Staff Checkup: Feedback / Recommendations / Suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshef

Reaction score
I agree that you all are doing a great job! Hook, perhaps one suggestion might be to every so often (once a day :rofl3: ) re-post your posting on How to Search.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree that you all are doing a great job! Hook, perhaps one suggestion might be to every so often (once a day :rofl3: ) re-post your posting on How to Search.

This.

Hook, what did you have in mind?

V

verian

I have had a rough last two weekends with you guys. That doesn't take away from the great job that you do day in and day out. My only point is..... If 80% percent of the trouble is able to be pin pointed to one topic, person and or thread/section why keep it?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have had a rough last two weekends with you guys. That doesn't take away from the great job that you do day in and day out. My only point is..... If 80% percent of the trouble is able to be pin pointed to one topic, person and or thread/section why keep it?
because only. 00005% of the total membership base is causing thar particular problem.

That's why we will be forced to instate the 30 day suspension. We've been around the block on that issue one too many times so suspensions will be levied out from now on.

Plus its not fair to punish the majority for what the minority is doing. We will simply eliminate the problem and restore peace.

There is a sticky across all the forums on the flaming so its time to enforce it.

Sent from my Droid

V

verian

I guess the request for opinions good or bad, you guys really meant only good. cause the first one with any opposition got a good backlash.

Varking

Reaction score
Do you think we are doing well as a Moderating staff?

Yes, I do believe that the job of moderating here has been done very well. Flaming is typically kept to a minimum and most times you do allow people to vent and have their say so long as they aren't going over the top.

If not, how can we improve?

I do not think that you are doing an average or bad job. I firmly believe that you all have been excellent when it comes to moderating. The only thing I can think of to suggest for maybe helping quell situations a little nicer and come off friendlier as a staff as a whole, would be to send a PM to the people who are flaming and see if it can be resolved through that before having to "bump" flame threads with your own posts, or having to lock threads that are getting out of hand.

Sometimes when you give a warning in the thread itself it bumps it to the top of the page and it gives more readers a chance to jump in without reading your warning post. Especially on threads that are close to being off of the first page.

Can you give any suggestions or ideas to help us do our jobs more thoroughly or fairly?

Just remember the type of punishments you have given out and make sure you stick closely to those numbers. If a person gets a three day ban for using excessive foul language in a post over and over, make sure that all the people who are first or second time offenders get the same. Don't give one of them a 30 day ban and the other a 3 day.

Do you think we are overstaffed/understaffed?

Understaffed! Clearly you guys and gals need at least one more official App and Game Reviews Blogger named 'Varking', or something similar. ;)

Any suggestions for organization?

I don't personally think that much more can be done to make the site more organized overall. Maybe, if you guys do decide down the road you would like to host more organized reviews of apps and games for the Android Market you could add sub-forums just for those. In the Application Review and the Game Review sub-forums allow all members to be able to post, but only allow staff "bloggers/reviewers" to create the threads for their reviews to keep it from getting cluttered.

Are we approachable enough?

I think this forum has the most approachable staff that I have ever been a part of. You guys and gals are everywhere, at all times of the day and night, and always join in on conversations. I feel everyone on staff typically gives off welcoming vibes and there isn't anyone I can think of that seems "stand-off-ish".

Anything else?

Nothing to add really. I wasn't joking about being a reviewer/blogger here in a more official sense if you guys ever want to explore that possibility and I hope my feedback here helps you guys just further the overall experience you guys offer here. Thank you for your time.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
I view as many Droid forums as I know exist but I always save the best for last due to the vast amount of reading that needs to be done on DF to get the info you are looking for.
While DF has ALL the info some threads do get a bit out of hand with different members posting the same questions over and over every ten posts.
The Mods do an excellent job of keeping the threads on topic most of the time (I know this is not an easy job) but the redundant questions need to be discouraged and possibly just deleted IMO... once this starts getting done more users would probably either start using search or reading the entire thread to get the info they are looking for. As it is now I DO read the entire thread (new posts) several times a day just to stay caught up with posts and any important info that may have been posted overnight or while I'm working.

One nice thing that I have seen lately is the OP being updated with the latest info so I know I can go to the OP on a topic and see if any changes or updates were done.

I'd like to respond to this post. I agree with you, as you may have seen I made a thread of a list of posts I'd never like to see again. I want to pull my hair out every time I see a battery post. But I think some things you have to live with. The reality of this is that new people and some old ones post up without searching. However when you tell somebody that their first response is I did search. It makes it difficult to shut down those threads when the purpose of the Forum is to help each other.

We'll definitely take this and see if there is a better way to handle these posts. I'd sure like to see one. I do have an idea I'll present to the rest of the mods.

It's not the new posts re-hashing the old stuff that is a problem you can always just elect to not open them but when there is a major event/release going on and the thread is a thousand posts about 50% of them are redundant when all the posters asking the same questions over and over need do is READ the thread.
I know you guys and gals have a lot on your plates but id when an important change or update is posted by someone like a developer it should be placed at the top of the thread so no one misses it or asks about a process like installing an update or fix that is buried in pages of questions.

