Okay....sorry I am confused...but will we be able to SAFELY get Android 2.1 on Droid?

zinny0753

Reaction score
I am rather confused now. I got an email yesterday saying we could but am reading things to the contrary. I have a few days left on my return window and although I do love the phone....that Nexus One looks pretty darn nice as well. (I do not use the physical keyboard.)

Thanks for the clarification

Will

Laurence5905

Reaction score
There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Droid will eventually have the 2.1 update. The only question is when will we get it. Some are saying Jan. 22, but that's only a rumour right now. I've heard one person say it might be as late as April 2010 -- again, just a rumour.

We will get 2.1. When will we get it? That's the question.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes, we will get it. But nobody knows when. There have been zero announcements so whatever people on here say is speculation. Sure, 2.1 will be out in open source in a few days but it wont be optimized for our phones. vzon has to get their hands on it and fix it up. Probably are doing it right now.

I am rather confused now. I got an email yesterday saying we could but am reading things to the contrary. I have a few days left on my return window and although I do love the phone....that Nexus One looks pretty darn nice as well. (I do not use the physical keyboard.)

Thanks for the clarification

Will

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i've read the same thing. very curious about this. the article i read said something along the lines that the droid's processor isnt quick enough to effectively utilize all the bells and whistles of the 2.1. maybe that's why some of us had an issues with that 2.1 launcher. i know i did so i deleted it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, we will get it. But nobody knows when. There have been zero announcements so whatever people on here say is speculation. Sure, 2.1 will be out in open source in a few days but it wont be optimized for our phones. vzon has to get their hands on it and fix it up. Probably are doing it right now.

Where did you get that piece of information? Big Red has absolutely nothing to do with the OS. Google handles it, top to bottom.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
Never believe anything you read from PC World. They are one of the biggest spreaders of wrong information in the media world. They are all Apple fanboys that are still upset about the Droid stealing the spotlight from their precious iPhone so any chance they get to smear the Droid or the Android OS and spread misinformation they jump at it.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The same way htc customizes the os for thier phones.

Do you think the stock version of android comes with the visual voicemail and amazon app that verizon wants you to use?

I didn't get the info anywhere, but wasn't it verizon pushing the 2.01 update, not google?

Where did you get that piece of information? Big Red has absolutely nothing to do with the OS. Google handles it, top to bottom.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Do you think the stock version of android comes with the visual voicemail and amazon app that verizon wants you to use?

I didn't get the info anywhere, but wasn't it verizon pushing the 2.01 update, not google?

Nope, my understanding of it has been Google. It's Google's OS.

Elysian

Reaction score

Google provides the OS, but it's up to manufacturers to adapt it to the phones. Google does not freely just upgrade everyone. I don't see why Verizon would be the one pushing the update though, it's a Motorola phone.

iPirate

Reaction score
i've read the same thing. very curious about this. the article i read said something along the lines that the droid's processor isnt quick enough to effectively utilize all the bells and whistles of the 2.1. maybe that's why some of us had an issues with that 2.1 launcher. i know i did so i deleted it.
where did you read that? it is wrong

bllarkin

Reaction score

Google provides the OS, but it's up to manufacturers to adapt it to the phones. Google does not freely just upgrade everyone. I don't see why Verizon would be the one pushing the update though, it's a Motorola phone.

Verizon pushes the updates because it is on Verizon's network. As for the upgrading, not sure on who needs to do optimization or anything. The OS is pretty much stock, but the Visual Voicemail is a customization, so there may be some hand from VZW in on it.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
VVM could very well just be an add on that VZW tacks on to the update when it's pushed out, though. We don't know for sure that they have any part on the OS development or tweaking. They could very well just have the OTA installer grab the VZW specific apps along the way when the OS is pushed to us.

Laurence5905

Reaction score

Verizon pushes the updates because it is on Verizon's network. As for the upgrading, not sure on who needs to do optimization or anything. The OS is pretty much stock, but the Visual Voicemail is a customization, so there may be some hand from VZW in on it.

In all likelihood, it's a committee -- both Motorola and Verizon probably have to "approve" the OS before Verizon pushes it out to all the Droids. I'm sure they both will ensure the particular build of the OS is optimized for the Droid before Verizon pushes it to us.

The Droid is not an HTC phone, where HTC has to take weeks to add their "special flavor" to the OS before its suitable (in their minds) for the phone. That doesn't mean we're getting a plain 2.1 OS for the Droid -- there has got to be some thing (or a few things) that Motorola and/or Verizon will do to the OS before they release it to us.

bllarkin

Reaction score
VVM could very well just be an add on that VZW tacks on to the update when it's pushed out, though. We don't know for sure that they have any part on the OS development or tweaking. They could very well just have the OTA installer grab the VZW specific apps along the way when the OS is pushed to us.

I think this is more than likely true because I believe, if you click on the icon, it is just a link to install the VVW program. I don't know because I haven't tried it, but that was my understanding from others.