Original Moto Droid Woes

pwnyxpress34

Reaction score
Been a mostly satisfied owner of the original Motorola Droid since December 2009. As time has gone by, the phone has bogged down as expected, yet just recently it has become a huge nuisance like it knows I'm near upgrade or something. My question is, should I try to salvage it and trick it out any? should I get a new phone at a discounted but not full discounted price (available Aug 2011)? or should I wait for the newest phone craze to take off and jump on that? I know if I jump the gun on this, I'll be kicking myself when something new and amazing releases the day after I get my "new" phone. Some of the issues I currently experience: disappearing home screen icons, screen going berserk on it's own as if I'm touching it, incoming calls not displaying contact names and just numbers, laggy screens on all fronts, plenty of force closes.

PS. New to the forums, take it easy on me!!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, try rooting and overclocking. It makes a HUGE difference.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
P

pwnyxpress34

Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to start, and I've heard horror stories of things going wrong while trying. Is is worth the risk?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you do it right, there is little risk... Root is awesome. I would flash a custom ROM also.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

DROOIID

Reaction score
Try factory reset before rooting and oc'ing. Just my 2 cents. Rooting is a breeze and it is very hard to completely brick your phone. Only heard of it twice... there are always people here to help if needed.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
+1 on the factory reset, it will refresh the phone back to original state, google would restore your contacts and emails.

I would also avoid restoring all your apps. Restore them manually just the ones you are actually using, to much clutter on the phone slows it down.

illegalsmile

Reaction score
My lady-friends phone is doing this same sort of stuff, especially with gchat and text messaging...

I have a droid x so I'm familiar with rooting, rom'ing and oc'ing... That being said, is it the same steps to root, flash rom, etc...?

What's the best rom for a Droid? How do you do a factory reset (same as droid x in clockwork?)? Is this droid on the newest OS or should I download a newer one, is there a gingerbread release for OG Droid?

Any links to the necessary steps and software downloads are appreciated. Thanks

illegalsmile

Reaction score
Would it be best to root/reboot and install Stock Rooted Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) ROM Update GPA15 from Peter Alfonso?

DROOIID

Reaction score
My lady-friends phone is doing this same sort of stuff, especially with gchat and text messaging...

I have a droid x so I'm familiar with rooting, rom'ing and oc'ing... That being said, is it the same steps to root, flash rom, etc...?

What's the best rom for a Droid? How do you do a factory reset (same as droid x in clockwork?)? Is this droid on the newest OS or should I download a newer one, is there a gingerbread release for OG Droid?

You can factory reset a nonrooted Droid in the settings. There are gb roms for the droid, most of them are memory intense so some people are having problems multitasking. For your lady friend I would suggest a solid froyo rom so she doesnt have to work around the few gb bugs.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

You can factory reset a nonrooted Droid in the settings. There are gb roms for the droid, most of them are memory intense so some people are having problems multitasking. For your lady friend I would suggest a solid froyo rom so she doesnt have to work around the few gb bugs.

Chevyno1's simply stunning 5.4 gingerbread 2.3.4 = the best rom gingerbread OR froyo I have EVER run, Droid does but chevyno1 does better ;)

It'll make just about anyone think twice about upgrading early or at all lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just do a factory data reset as someone else recommended. It will fix you right up. Also remove any task killers or antivirus.

matt2783

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you a few months back... I was considering doing a factory reset, as I had done once in the past, but really didn't like the idea of losing all my data. I decided I would either buy a new phone or try to root and flash custom ROMs. Even though the thought of it scared me, I ultimately decided it was worth trying. Reasons being, at worst I brick my phone, at best I save myself a few hundred on a new phone... And being I was ready to buy a new phone anyway, I wasn't really risking anything.

So I did some research, followed some pretty easy to follow directions, and had a gingerbread ROM (CM7) within a day. The difference is night and day, all of the performance problems I had went away, and now I was running the newest version of Android with a bunch of extra features.

My point is, if your ready to buy a new phone and have any interest in rooting and flashing ROMs, now is the time to try. The D1 is one of the easiest phones to do it on, and if something does go wrong, your really not losing all that much.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again for gingerbread I highly highly recommend simply stunning 5.4, chevyno1 knows how to make awesome roms and kernels

illegalsmile

Reaction score
OK well I thought reinstalling 2.2.2 or going to GB (phone is running SS 5.4 now, which is awesome) would fix the hardware issue.

The phone is possessed, anyone know how to fix this other than buying a new phone? Buttons press themselves, parts of the touchscreen work off and on, other times it will work flawelessly, but mostly it's just messed up.

illegalsmile

Reaction score
Also in response to the D1 being one of the easiest phones to rom and play with... I would totally disagree, my DX was farrrrrrr easier to root/add roms/etc. Root with software (z4, oneclick) BAM, bootstrap (download from market) BAM, install whatever rom you want BAM. Done.

D1 i had to actually install RSDlite with drivers (ughhh), then i had to custom sbf it, then run update.zip, THEN i had to install rom manager, THEN i had to install Clockwork (TWICE because the first one didn't take and messed the phone up), then I could finally install SS5.4. Though when the phone wasn't possessed I was extremely impressed by SS5.4 on the D1, it ran really smoothly and besides a few things seems almost as good as my DX running liberty v0.6. If the hardware/touchscreen on the D1 wasn't so messed up the thing would be essentially a brand new droid.