Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
I use one of my home screens exclusively for speed dial - so at most two steps, usually one.

To create, Shortcut->Direct Dial->Choose a number to call. A shortcut gets generated on that home screen for that #. Works like a charm.

hope that helps

Very helpful. Thanks for sharing. How do you delete a shortcut when you accidentally put it on the wrong homepage?

Press on the shortcut icon and drag it down... the Remove feature will light up and turn red; drag the icon onto that and it will be deleted. Or... you can drag the icon to another home screen.

crazy650

Reaction score
I switched from a 700p treo to the driod eris i cant tell you how much i love this phone and soon it well be coming out with gps hell yea and we get 2.0 like im trying to find things i dont like but as of my frist day with phone i have not at all. post back later with up date

crazy650

Reaction score
go to the market and look under tools there is one i got like about 6 stright hard hours looking for stuff was board at work found all kinds many to last as

taskiller
ringdriod
carmode
advanced task manager
batteryalarm
chompSMS
flashlight
gsDriod for xbox live
iMusic
last.fm
mountUSB
PDFGView
Spare Parts
TV.com
TippenTime
XtremelabsSpeedtest
Them are all so far that i found i like alot

:the silent mode hold the end button for like 2 seconds
this well pop up
power off
silent mode
vibration mode
airplane mode
mobile network
that turns off your updates like face book email so on

I miss the Dial and Hang Up buttons and the Silent Switch! I can't believe the Droid doesn't have the buttons, and the "lesser" Eris does.

Has anyone seen a way to assign the camera button or otherwise to work like an "end call" button?

Similarly, the lack of vibrate/silent switch is really taking some getting used to. If you hit the rocker switch, it only changes the ringer volume (calendar alarms and program alerts still get through) and it takes me to "silent" too easily. I want it on vibrate mode! If you hit the down button that extra time, it goes "silent" with no indication. Can you make it always vibrate on rings, like the Treo?

Last edited:

alwerner

Reaction score
Handspring -> Palm -> BB Storm -> Droid...........so far LOVE this one the most. Only prob thus far is finding an easily manageable calendar/contacts connection with PC. I don't us GMAIL other than setting up an account for the phone. I use yahoo (work mail comes to it via alias).

Surely Outlook Express will sync with Droid soon. So far the droid/gmail transfering programs S-U-C-K! I've also tried 2 alternate software programs - also LOUSY!

Waiting ......

Pete

An alternate solution is to hook up your GMail to your mail provider (i.e. pull/copy your email into your GMail account). That way you can still use Express but also get your mail on your phone.

If you like that solution, you can forward your mail from your current provider and redirect Express to Gmail.

Just my $0.02 worth.

kamkay

Reaction score
I just left Treo 700WX for the Moto Droid. Love the Droid but have had several problems with it that kind of leaves me missing the Treo. I love what the Droid is and does just several problems with it already that makes me wonder if its going to be a LONG 2 years (new every two).

alwerner

Reaction score
Memos to Docs

I was able to move my contacts and calendar easily from Palm Centro to google and my Droid. However, I could not figure out a way to move my memos on my palm. i tried different apps including the gdoc and I tried to move my memos on google document but it would not move to my palm.
Any of you was able to move the memos from Palm to Droid? how?
thanks

Actually it was pretty easy. Use Palm Desktop and export your memos as a .TXT file. You can then go into Google Docs and import, job done.

What I did to make my life easier (and immediate gratification), I exported all memos in a category as a single .TXT file so I had less importing to do. You can then break out the items (if you wish) once it's in Google Docs.

I found that I didn't need to keep a lot of individual memos and most could be consolidated as I didn't use them that frequently.

alwerner

Reaction score
Birthdays

Treo 750P, 755P, Droid, I/Phone, back to Droid........
Last thing, someone else mentioned. My contacts on my Treo allowed me to enter birthdays and weddng ann. It then merged into the calendar. So simple and cool. Wahhhhh...why wont the Droid do this. :)

I have not found how to track anniversaries, but for birthdays, they are added to your calendar by adding additional calendars. It's the same process for adding holidays and sports calendars to your Google Calendar.

alwerner

Reaction score
After and few weeks with the Droid...overall the Droid rocks! Some of the things I missed with my 755P...

1). Being able to color code my calendar. If you look at the Google calendar by "Month" view, all you get is a whole screen of green. It was nice to be able to put your work events in green, vacation time in yellow, etc.

4). Single button speed dial. So far I've gotten it down to three steps....Starred folder, contact, dial....anyone gotten down further??

Other than these minor gripes...I'm happy with the Droid!

For #1, you can create multiple calendars in your Google Calendar. I have a personal one and a family one. Each has it's own color scheme. You can also add additional calendars (think layers) for Holidays, birthdays, and sports events.

#4) You can add "shortcuts" to your home page for individuals. I have not tried this yet (the favorite/starred contacts) works well for me.

alwerner

Reaction score
I have work data in Outlook that I have synched to gCal, so no problem there. My personal data is in Palm Desktop (no synching ever between outlook and Palm Desktop). Am I exporting as a .dba file and then importing that to gCal? That's where I'm stuck. Thanks!

A "cheat" is to export to .DBA file, load it into Yahoo Calendar, and then export into a format that Google uses.

alwerner

Reaction score
I miss the Dial and Hang Up buttons and the Silent Switch! I can't believe the Droid doesn't have the buttons, and the "lesser" Eris does.

Has anyone seen a way to assign the camera button or otherwise to work like an "end call" button?

Similarly, the lack of vibrate/silent switch is really taking some getting used to. If you hit the rocker switch, it only changes the ringer volume (calendar alarms and program alerts still get through) and it takes me to "silent" too easily. I want it on vibrate mode! If you hit the down button that extra time, it goes "silent" with no indication. Can you make it always vibrate on rings, like the Treo?

[End Call]
Is there a problem with the End Call virtual button when you pull the phone away from your face? That does the same thing as a physical button.

[Silent]
When you turn on/wake up the phone there is a speaker symbol, drag the speaker to the left and that will silence the phone, drag again to turn the speaker back on.

The downside is that it's turns off vibrate as well, but "there is an app for that". Silent Jammer will give you the functionality of silent but vibrate.

southerntim

Reaction score
How do you do the migration from Palm to google calendar?

I'm trying to work out how to do it without using Outlook. Any suggestions/experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks..

southerntim

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but that link goes to this thread.

I've been though it, and I guess I'll ask if Companion Link is worth the $40 to just eliminate the hassle.

I don't have an old enough version of palm desktop which can create the right version of the dba file which Yahoo will accept. I have the cd and loaded the 4.0.1 version of desktop, but naturally my 755p won't connect to that old version.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

alwerner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but that link goes to this thread.

I've been though it, and I guess I'll ask if Companion Link is worth the $40 to just eliminate the hassle.

I don't have an old enough version of palm desktop which can create the right version of the dba file which Yahoo will accept. I have the cd and loaded the 4.0.1 version of desktop, but naturally my 755p won't connect to that old version.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

I used the lastest version of the Palm Desktop (Access database) with my Palm Centro and it worked.

southerntim

Reaction score
Good news. You just exported to a .dba file from Palm Desktop, then imported that into Yahoo Calendar, then exported from Yahoo calendar into the appropriate file and imported that successfully into Google?

T