Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

awong2683

Reaction score
From 755P to Droid

After and few weeks with the Droid...overall the Droid rocks! Some of the things I missed with my 755P...

1). Being able to color code my calendar. If you look at the Google calendar by "Month" view, all you get is a whole screen of green. It was nice to be able to put your work events in green, vacation time in yellow, etc.

2). Being able to backup the ENTIRE phones information on the computer with one push of a button. I'm trying out MyBackUp, so we'll see how it goes.

3). The physical keyboard of the Droid is slightly wider so typing on it will get a little getter used to.

4). Single button speed dial. So far I've gotten it down to three steps....Starred folder, contact, dial....anyone gotten down further??

Other than these minor gripes...I'm happy with the Droid!

ms.yvonne

Reaction score
Hi all. I found this forum while looking for a way to sync my Palm Desktop calendar to my new Moto Droid. I think I'm now more confused than when I started, but I am happy to read the comments from those of you who have recently switched, too. I'm coming from a Palm Treo 700P.

Are there thoughts on if the personal calendar that comes pre-installed is bad? I've already synched my work Outlook to gCal. I'm now trying to determine what to do next re: the Palm Desktop.

alwerner

Reaction score
Palm to Droid

Hi all. I found this forum while looking for a way to sync my Palm Desktop calendar to my new Moto Droid. I think I'm now more confused than when I started, but I am happy to read the comments from those of you who have recently switched, too. I'm coming from a Palm Treo 700P.

Are there thoughts on if the personal calendar that comes pre-installed is bad? I've already synched my work Outlook to gCal. I'm now trying to determine what to do next re: the Palm Desktop.

If you have your data in Outlook and have already sync'ed it to Google then you're golden.

I switched from my Centro to the Droid and it wasn't too painful. Palm Desktop has nice exports that made it very easy.

I'm fully switched over. I found that Google Docs is the best play for Memos (as you can access them via the browser and there will be an application for the Droid soon).

To-Dos are the only thing that are a little skeetchy but it's not a show stopper, I can use the browser if I need to look at them.

Milehighjc

Reaction score

CompanionLink has a app that will sync from Palm Desktop to gCal. I was using a trial of one of their other offerings to sync from Lotus Notes to gCal... it works reasonably well, but ran into some issues with repeating calendar entries (pretty complex actually, repeating entries that came to Lotus from an Outlook system that were weekly meetings for multiple years). Im still waiting to hear from their tech support (couple of days) before I make final decision about purchasing the app.

jc

ms.yvonne

Reaction score
I have work data in Outlook that I have synched to gCal, so no problem there. My personal data is in Palm Desktop (no synching ever between outlook and Palm Desktop). Am I exporting as a .dba file and then importing that to gCal? That's where I'm stuck. Thanks!

ms.yvonne

Reaction score
CompanionLink has a app that will sync from Palm Desktop to gCal. I was using a trial of one of their other offerings to sync from Lotus Notes to gCal... it works reasonably well, but ran into some issues with repeating calendar entries (pretty complex actually, repeating entries that came to Lotus from an Outlook system that were weekly meetings for multiple years). Im still waiting to hear from their tech support (couple of days) before I make final decision about purchasing the app.

jc

It sounds like for a one-time, one-way synch this would work for me. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have the multiple overlapping appts that you have, but I think I'm okay with that.

redwood

Reaction score
4). Single button speed dial. So far I've gotten it down to three steps....Starred folder, contact, dial....anyone gotten down further??

I use one of my home screens exclusively for speed dial - so at most two steps, usually one.

To create, Shortcut->Direct Dial->Choose a number to call. A shortcut gets generated on that home screen for that #. Works like a charm.

hope that helps

slorandy

Reaction score
I find the Google calendar a far cry from the icons, ease of choosing snooze times, method of alarms of the Palm calendar application Datebook. The developer is working on a version for the Droid that I eagerly await. I don't like Google calendar at all.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
I find the Google calendar a far cry from the icons, ease of choosing snooze times, method of alarms of the Palm calendar application Datebook. The developer is working on a version for the Droid that I eagerly await. I don't like Google calendar at all.

I certainly agree! Datebk was THE best on my Treo 755P - I knew I'd miss it... and boy, do I! I hope he can get the Android version up and working well soon. The Google calendar online is OK - on the Eris - yech! :angry:

ms.yvonne

Reaction score
I use one of my home screens exclusively for speed dial - so at most two steps, usually one.

To create, Shortcut->Direct Dial->Choose a number to call. A shortcut gets generated on that home screen for that #. Works like a charm.

hope that helps

Very helpful. Thanks for sharing. How do you delete a shortcut when you accidentally put it on the wrong homepage?

srothkin

Reaction score
How do you delete a shortcut when you accidentally put it on the wrong homepage?

Long tap/hold the icon. The application drawer icon at the bottom center of the screen will change to a trash can. Drag/drop the shortcut to the trashcan.

feivel

Reaction score
Red and Green Buttons

I miss the Dial and Hang Up buttons and the Silent Switch! I can't believe the Droid doesn't have the buttons, and the "lesser" Eris does.

Has anyone seen a way to assign the camera button or otherwise to work like an "end call" button?

Similarly, the lack of vibrate/silent switch is really taking some getting used to. If you hit the rocker switch, it only changes the ringer volume (calendar alarms and program alerts still get through) and it takes me to "silent" too easily. I want it on vibrate mode! If you hit the down button that extra time, it goes "silent" with no indication. Can you make it always vibrate on rings, like the Treo?

redwood

Reaction score
Can you make it always vibrate on rings, like the Treo?

On your wakeup screen, the left to right slide unlocks the phone; the right to left slide will mute the ringer.

To turn on the vibrate for incoming calls, go to settings->sound settings->phone vibrate

hope that helps

glenn

Reaction score
I too had been with Handspring/PalmOne/Palm for years and years, but when my Treo 755P keyboard started to fail (some keys just would not register) I was forced to replace, VZW was no longer providing the 755P so they gave me a BB Curve 8330 but that lacked so many features the Treo had (mobitv, faster streaming etc) when my 2 year renew was up, the Droid was a no brainier...WOW! is all I can say. No looking back. I held out for the Palm Pre, but there is not real sign VZW will be getting it. The Droid is absolutely the right direction and I have NO REGRETS. Maybe one...I do miss the thumb keyboard, but having 3 keyboard options with the Droid is certainly working out for me. This thing is simply amazing !