with a GPS brick for about 2 weeks before throwing in the towel, and letting the trial SW expire.

Today I bought GolfCard. $8.99, uses the Droid GPS and the satellite view from Google maps. 2 mins after purchasing, I had downloaded over the air ALL of my local course data, and could see that I was 3785 meters from the #1 green on a nearby course!

Easy. Inexpensive. Photographic vs Cartoon. Spectacular UI. Works immediately. Now, if I could only hit a 3785 meter drive! (have to find out how to change that to yards, I still cant play metric golf). :)

I picked the palm platform years ago because of the great app collection, and how easy to use it was. Droid has "out palmed" Palm.

jc

9. leturn

leturn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You'll love droid. go to settings, touch language & keyboard, it will bring up a list with user dictionary. At this point you can add words. Not textplus which would give you the option to add new words on the fly, but worth trying. Good people on this forum. Reminds of the Palmnet forums in the 70'22 and 80's

10. slorandy

slorandy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I can tell this will be fun with the new speed of this phone and beautiful display. Any suggestions about where to look for getting my calendar from Datebk into something on the Droid?

11. cinque

cinque New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using the droid for 2+ weeks and I have to say I have been trying to find execuses to return it but so far I have nothing… very happy about this purchase! But I wanted to list out a few things that I miss and fellow palm users will get a laugh, here we go:

Things I miss about my palm 755/650
    1. The ability to group contacts
    2. The ability to easily group applications
    3. The way palm os allowed for contact search e.g. I rcan search john smith by clicking js or sj or jos or which every way you want on the keyboard
    4. Full phone backup on PC
    5. Putting a bday in a contact and having it automatically added to your calendar with a 7 days reminder
    6. Simple UI with basically no menus
    7. Raise buttons for the qwerty

12. Milehighjc

Milehighjc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^ These... Oh well, Im sure I will get over it :icon_ devil:

jc

Search tags for this page

datebk replacement

droid exchange calendar sync pocketmirror
how to export pimlical data