Varking

Reaction score
I view as many Droid forums as I know exist but I always save the best for last due to the vast amount of reading that needs to be done on DF to get the info you are looking for.
While DF has ALL the info some threads do get a bit out of hand with different members posting the same questions over and over every ten posts.
The Mods do an excellent job of keeping the threads on topic most of the time (I know this is not an easy job) but the redundant questions need to be discouraged and possibly just deleted IMO... once this starts getting done more users would probably either start using search or reading the entire thread to get the info they are looking for. As it is now I DO read the entire thread (new posts) several times a day just to stay caught up with posts and any important info that may have been posted overnight or while I'm working.

One nice thing that I have seen lately is the OP being updated with the latest info so I know I can go to the OP on a topic and see if any changes or updates were done.

I'd like to respond to this post. I agree with you, as you may have seen I made a thread of a list of posts I'd never like to see again. I want to pull my hair out every time I see a battery post. But I think some things you have to live with. The reality of this is that new people and some old ones post up without searching. However when you tell somebody that their first response is I did search. It makes it difficult to shut down those threads when the purpose of the Forum is to help each other.

We'll definitely take this and see if there is a better way to handle these posts. I'd sure like to see one. I do have an idea I'll present to the rest of the mods.

It's not the new posts re-hashing the old stuff that is a problem you can always just elect to not open them but when there is a major event/release going on and the thread is a thousand posts about 50% of them are redundant when all the posters asking the same questions over and over need do is READ the thread.
I know you guys and gals have a lot on your plates but id when an important change or update is posted by someone like a developer it should be placed at the top of the thread so no one misses it or asks about a process like installing an update or fix that is buried in pages of questions.
Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but Blizzard, the video game company does something like this on their forums.

Look here: Battle.net - English Forums -> Diablo III General Discussion

Every time a Moderator makes a post they have that "Bliz" symbol next to their posts.

If you click a thread where that same "developer" or "moderator" has posted, it will look like this thread:

Battle.net - English Forums -> Durability?

Now, if you notice there is another Bliz symbol above their post off to the right. If that symbol is there it means that same mod/dev has made a second post in that thread and if you click it, it will take you to the next one they have made. A pretty cool feature that would be awesome of implemented here for ROM developers/rescue squad/and other staff.

Droids

Reaction score
I think some mods may be a bit quick to delete posts. I had one deleted today, in the rockplayer thread. My post was not confrontational, it was informatative. I quoted and replied to someone else that was cussing. Their post was edited, mine was simply deleted in it's entirety. Perhaps you should edit someone's post rather than delete it for no reason. (apparently you do for other people, standards are not being used here) I don't even know why it was deleted. It's not the first time either, makes me wonder if there is a mod out there with a grudge against me.

Last time I had one deleted was in the AllDroid thread. Two others were when I flamed BD for releasing half-baked ROMS, which as it turned out, was true.

gszeman

Reaction score

In my short time here, this is one of the first issues I noticed. I actually made a thread with my thoughts on the search function: [Suggestion] Way to improve search function?

I think if there was a way to make that function more user friendly, we would have a ton less of the same questions asked in the same thread. Which would make everyone's lives a little happier!

I agree with the majority of users who have posted...I think with the amount of posts that come through these forums, you guys do an excellent job. I've found the majority of mods here to be helpful and friendly.

I have a couple of suggestions, apart from my search function suggestion.

These are both related to the active topic function...which is amazing!

1) I'd like to see more topics listed here...I know 50 seems like a lot, but once you scroll through the repeat posts (please refer to my search function thread :p), or irrelevant posts (i.e. posts on Incredible issues when you only have a Droid), you really aren't left with a lot. Also take into account the number of new users added daily and the amount of posts per minute in this massive forum. It'd be nice to see multiple pages, or more on the first page.

2) It would be nice to be able to choose which forums/sub-forums you'd like to see in the active topic list...maybe a setting in usercp that allows you to check off which sections to include or exclude...that way you could mark off the sub-forums that aren't relevant to your use/needs.

Keep up the good work...I've learned a lot from this forum in just a couple months.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, I see a LOT of good info in here.. Thank you all so much! I'm making lists of stuff to look into (thanks for the specifics Varking, Gszeman, Droids, etc), and I don't want anyone to think anyone is being looked over...
And Verian, you have had a rough few weeks, and I realize that was at least partially my fault. I don't remember right off what our discussion was about, but how would you rather I/us handle things differently? Like I said to begin with, I'm really here for the criticism over compliments.. (why else would I open up this thread? I'm not exactly JUST making friends here ;)) Anyway, without getting into the specifics of whatever issue we were having, let me know how I can improve, or how we can improve as a team. Thanks in advance!

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is verian,

I'm not sure how much you mods communicate prior to jumping in and doing your jobs. I would say with the last issues I've had, it seems that while one mod may have the issue settled or pointed in a better direction. Another will come in and stoke the fire a bit. Completely unintentional on your part. Thats your job! Thats really what happened between you and I. Another mod had addressed the issue and than Bam!! Heres another one coming at me. Thats all over and done just making a point.

Obviously I'm treading treacherous water even posting in here, in light of my new name and all. (LoL)

Am I the first to skip right over the 30 day ban right to deletion?

Thanks again and good job.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verian, i sent you a PM on this name.

thanks again for the input everyone, keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.