Okay....sorry I am confused...but will we be able to SAFELY get Android 2.1 on Droid?

hughesjr

Reaction score
Google provides the "Source Code" for the OS. My understanding is that the device manufacturers would compile that source code, optimizing it for their hardware.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
VVM could very well just be an add on that VZW tacks on to the update when it's pushed out, though. We don't know for sure that they have any part on the OS development or tweaking. They could very well just have the OTA installer grab the VZW specific apps along the way when the OS is pushed to us.

I think this is more than likely true because I believe, if you click on the icon, it is just a link to install the VVW program. I don't know because I haven't tried it, but that was my understanding from others.

That was the case for Bing on the BlackBerry as well, but Bing got in there without anyone really noticing. One day, there it was. My wife got it recently on her curve, and she hasn't done an OS update in over a year; so it had to be OTA.

albertmartel

Reaction score
I would think given it up to Verizon when they push out to the phones.. it may not happen till they get the Google phone as a offered phone.. I can't see them pushing before then.. otherwise what would be the selling point of the phone if it not feature of the 2.1 and faster processor and more ram..just my 2cent worth..

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hughesjr is right on the money.

Once moto and VZ agree on the Droid's 2.1, and google ok's it as well, the VZ will push it out OTA.

To the OP, nothing to worry about, there are plenty of threads for installable 2.1 apps that you can use without rooting your phone to enjoy until the OTA ...

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i've read the same thing. very curious about this. the article i read said something along the lines that the droid's processor isnt quick enough to effectively utilize all the bells and whistles of the 2.1. maybe that's why some of us had an issues with that 2.1 launcher. i know i did so i deleted it.
where did you read that? it is wrong
i couldn't find where, i've been reading quite a few articles on the Nexus today. hell it could've been someone's comments in the bottom of an article. i hope it's incorrect cause i'm looking forward to 2.1

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think given it up to Verizon when they push out to the phones.. it may not happen till they get the Google phone as a offered phone.. I can't see them pushing before then.. otherwise what would be the selling point of the phone if it not feature of the 2.1 and faster processor and more ram..just my 2cent worth..
This would cripple their Droid sales to hold off the update. The Nexus isn't coming to VZW to compete with Droid, it's coming in conjunction with, to further expand Google's market share and control.

2.1 will come to the Droid as soon as they can have it ready. They're not waiting for the Nexus to come to VZW.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i've read the same thing. very curious about this. the article i read said something along the lines that the droid's processor isnt quick enough to effectively utilize all the bells and whistles of the 2.1. maybe that's why some of us had an issues with that 2.1 launcher. i know i did so i deleted it.
where did you read that? it is wrong
i couldn't find where, i've been reading quite a few articles on the Nexus today. hell it could've been someone's comments in the bottom of an article. i hope it's incorrect cause i'm looking forward to 2.1
During the Q&A with Google during the Nexus Live stream yesterday, Google said that not all functions of new OSes will work with all devices. They didn't single out the Droid. 2.1 will be optimized for the Droid... they didn't make any mention that Droid would suffer cut backs on the 2.1 update. Actually... they confirmed 2.1 will come to the Droid.

Basically they were just saying that they're not gonna push an update on a device that will 'hurt' the device. They want all Android devices running smoothly (if they don't it creates a bad product image). So if need be they'll 'cut' out certain functions of an OS to keep the phones running smooth.

Droid and Eris Droid are confirmed for 2.1

albertmartel

Reaction score
If the confusion is will you be able to install it safely on your droid .. the answer is it depends.. 1. How good you are at installing apps on your droid yourself if it rooted.there will be lot of folks here on this forum to help you get it install safely, once it been release to the open source .2.If your phone is not rooted then you have to wait till verizon push it to get it done safely..hope that helps..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the confusion is will you be able to install it safely on your droid .. the answer is it depends.. 1. How good you are at installing apps on your droid yourself if it rooted.there will be lot of folks here on this forum to help you get it install safely, once it been release to the open source .2.If your phone is not rooted then you have to wait till verizon push it to get it done safely..hope that helps..
OTA updates are done by the phone itself. All you have to do is click to start it.

Don't HAVE to wait for OTA.... if we're lucky enough for someone to provide a zip of the update we can do it manually, just as we did here in the forums for 2.0.1 :icon_ banana:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the manual update way should also work with a rooted phone to my understanding correct??? i think i read that in one of my threads but double checking for good measure.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Keep in mind that the 2.1 apps that are being hacked to allow us to install them as apps are being deodexed among other changes to make then installable apps for us. An app with a matching odex file is sort of like a coproccessor (in laymen's terms) for the app. When you "deodex" an app you are removing that "coproccessor" and it is naturally going to be slower. PLUS, the other hacks needed to make it installable can also slow it down, and sometimes proccesses are somewhat crippled in the process which can also result in slowing it down and even causing it to FC a lot. Rarely will any of these "hacked" 2.1 apps work like the native 2.1 app will, at least on the first attempt. It can take a lot fo time (and expertise) to tweak the app to get it to perform better.

The only example of a 2.1 app (so far) that works smoothly for everyone is the "News and Weather" app/widget (Geniewidget.apk), part of the reason this works so well is that it did not originally have a companion Odex file so it was a simple copy it off the 2.1 system and install without having to go inside and tweak it. Since the app was designed without an Odex file it is running as good now as it would on a 2.1 system.

Seeing how the 2.1 hacks are running on the Droid now is not a real comparison because all of it was taken from a version of 2.1 optimized for the Nexus, not the Droid. Plus I highly doubt the 2.1 that was sucked off the Nexus when it first came out is the production version of 2.1 anyway. I have already seen one pic of a Nexus one with an Update Notice on the screen so I would imagine it had already received at least one update since it was first hacked. These are probably subtle differences and those subtle differences can have a big effect on how the OS runs on the device(s).

BTW, IMHO, the processor inside the Droid can handle anything the Nexus can and any real speed difference will be hard to measure in real world usage.

The bottom line is there is no need to worrry, our Droids are gonna be kicking butt for at least a year or two. My next upgrade date is July 2011 so I feel comfortable my Droid will take good care of me until then! :)

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right on 928! +1.

In addition, if I'm correct, we have a CPU and a dedicated GPU, whereas the N1 has that snapdragon 1Ghz performing both functions. So to me other than maybe the memory increase, both should perform on par.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Never believe anything you read from PC World. They are one of the biggest spreaders of wrong information in the media world. They are all Apple fanboys that are still upset about the Droid stealing the spotlight from their precious iPhone so any chance they get to smear the Droid or the Android OS and spread misinformation they jump at it.

I generally agree with your view of PC World, but I thought one thing they said about the Nexus One was valid... It is more like a next generation MyTouch than the "revolutionary" phone so many were expecting of a "Google designed device"

Newton122189

Reaction score
Never believe anything you read from PC World. They are one of the biggest spreaders of wrong information in the media world. They are all Apple fanboys that are still upset about the Droid stealing the spotlight from their precious iPhone so any chance they get to smear the Droid or the Android OS and spread misinformation they jump at it.

I generally agree with your view of PC World, but I thought one thing they said about the Nexus One was valid... It is more like a next generation MyTouch than the "revolutionary" phone so many were expecting of a "Google designed device"

yeah, someone on these forums said a really good thing about the nexus one today or yesterday, they said its more of a "sidegrade" instead of an upgrade from the droid, i think the performance is going to be very similar even though the N1 looks like its gonna be better on paper