OK folks, looking for moderating feedback...

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by Sam, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeLopez

GeLopez Member

Ratings:
    +8
    i have a question for you sam... how many mods are there? i only see 3 maybe 4 being active to the point were they are posting 5/10 times in a page showing 10 threads.

vulcan and ck being the most active ones i see. i may be wrong but that is my question/opinion

2. get quad

get quad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm still posting here, it's still a good site :D

I was banned at androidforums by 'Phases' because he didn't understand that 'morans' or 'lotta morons in this thread' is a tongue-in-cheek internet meme (which I never directed at any individual -- and of all things was in reference to posters not reading past the first post or doing a search). The ban came after a stern warning when I explained it was in jest and told him not to be silly. Regardless, I simply refuse to contribute to any forum where the admin reacts like a child and refuses to admit a simple misunderstanding.

No such misunderstandings here though, the Admins/Mods seem intelligent enough to be able to discern the difference between nonsense and acrimony.

Glad to continue to contribute on these here fine forums :)

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Off the top of my head there are 5 mods, I think 5 smods and the admins. I could be off a number or two on that.

but I will say I'm surprised at who you see post the most around here. Vulcan and CK are around a lot, but the top two posters on the entire board are myself and backnblack. ;)

4. lschicky

lschicky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Overall the mods do a good job, but there is always room for improvement. I've actually been a moderator on sites as large as this one, and know what a tedious task it is. It's important to always see where there is room for improvement.

Off the top of my head:

--Yes, hard set rules should be posted. With Set Warning system in place (IE 1st offence, 2nd offence, etc.. Most forums have a 3 strikes rule.) Don't assume everyone knows forum Etiquette.

--Hot Topics should be sticky'd so multiple threads don't keep popping up vs just keep closing them: The Search function on the site isn't really helpful, so perhaps not be so rude to the accidental double threads. I know you guys get sick of seeing the same thing over and over, but most people don't look back more then 3 pages worth of threads, and since the website tends to lead you to more specified forum sections vs the whole forum. so post in other sections are often missed.

--There is never an excuse for a moderator to be snippy/rude with people. Being a moderator should not be considered a position of power, but one of customer service. That currently doesn't come across here.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The close/edited/deleted threads shouldn't be happening as much now that 2.1 is out and everybody has it. During the first few days we were trying to keep the amount of threads down, and I know for a fact that I upset a few people in one thread but at the time that was what the admins wanted and that's what I was doing. I can't apologize for following orders, I can say that going forward anybody I delete a thread or even edit a thread will receive a pm from me explaining why that happened. The only reason for editing a thread really is because of language but I feel that the poster should be notified.

6. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I personally have had a few post deleted with no merrit at all... no pm saying why, no warning, no nothing... just deleted and nothing ever said about it.

This should not be happening..... censoring your members when they are not breaking the rules is not a good thing. Hopefully some change is in order.

Other then the few "friends with benifits" we see here and there... and overlooking my post being deleted... it's running pretty well.

7. lschicky

lschicky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It would also be helpful if the mods actually read the content of some threads. It might be the same source topic, but branching off into different aspects of it. Though better topic lines would help set those aside. 1 general thread to cover all isn't always best. like with the 2.1 thread, it got to over 15 pages easily. But it was hopeless trying to sort through it to find out what the upgrade contained vs just when it was potentially coming out and the rumor mill, Mods shutting down threads like this is only going to drive people to find that information elsewhere where they don't have to sort through 15 pages of "It's not here yet!"

8. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    we do actually warning system with a three strike policy. it's posted here somewhere. but i'll take that as another vote for a rules page ;)

thanks for the pointers!

9. Aaron636r

Aaron636r Member

Ratings:
    +0

If the forum wasn't such a success as it is now...this wouldn't be a problem. Comes with the territory. Congrats!!

10. lschicky

lschicky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sticky it in each forum section please? Label it "Forum Rules" sticky's titled "Flaming Stops Now ! People will Start Getting 30 Days Bans for this starting now !! " or "Rules for Banning" are things people are only going to look at after they've run into a problem.

The Rules for Banning (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/19442-member-guidelines-banning.html) only state the consequence, not what the actual rules that will get you banned are.

11. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    right, that's what we were discussing earlier.. you would like to see rules that will get you banned? i agree to that. last time it was brought up though, we were under 20k members and had no problems with people following rules. i'll see what we can get started. thanks again!

12. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +215
    My only complaint would be...none..another idea though would have a list of all avail mods online like I am having a problem now. Which I will pm you..it might already exist I just don't know where to look it not exactly handy to do this from cell phone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.