OTA update question

Boriquaman

Reaction score
I have not gotten the update yet but I know a lot of people have already... SO my question is..1. Will you loose Root?2. Will it re-install programs ( bloatware ) that I have already deleted or removed from my device?3. Will i get the OTA if I'm rooted? Should I unroot?4. What are the new features?and most important.. 5. If I loose root, can I get root back after i update?Thanks Guys..and Girls...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. See news section for complete feature list
5. Good question. Not known at this time

I would make sure you have ALL your bloat intact before updating or the the risk of a failed update increases greatly.

OP
B

Boriquaman

Reaction score
Where can I get the bloatware if I deleted them? Is there anywhere I can get the original image the phone came with? my PC backup got corrupted and I no longer have the original image backup I made.won't the OTA just reinstall the software all over again?any help is appreciated..

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Where can I get the bloatware if I deleted them? Is there anywhere I can get the original image the phone came with? my PC backup got corrupted and I no longer have the original image backup I made.won't the OTA just reinstall the software all over again?any help is appreciated..
No unfortunately it won't. You may have to fastboot back to .471 and OTA to .478 before you can successfully download and install the OTA. Cereal Killer is right, if you have deleted bloatware or any other "system" app then your chances of a successful OTA update is slim...not impossible, but slim.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No unfortunately it won't. You may have to fastboot back to .471 and OTA to .478 before you can successfully download and install the OTA. Cereal Killer is right, if you have deleted bloatware or any other "system" app then your chances of a successful OTA update is slim...not impossible, but slim.

Jp, I think you mean fastboot to .744, and OTA to .748... This is a tough job, being tech support and for such small wages, huh Jp? LOL!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
B

Boriquaman

Reaction score
Where can I get an image to restore it back to factory?or .471? and if I get .471, will that restore the deleted bloatware I deleted?thanks again guys...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Where can I get an image to restore it back to factory?or .471? and if I get .471, will that restore the deleted bloatware I deleted?thanks again guys...

Here on the Razr hacks forum are links. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1947386
need to remove all traces of root.
It's 6.11.744 that you are looking for.

Last edited:
OP
B

Boriquaman

Reaction score
i think it was Kasparity and two games I deleted that came with the Razr...

kb3awq

Reaction score
There should be a sticky for these questions since they are asked pretty frequently. It seems the best answer to not being able to install update "When It Comes" is to follow the fastboot instructions, and when all else fails fastboot. When the official update comes which should be real soon it seems but if everyone gets it and you dont it would be apparent your off the path by something being changed on your phone that shouldnt for OTA in which case fastboot. dancedroid:icon_ lala:

Reaction score
The latest version 173 can not be rooted! This had been proven for a month now. You must root while on 748, then download root keeper from the market and use it to preserve root while updating to 173.

cece5702

Reaction score
Who's received the OTA update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Jp, I think you mean fastboot to .744, and OTA to .748... This is a tough job, being tech support and for such small wages, huh Jp? LOL!

Yes, you are right (.744)...on all accounts:biggrin: To many numbers to remember. I wish guys who want to root would just freeze, move or rename bloatware or apps they don't use. We need a big STICKY that says "RULE #1 FOR ROOT...DO NOT DELETE...RENAME, MOVE OR FREEZE".

jeppes

Reaction score
I installed the leaked version of 173 then went back to 748 did I need to go back to 744 first then OTA to 748?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I installed the leaked version of 173 then went back to 748 did I need to go back to 744 first then OTA to 748?

No, you should be alright as long as you have a successful .748 installation. I'd recommend you leave your phone not rooted until after you get the OTA update, which should be pretty soon ( no more than a few days anyway).