OK folks, looking for moderating feedback...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how you guys feel the staff at DF is doing with our jobs.. This includes Admins, Super Mods and Mods. Do you have any requests or suggestions on things we do differently? Please don't be afraid to (respectfully) step one our toes, we can't get better if we don't know we are doing wrong.

For example, I know some of us are bad about closing or deleting a thread or post and not PMing the person that posted it, myself included. We are working on this. Or if you think I'm too harsh sounding, this is the place to let me know without fear of a ban stick.. ;)

So any ideas for things we could improve on? Thanks in advance everybody.

ldimick

Reaction score
My biggest complaint is not with the mods but with the users. The users add so much noise to every thread that the search function is worthless.

Mojo

Reaction score
I think the staff does a great job overall. No changes needed keep up the good work. The site has gained like 40,000 members since I joined. That's kinda speaks for it self. ;)

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is not with the mods but with the users. The users add so much noise to every thread that the search function is worthless.

asking about the STAFF, not users.. this is a forum, after all ;)
as far as the search function, i agree that the one on the site could be better, though i don't know how. i always search on google and include "droidforums" in my search.

doesn't matter, that's another monster entirely ;)

STAFF discussion ONLY please

slinky

Reaction score
Overall very nice job guys.

Users will be users. Nothing you can do except kindly direct them.

Staff - no complaints, good job. I think it's always best to let the some of the action go. No need to censor everything so it's completely g-rated. It's going to happen in forums. If it's clearly over the line, then go for it.

Last edited:
K

killabyte

but as the STAFF it's your job to address the search functions/issue. why ask us how you're doing and then tell us we can't if we don't talk about you directly?

yeah people are going to be lazy and ask hundreds of questions that have been asked hundreds of times. i'll also agree that's what a forum is for BUT it is going to ruin the search results for those that are savvy enough to use and understand it. people don't have time to wade through pages and pages of results.

Spyte

Reaction score
my only request, respectfully submitted, would be that in matters pertaining to truth, justice and the droid forums way; where perceived offense and flaming response cross paths; before punishment and blame is meted out to the deserving masses: that the Droid Forum gods who may smile on us lowly peons or throw deserved lightning ban bolts with equal measure should pause and take stock and be sure in no small measure in the truth and justness of their actions against and on behalf of all parties; and the facts in their minds are right and true within the confines of possibility.

mrdroid

Reaction score
My only complaint would be when mods are biased in favor of their "friends" when they are clearly in the wrong.
I should actually add that I've never been personally affected by this observation.

Last edited:

JimmyD

Reaction score
I have no issues or concerns with how the moderation has been here on DF. It's nice to see so many active mods on a site like this.

I'm very curious to find out the reasons behind this thread?! Was there an issue or concern or problem that has been identified to warrant a thread like this?

...or are the mods just fishing for some praise on a slow Monday afternoon?!?!?! :icon_ poke: :icon_ owned:

:p :biggrin: ZING! ;) :laugh: :popcorn:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Just do your jobs which is helping people and maintain the forum and you'll be ok; you will never please everyone. Your best bet is to keep highly biased opinions to yourself unless asked directly, stay relatively neutral, and keep things from going off topic. That's all that one should expect out of a moderator.

mikes

Reaction score
Too much moderation around here which isn't based on any reasonable interpretation of the rules. With (some) mods, if they don't like something, they'll shut it down, including editing or deleting posts, without any notice. What good does that do? If the offending user isn't informed, it does nothing to change inappropriate behavior.

There should be rules for mods, too, which include noting any editorial changes to user's posts, informing users when their posts are changed, and the reason (including reference to the rules). Also, notice with clear explanation, and agreement of at least 2 mods, before a user can be banned for more than a day. (and "a day" only to cover cases where immediate action might be necessary).

I can think of one recent case where a power tripping mod banned a user here because someone used the same screen name on some other board to make critical comments. Said mod was simply clueless, and had no evidence against this user. When they finally realized their mistake, they made an extremely lame half-excuse, and continued to try and justify their actions, saying they didn't even owe an apology, and threatening other users with bans for criticizing their inappropriate actions. IMO, that particular mod deserves to be remove from any role of authority.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i will bring up the issue of being biased. not sure if that was directed at me, but we'll sort that out.

as for reasoning behind this thread.. someone from the rescue squad was asking for feedback about how they were doing their job, and i figured a nice reality check could be in order for the mod staff too. no particular incident. ;) just checking.

mikes, i agree we need to have better communication about why posts/threads are changed/deleted... there are a few of us that suck at doing that (myself included). also from your post, would you guys like to see a full blown rules sheet for us to refer to? we have kicked the idea around in the back room but haven't really felt it was necessary.. but that was 20k members ago.. you guys want a cut and dry rules list?

thanks for the feedback folks, keep it coming!

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Overall, it's my impression that you guys are doing an excellent job. I haven't seen many examples of the abuse of power and control, and generally you use appropriate limits, sensitivity and tact. That's kind of hard to develop with a set of bureaucratic rules, it's more of a positive culture that you have fostered.

Status
Not open for further replies.