Question related to bloatware removal

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So many of you talk about wanting to remove the bloatware. I know I went through the included apps and deleted all the ones that it allowed me to (Madden, Let's Golf).

That said, I have a lot of apps loaded on my phone. Too many to list. Yet I am only using 728MB, and have 2.3GB free for additional apps. I've seen where if you removed the bloatware you might not get the OTA updates.

So my question: what is the rationale behind taking extra efforts to delete the bloatware? It isn't a space issue as far as I can tell.

rbw62

Reaction score
I think its a matter of pride. "I did not ask for it, do not need it" thing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So many of you talk about wanting to remove the bloatware. I know I went through the included apps and deleted all the ones that it allowed me to (Madden, Let's Golf).

That said, I have a lot of apps loaded on my phone. Too many to list. Yet I am only using 728MB, and have 2.3GB free for additional apps. I've seen where if you removed the bloatware you might not get the OTA updates.

So my question: what is the rationale behind taking extra efforts to delete the bloatware? It isn't a space issue as far as I can tell.
Not so long ago the removal of bloatware was a good way to free-up valuable memory on your phone. That's not so much true with the newer smartphones you find in the market today. You're right, there is a lot more memory in today's phones than most people will ever need...eliminating the need to delete bloatware. However, some folks just want that stuff off their phones, not necessarily to free up the space but "just because it is there" and to rid themselves of "carrier specific" apps/programs/services that they don't need or will never use. There's something to be said about a "clean" phone.

jtpowell

Reaction score
Because they can. Since the apps can be hidden from the menu as well they should be out of site out of mind. Not only do we have the 2GB of Internal area we also have the 8GB "Media" area to move apps to. That's a total of 10GB for Android apps. Even rooted, which I am, there is no good reason to delete them knowing what we should all know by now of the problems with OTA when you delete. Freeze it and enjoy your OTA later.

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Between Blur being toned down and bloatware having a negligible effect, I just have no need of ROMs and al the headaches that come with it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I don't remove bloat for space needs, I remove it for saving on battery and performance needs. Why do I need Vz Navigator loading in the background when I load Google Maps, or Google Books opening when I load the Market, all the apps that are not removable and I don't use open at periodic times and use unneeded resources. That is why I do it, has nothing to do with space.