1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by lowtech, Nov 8, 2009.

1. lowtech

lowtech New Member

I used Palm smartphones for years, acutally starting with Handspring, whcih was bought by Palm. My most recent one was a Treo 755P. I knew I would have some adjustments to make when moving to the Droid, with a new and different OS and unfamiliar apps.

I have been happily surprised at the ease with which I have been able to make the switch... certainly more a credit to Android and the Droid than to me! I had become acustomed to my cranky Treo resetting, hiccupping and lagging; the difference is amazing! The Droid actually seems to enjoy its job - a very nice change!

There are a couple of apps I really miss: Dakebk, SplashID, some card games... but overall I really like the installed apps and Oh My! That Market... with all those free goodies!

Before switching I synched everything to Google (contacts, calendar, docs), so the move to the Droid was so clean and simple... no evil USB synching with Outlook!

The learning curve has been much less - and the enjoyment has been much greater - than I expected.

How is your transition from Palm going?
  2. ebean

ebean New Member

here i am. a die-hard palm owner switching tomorrow to droid. i just posted re wanting to be a standalone so i will have the syncing (i don't mind).
    i am hoping someone makes an intuitive text replacement program like i had called 'text plus' which lets you add your own words and phrases to choose as you type. it was invaluable to me.
  3. lowtech

lowtech New Member

There is a feature that let's you add your own words to the dictionary on the Droid, and it will offer suggestions as you type. I have used it, but I don't really know how to tell you to access it! :) I believe you can find it by searching the forums... it works well!

I hope your switch is as pleasant as mine - report back tomorrow!

4. Rewlaz

Rewlaz New Member

Oh my...good to hear from other Palm users. I will be getting the Droid soon and I hope all goes well. Now if I can get Verizon to let me get my new phone a month early.:icon_ banana:
  5. lowtech

lowtech New Member

Here is what I did: my New Every 2 was a couple of weeks away. Acting on a tip in a forum, I called Customer Service at Verizon and said, I am a long-time customer (true!) and I want that new phone of yours, but I need to apply every discount and rebate I can get. Can you please arrange it? The rep put me on hold for a few minutes to speak with a supervisor. When she came back, it was done! They really want to move those Droids I'm sure, so there was no argument and no hesitation. And, most surprising of all, the rep in the Verizon store was able to save me $10 a month on my new plan! :biggrin:

The tip on the forum was very specific about calling Verizon a day or so before going to get the phone, as the folks in the stores cannot make those adjustments.

Good luck!

6. ndoren

ndoren New Member

I, too, am switching from a Palm 755p to Droid. Mine's coming in the mail.

How did you sync your Palm 755p to Google? I've never done this, but have a Google account now. I've only ever synced to the palm desktop. Any help would be appreciated. Neall
  7. lowtech

lowtech New Member

Somewhere in Google there is a download for the Google Sync app. You install that and tell it to sync your Outlook calendar. Note: I found out that syncing ONE WAY - to Google only, and only once! - avoids a flood of duplicates. Once it syncs, just update it in Google manually until you get your Droid, which will sync to/from Google when you update either calendar.

For contacts, there is a place in Gmail that tells how to sync contacts from Outlook. The same applies: ONE WAY... to Google.

I used Outlook 2003 but there may be instructions for syncing with the Palm Desktop software. Your best bet is forums - search in Google for syncing - lots of help online!
  8. srothkin

srothkin New Member

I came from a Treo 650 (Palm OS). I too miss DateBk -- especially the floating events and the alarms that periodically repeat until I acknowledge them. I'm using Astrid as a task list replacement -- it's pretty decent, but not all of the info syncs to Remember the Milk and there doesn't seem to be any way to sync it to Outlook.
  9. lowtech

lowtech New Member

Thanks for the tip - I'll try Astrid (I love the one comment in the Market: "I hate this app. It makes me do stuff!") Datebk certainly spoiled me - I miss it every day. But I am enjoying the Eris otherwise!
  10. cinque

cinque New Member

previous palm die hard

So I got the moto droid from the 755p and before that I had the 650p and so far it has been a great transition. The android platform is solid and the enhancements made by moto are great but I still miss the simplicity that only palm can offer. I have had the droid for 2weeks and I cannot put this phone down!!!! If I could get a pre on verizon I might have opted for that but they are behind the 8 ball by going to sprint and that is going to hurt them. I hate to say it but I am an android fan!!!! Palm might find there way back into my life but def not in the next 2 years!!!!

-former palm loyalist

:greendroid:
  11. lowtech

lowtech New Member

I could have written every word of that... even the same Palms. I tried the Droid though, and didn't like the size, the shape, the weight... the Eris suits me perfectly. Looking forward to the update to 2.0 (Eris runs 1.5) and all the new apps coming along!
  12. bernilynn

bernilynn New Member

I agree. I've had every Palm since the Pilot- but couldn't stand my husband waving his iPhone in my face. This trumps his, as seen at dinner- we navigated to the restaurant using my Droid, and then read the menu with the led flashlight app (SO much better than his flashlight)!

