Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by lowtech, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Milehighjc

Milehighjc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Another thought for palm users... if you liked to group applications in palmos (as I did) using categories, I found a way to get a "similar" result. I have now set up several folders on my home screen that I drop similar applications into. That way Im not searching through what is now becoming a pretty large collection of apps to find something Im looking for.

A nice substitute for speed dial is to create a folder that contains shortcuts for direct dial... I've done one for all my family - The icons are pictures.

It takes some effort to set up, but it should be a one time event.

I think mjeagent's review is very good. Ive "played around" with the IPhone 3GS quite a bit . Awesome devices. Having said that, I think you have to consider carrier too. For me and the way I use the device, the Droid is looking like a great choice, and one that I think will be a fairly quick leap for those who were PalmOS fans in the past. For me, it was a very intuitive migration.

My 755P was still in great shape... needed to be hard reset, and reloaded (was running a little slow lately). But the Droid is at another level!

jc

2. mrpete311

mrpete311 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Handspring -> Palm -> BB Storm -> Droid...........so far LOVE this one the most. Only prob thus far is finding an easily manageable calendar/contacts connection with PC. I don't us GMAIL other than setting up an account for the phone. I use yahoo (work mail comes to it via alias).

Surely Outlook Express will sync with Droid soon. So far the droid/gmail transfering programs S-U-C-K! I've also tried 2 alternate software programs - also LOUSY!

Waiting ......

Pete

3. hazydave

hazydave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On Palm for some years, but never going back...

I started out on the PalmOS with the Palm V. I have owned a TX and a Treo 700p. Back in 2002 or so, I used one of the 3rd party Palm devices (don't recall who's, it was the one that did sound recording AND had a Compact Flash slot.. the only one) as a proof-of-concept remote control at a startup company I had formed with two friends... so I even did some coding on the PalmOS.

I was happy, early on. When the TX was out, I was starting to get a little frustrated with Palm... the device was actually a pretty good alternative to an iPod at the time, but Palm never tapped that capability... they wouldn't even release SDHC drivers for the TX (though they did for the Treo 700p, which used the same SOC as the TX).

And it was pretty clear just how long-in-the-tooth PalmOS was. I had some hope that would change after they bought Be, Inc... but nothing came of it. So once my Treo died, I decided enough with Palm, bought a dumb phone at a yard sale, and waited for The Next Big Thing. That was pretty clearly Android even before they had a device that met my needs. So once I read about the DROID... well, I was one of those geeks waiting outside Verizon that Friday at 6AM.

The PalmOS was never a thing of complexity, but after using the DROID for a few weeks, it's clear just how oversimplified it had become on modern hardware... they could have done so much more, but never did. Kind of sad, but I've never been one to spend too much time looking backwards.

Never considered the Pre or WebOS... Sprint is useless where I live, and I wasn't keen on offering up Palm another change. Plus, I'm kind of done with proprietary systems... a single OS/device vendor is SOOOOO 20th Century.

4. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "Another thought for palm users... if you liked to group applications in palmos (as I did) using categories, I found a way to get a "similar" result. I have now set up several folders on my home screen that I drop similar applications into. That way Im not searching through what is now becoming a pretty large collection of apps to find something Im looking for."

LOL! Now I realize why one of the first things I did when I began using the Eris was to learn to make new folders and put all my apps in them on the home screen! It's the years of Palm use coming out! :) I have folders for Travel, Shop, Do It! (productivity stuff), etc. (games, maps, etc.) with icons grouped in them... very comfortable for me now...

5. gpigate

gpigate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i go all the way back to the kyocera 7135 palm flip phone :) Man that thing was HUGE

The thing that I really miss is being able to group contacts so that on the contact list i can choose neighbors and limit the list. I am hoping there is a way and I just havent figure it out.

6. Milehighjc

Milehighjc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, that does go a ways back... I ran across my old IBM Workpad (a logo'd palm pilot). I cant believe I used to actually carry that in my jacket pocket! Weighed a ton too...

Have you tried the trick I mentioned a couple of posts back - create a folder with direct dials for the contacts you want ready access to? I wanted the same thing for my family.

jc

7. gpigate

gpigate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yep, and that works great for the contacts I want to speed dial. I just think this functionality on the contact list is a must. Also, its a pain to start typing a name to filter them. I am just starting to learn that this phone is not 1 hand friendly.

You can place the contacts into groups in gmail, but you cant sort by those groups on the droid. seems odd.

8. bernilynn

bernilynn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ohhh, thanks!! That does make things a lot neater. Now, can you figure out how to get folders onto my Kindle??

9. Milehighjc

Milehighjc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I follow you... and I agree. My old contact list had a group name field that I could filter on - that would be excellent.

RE: one hand friendly - since I havent been on the road yet since I got the Droid I hadnt noticed ... yet. Im forever walking through an airport dragging my bag with one hand and trying to operate the phone in the other. The Treo was decent at that. The folder trick works for that, but there is no way Ill ever put every possible group in a folder (much less maintain that on an ongoing basis).

jc

10. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had one! I loved it, clunky as it was. I went to a Treo and the rep at the VWZ store said a lot of people loved the Kyocera... but I never missed the size!

11. lowtech

lowtech Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good news - a calendar app is coming!

:icon_ banana: The guy who does Datebk is bringing out an entirely new but very similar calendar called Pimlical: Pimlico Software home page. It is already available for the desk and he plans to develop it for Android as well as other platforms! I am going to register a copy to support him... cross our fingers that the Android version comes out soon-ish!

12. gpigate

gpigate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was always afraid my wife was going to throw it at me.

Search tags for this page

datebk replacement

droid exchange calendar sync pocketmirror
how to export pimlical data
migrate from palm treo 650 to galaxy s4
palm desktop on android s4

palm users who changed to droid

tranfer all contacts from centro to android

transfer blue nomad memos from palm to android

transfer palm data to android

what does sync events 1 month back on iphone mail mean