OTA: Removed bloatware and can't update.

sfierro

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been answered in the midst of another thread.
I recieved the update and accepted but it failed to for obvious reasons, so I was just wondering if there is anyway to update OTA without wiping and going back to stock cause we all hate reinstalling and configuring every app again. (Possibly just reinstalling bloatware, which I don't have the .apks) I only rooted and uninstalled the basic bloatware like Madden, the golf one, and go to meeting, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I recieved the update and accepted but it failed to for obvious reasons, so I was just wondering if there is anyway to update OTA without wiping and going back to stock cause we all hate reinstalling and configuring every app again. (Possibly just reinstalling bloatware, which I don't have the .apks) I only rooted and uninstalled the basic bloatware like Madden, the golf one, and go to meeting, etc.

Thanks!

I don't think so. If you removed apps you may be screwed and there is no sbf. If you removed the apps before doing a backup after root you will need to get someone to send you the apks that you are missing (and even that may not work). I'm not a root expert so hopefully someone who knows more about root has a better answer for you.

droidony

Reaction score
yeah i deleted guidedtours.apk and while looking at the recovery log tha'ts when my updates fails. i need to get guidedtours.apk can someone help me with sending me that apk?

captjmatz

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Can you tell me how to find the log file so I can figure out which apks I need?

droidony

Reaction score
I use root explorer but any file view should work. go to cache/recovery/last_log (one your click on last_log it will ask you what you want to open it with, choose text viewer) and read your errors is where i would start

Last edited:

jays91ls

Reaction score

Thanks!

you do know all 3 of those apps you mentioned of uninstalling didn't need a root to uninstall right??

OP
sfierro

sfierro

Reaction score
you do know all 3 of those apps you mentioned of uninstalling didn't need a root to uninstall right??

I didn't, but sadly I also removed a few root ones like the vcast apps.

jays91ls

Reaction score
Oh well live and learn right! , yea anything labeled as verizon you are usually better off just freezing at least that's what I always did,I honestly don't even bother rooting my phone anymore, not saying its bad just saying I learn to live with those annoying apps lol

Agrajag

Reaction score
Same issue for me and I don't even have a Recovery folder under cache showing up.

There has to be a solution to this. Guided Tours is definitely gone from my phone as well but I suspect a couple other things are gone too. I would love that APK as well if anyone gets it just to keep moving the bar along. I'd love to see a list of factory-installed apps for the RAZR.

droidony

Reaction score
hmm, move the update file after you dl (thats located in cache should say Blur_Version6.11.744.xt912.verzon.en.us.zip) to your sd-ext( or sd, sd-ext is the card you put in where sd is the internal memory partition). go into stock recovery . hold power and up+down on volume buttons then try installing. it should fail but it may make the file after the manual install, i didn't check until after i tried to manually install.

armada10

Reaction score
Had razrx v1.0 installed, went back to rooted stock rom(had uninstalled madden, let's golf and go to meeting previously), unfroze everything, downloaded ota rootkeeper from the market, unrooted using app, downloaded and installed update, successful and restored root with app. By the way is you have safe strap installed its gone after update.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why you should never delete the apps. They take up so little space, you gain nothing by deleting them. Just root, change the extension from ".apk" to ".old" or something, and reboot. Debloats, and if you need to do an OTA, you just go to the apps, and find all the "old" ones and rename to APK and reboot.

Deleting a few MB of apps on a phone with 32+gb of storage is like taking a few tablespoons of water out of a lake and thinking you made a difference. You didn't. Just rename them in the future and you won't have to worry about this stuff.

Agrajag

Reaction score
hmm, move the update file after you dl (thats located in cache should say Blur_Version6.11.744.xt912.verzon.en.us.zip) to your sd-ext( or sd, sd-ext is the card you put in where sd is the internal memory partition). go into stock recovery . hold power and up+down on volume buttons then try installing. it should fail but it may make the file after the manual install, i didn't check until after i tried to manually install.

Still no luck. I download the app and I get the prompt to Install Now or Install Later. I jump out to ES File Explorer, Astro and Files and none of them show any such folder or file under Cache. All I have under cache is "images" and "music" folders. That's it.

This last time I chose "Install Later" assuming it'd be easy to find the zip. No such luck. Is this hidden?

Agrajag

Reaction score
This is why you should never delete the apps. They take up so little space, you gain nothing by deleting them. Just root, change the extension from ".apk" to ".old" or something, and reboot. Debloats, and if you need to do an OTA, you just go to the apps, and find all the "old" ones and rename to APK and reboot.

Deleting a few MB of apps on a phone with 32+gb of storage is like taking a few tablespoons of water out of a lake and thinking you made a difference. You didn't. Just rename them in the future and you won't have to worry about this stuff.

We all get this now. In my case it's due to two years of being rooted and re-rom'ed on my OG Droid. I got used to having full control and I'd never heard of the option of freezing prior to this.