Overheating when idle

bluestreak123

Reaction score
At seemingly random intervals (about a week or two) my phone , while idle, will start to get really hot. The battery is also suddenly drained. Usually I will turn the phone off, charge it up and let it sit for a bit plugged in and the problem goes away for the time being.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? This is not a problem specific to squid's rom, but since I am using it, I figured I would start by posting here.

I don't run overclocked, and this has happened at stock voltage and low voltage through oc battsaver script.

The only services I keep on are 3g and Wifi, and Wifi only when I'm at a location I know I will be connected to a network.

Droid 2, Squid 2.3.20.2 Stock

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You should take a look at the Battery Use and see which apps/systems are using the battery. Try to do this immediately after the sudden heat/battery drain issue. This may help show you what's draining the battery and causing the heat.

One possibility is a low signal issue causing the phone to search constantly for a signal - is that possible?

Anyway check the Battery Use as soon as possible after the next event.

Good luck.

OP
B

bluestreak123

Reaction score
When I checked the battery usage this most recent time it appeared to be google.process.gapps causing the issue. I have read that there is a calendar syncing bug that can cause it, so I shut off all syncing other than Gmail.

The other times I did try to check the battery usage, but the battery usage app would force close on me. I have gone through the process of charging, wiping battery stats, decharging with little use, charging and applying squid's battmanfix script, but occasionally the force close still occurs. I have not had any noticeable issue with signal service, but I suppose depending on the situation that's certainly possible. I live and work in an area with generally very solid service though.

I have also read that it can be caused by an app trying to update itself in the background if you have a poor network connection, though I'm not sure how to monitor network usage per app/service.

Thank you for your response, I will update this as learn more.

squidlymandingo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Very true it is most likely an app I have had most problems with task killers don't use them I especially had an issue with advanced task killer,but check email and other settings.

OP
B

bluestreak123

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip squid. I don't use task killers but I am considering rolling back the recent Gmail update. After charging my droid and wiping my battery stats, I let it sit idle for 3 hours. In that time 30% of my battery was used, which most people on this forum know is really unusual for this rom.

The top 4 battery users were:

Android System 40%
Cell Standby 20%
Phone Idle 13%
com.google.process.gapps 7%

There were a few app updates over the past few days, but none that run constantly except Gmail. I will start by uninstalling the Gmail updates.

squidlymandingo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Something is definitely up for instance I get about 16 hours under normal use, another thing to save battery life is shut off wifi and gps when not in use and turn down the screen brightness.