I'm just waiting for Datebk to come out with an Android version, which should be fairly soon- the Google calendar is terrible. I'm also going to use the new version of Missing Sync for Android to connect Datebk with my iCalendar. Then I'll be a happy camper.
  13. gprichardson1

gprichardson1 New Member

Splashdata actually has SplashID for the Droid:

Android Password Manager - SplashID

I use it on my PalmPilot but have yet to venture into moving it over to my Droid. I hope to get to that soon. I've heard that if you're an existing customer and you contact them they may give you a free upgrade to the SplashID desktop for Droid but you'll have to pay for the app, which is $9.95 in the Market.

-Gary

-Gary
  14. jrocketdroid

jrocketdroid New Member

wow so many former Palm peeps...glad to see I'm not alone...Droid has been awesome!
  15. knightshade

knightshade New Member

I had long been a user of a Palm 3c (yeah, ancient I know...)
    I'd stepped away from it for the past few years, and had been taking a laptop everywhere...

I'm hoping that the Droid will give me the freedom needed to go back to a palmtop... only with much more power.

I should have my droid on Tuesday!
  16. The Rigger

The Rigger Guest

Far from it... I came here from a Treo 700p, on my New Every 2 plan (the Droid only cost me $99 that way. Yay!)...

Oddly enough, the one thing I think I miss the most, aside from an Android version of FileMaker Mobile, is a Droid equivalant to the Palm's Memos app. Any ideas?
  17. Milehighjc

Milehighjc New Member

Count me in as another convert. I started with a Treo 600 way back when (actually, had palm pilot, and a workpad too). Had a 650, then 2 years ago got a 755P which was a solid tool... I loved it... for about 1.5 years. It had started having problems - lots of random resets, the calendar was hosed up, and it was generally slow. It had a maddening habit of freezing when calls came in - would get the call screen, but it was unresponsive to the "answer' button. The only way out was pulling the battery, which means I lost the call from the call log too.

But given that I was VERY used to the palm user interface, I was a little reluctant. Two hours after bringing the droid home, I knew it wasnt going back.

From a hard core palm user point of view :
    - Screen is spectacular. Only word I can think of.
    - Very intuitive, highly integrated user experience - better than Treo. Much.
    - Fast
    - Much better sound quality (handset, speakerphone, audio) than Treo
    - FAR better camera (w/flash) and video
    - I was a big google maps user, but Google NAV is WAY cool

There were a few functional things that I HAD to replace :

Syncing of my work calendar/contacts - found a package called Companionlink that seems to be working quite well.

Tethering my PC to the phone as a high speed modem - while I havent installed it yet, I see that PDANet is available for Droid (that is what I used on Palm, so Im comfortable with it)

I had an awesome app called TryDA Phone number (yellow and white), reverse look up, integration with google maps). While I havent found a direct replacement, the Google integration on Droid may be sufficient if I can find a reverse look up app.

I used a mobile version of FlightStats on the Treo, there is actually a Droid app for it that is even better.

I used the espn mobile web page from Treo to follow sports, it looks/behaves MUCH better on Droid.

I was seriously considering both iphone, and PRE... Im not willing to move to AT&T, so that took the iphone out of contention at least for the short term, and I decided I like the form factor of the Droid better than PRE (although the PRE was VERY nice), and I didnt have to switch carriers.

Thats what I can think of for the moment - net is that so far Im EXTREMELY happy with the Droid - better function with almost no learning curve.

Hope this is at least a little helpful to anyone who is considering the jump...

jc
  18. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

I had a Pre for 3 months. Lots of potential but the small screen and keyboard was too much to get used to. Plus at times it was pretty sluggish. WebOS certainly has a lot going for it in terms of the interface. What Palm really needs to do is re-write it with the GPU in mind and possibly move to a slab-like design with a bigger screen and side-slide out keyboard similar to the droid.
  19. lowtech

lowtech New Member

I found it, tried it and uninstalled it. It was cranky! I got Keeper and really like it. It takes some initial tweaking, but that oblidged me to weed out a lot of old, unused passwords and trim the list. It synchs well now...
  20. doonger

doonger New Member

I'm a current Palm Centro user that's been looking forward to the Droid, but a little hesitant to make the plunge due to the mixed reviews...I suppose I have to just give it a shot and find out on my own.

But one HUGE question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to is whether or not there is a way to perform a complete phone backup/syncing with my desktop for the Droid. I know there are apps out there that can backup my contacts/calendar/etc...but one of the MAIN strengths of the Palm phones (at least for me) is the ability to do a COMPLETE backup/sync of the phone to the Palm Desktop Manager - not just of calendar and contacts, but all settings, preferences, and data such as ringer settings, phone background, text message conversations, downloaded applications (and associated data), etc...

Basically, if I lose my phone and replace it with a new one, I want to be able to plug it into my desktop and have it automatically updated so all settings are identical to the original. Can this be done with the Droid?
Search tags for this page
android outliner bonsai
convert natara bonsai
droid exchange calendar sync pocketmirror
how export palm memo to android
how to export pimlical data
howto transfer memos from palm pre2
inport palm .mba into samsung galaxy
migrate from palm treo 650 to galaxy s4
migrating from a palm 755p to a samsung android
palm android transition
palm os contacts to android