How to block the 2.3.340 OTA update?

xmguy

Reaction score
Today I got the OTA message for the 2.3.340 update. I want to block this since no CONFIRMED root process works. Plus I've removed the stock apps. Blockbuster, etc.

I have bootstrap installed will Clockwork block the OTA?

ALSO when I do choose to update. If I reinstall the bloatware and set the permissions will the OTA take? I've read reports where it fails and the OTA 2.3.340 must be flashed with RSD.

Last edited:

Laniadude

Reaction score
It works..... Confirmed

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

GatorBait1996

Reaction score
I too just got the OTA update popup, it actually started to download, I pulled the battery, it would be nice if someone could tell how to block the OTA update or PM to to tell me how to.

Thanks.

Mayze

Reaction score
Z4 root works. Was the first thing I did after OTA finished installing.

musicman

Reaction score
I also used z4root and it was successful.

Dustin.

Reaction score
If you don't want to install the actual OTA, you can use the TBH way, you just install the four parts of .340 and your phone will be fully updated to .340 without the hassle of downloading the OTA..

Did it a couple of days ago and I can confirm I have a 100% working root on .340 with a custom ROM as well.

GatorBait1996

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info, I was a little nervous that it started to download especially since I just upgraded my phone from the Droid1 to the DX and I had just rooted and installed chevyno1's ROM yesterday, I was afraid it would either brick my phone or mess up my setup. I'll try this in a a bit as soon as I get the kids off to school. Thanks Again!

GatorBait1996

Reaction score
I decided not to take the OTA update, I didn't take the update because I just got the phone how I like it and I didn't know if my ROM would work well with it, I downloaded z4root.1.3.0.apk just in case, but I think I'll wait to hear if it works with my ROM or if another ROM will be released with that build.

Here's what I did in the meantime: I renamed /system/app/upgrader.apk to .bak to stop OTA updates in the future, I then changed /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak, also located in /etc/security. I have at least stopped the nagging about installing the update that got downloaded for now.

I'd still like to find where it downloads to and delete it, does anyone know where the downloads live?? Thanks.

Last edited:

pego99

Reaction score
Its on the SD root called update.zip

GatorBait1996

Reaction score
Its on the SD root called update.zip

I beg to differ, the update.zip that's on my SD card is the custom one I put there to install chevyno1's ROM, I double checked the build.prop file just in case the OTA update replced it, but even the timestamp was not correct.

leonsb3

Reaction score
Here's what I did in the meantime: I renamed /system/app/upgrader.apk to .bak to stop OTA updates in the future, I then changed /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak, also located in /etc/security. I have at least stopped the nagging about installing the update that got downloaded for now..

Thank you! I needed this...until I can theme .340 to 928's black glass I'm not updating. So this helped me out a ton! :)