OK so I am still very new to Droid but may be switching already....

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by rayjj, May 14, 2010.

1. rayjj

rayjj New Member

Got the Moto Droid about 3 weeks ago, but I was just playing with the Incredible in the store and I think I am wanting to switch. Reasons, the Incredible is faster, lighter, thinner, and is minus the physical keyboard that I really thought I was going to use, but find that I am not using it barely at all. Have a few questions. Pretty sure I just need to do a factory reset of the phone and erase the SD card and be good to go to ship the phone back right? I have my old BB I can activate in the meantime while I am droidless. I did buy a Moto docking station, as well as an extra USB cable, would those both still work with the Incredible? I'll lose out on the Otterbox case I got for the Moto, so maybe someone will want to buy one cheap. Anything else I should take care of before I do this? I have to send the phone back on Monday for it to get back in time or I am SOL.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If you're within your 30 day period, don't hesitate go switch. I did that with my Blackberry Storm, was real glad I did.
  3. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Id suggest rooting your droid just so you can see all the stuff you can do with it, you can always go back to stock. You'll be missing out with the incredible since it hasnt been rooted yet and theres no custom roms for it.
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I dont really know about the docking station, but the cable should be fine. And if he doesnt use or want the the slide out keyboard, wants a lighter and thinner phone, rooting isnt going to help that. :)

Now faster or just as fast as the Inc.? Rooting might bring him a lil closer....but thats highly debatable.
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  5. jaw4bama

jaw4bama New Member

If I am not mistaken, the usb cable is different.
  6. Mule65

Mule65 Member

I'm pretty sure the Moto dock won't work with the Inc. The Inc seems to have horrendous battery life and a poor phone signal so now you've been warned. I've noticed several Incredible users returning to Moto Droid lately.
  7. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I would assume the charging ports are in different locations between the inc and the droid. As far as battery life my friend just got the inc and was coming from one of the LG dumb/semi-smart phones and he says it has horrible battery life, even compared to my droid. Thats what a processor consistently at 1GHz will do...
  8. rayjj

rayjj New Member

Really people returning to the Moto? I can't imagine the battery life being any worse!!!! I am not really concerned about the dock, if it doesnt work no big deal.

I also do not care about rooting the phone, as long as it works well enough as is its good for me.

Keep any info coming, will have to take it all in!
  9. hookbill

When people return to the Moto Droid it's not because of battery life. I don't think the Incredible is any worst then any other smart phone.

Man, people can get so hung up on this battery thing! If you don't want to root then get the Incredible. Or stay with your Droid and wait for 2.2.
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

U do realize you just opened Pandora's Box....

And they both use Micro USB so the USB cord is ok.
  11. rayjj

rayjj New Member

What are the reasons people are returning to the Moto? As far as phone signal, I have not had any issue with many different phones over the years on VZW, can't imagine the Inc could be any worse than any of them.
  12. hookbill

Some people are folks that rooted and decided they would rather have the Droid. Some don't like the feel of the Incredible. Some miss the physical keyboard.

I don't think I've seen anybody say, "I'm going back to the Droid because battery life was significantly better."

I don't see every post. But I see a lot of them. :)
  13. Mule65

Mule65 Member

On the HTC Incredible forum there are a lot of people returning Inc because of poor phone reception and battery life.
  14. rayjj

rayjj New Member

It would make sense the battery life being somewhat less with a much faster processor.
  15. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

There will always be disappointed consumers. Met a guy on a plane yesterday who is going back to his Blackberry from his droid. A colleague of mine did the same. The bottom line is that the Droid and Inc are very different devices with individual strengths and weaknesses.

The Inc has a significantly less powerful/long lasting stock battery than the Droid. People will learn to manage its capabilities or move to third party batteries. Just as happened with the Droid. As far as reception is concerned, I strongly suspect it has more to do with signal than reception.

Just spent four days in Santa Cruz, California where my normally reliable Droid worked quite well as a music player and hardly at all as a phone.
  16. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

For what its worth, I hear the Inc's battery life is literally horrible. Thats a lot, too, because people really didn't like the Droid's battery life before the last update.

Also, 2.2 will be making some sort of 10x increase in speed.... so.... I'm definately not doing a thing until I check out 2.2. Even then, I'm probably not spending a dime until its time to goto LTE or something in 1-2 years. For now, the Droid is fine. I love it, except for the little choppiness. If 2.2 fixes that, I'm one happy camper.
  17. Diordna

Diordna New Member

No one said anything about the Sense UI??
    I've read several times that they didn't like that, and something about the widgets too.

I'd stay with my Droid if I had a choice.. or save for the Droid 2 coming out in summer
  18. itzkr0me

itzkr0me New Member

I've had my INC for a week now. Battery life isn't that significantly different for my uses. I also have a charger at work and in the car, so not really a huge issue for me. I will be getting the extended batteries when they come out.

Feel of the phone is definately different, but superior to others. I love it.

Reception. I get 4 bars everywhere I go. I have had zero issues with reception, and even say that I can hear people and they can hear me much clearer on this phone than my droid.

The phone is much faster. I had my droid OC'd to 1200 and the INC still feels more responsive, even with the anti-fingerprint skin on the face.

The camera is lightyears better than the droid. Can't even compare them.

I am 100% happy with my purchase. Sold my droid for $300 so the cost was next to nothing.
  19. rayjj

rayjj New Member

Whichever phone I end up with, I will have it for 2 years, I am not one to buy a new phone before the new every 2 discount. I also only have a few days left before I can make the switch, Moto has to be back to VZW by Thurs next week to get it within the 30 day window. Does VZW give you another 30 days if I say get the Incr and prefer to go back to the Moto?
  20. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Nope -- you get one exchange.