Official myLock thread - we don't like the lockscreen

Paul1201

Reaction score
Yeah, the option to not have it running with the persistence is in settings. I've found you almost never experience a problem like that, but very rarely if you are loading the CPU (this happened to me once while using several tabs in dolphin browser) the OS can stop the myLock process. Now normally when that happens, it restarts it within a short time. But if you happen to lock the phone before that restart, you'll get a lockscreen next time you go to unlock, and that might break your functionality in the Lite mode or other past release versions.

Could you guys describe the handcent issue? Was it just that you lose functionality? My new modes seem to allow the popup. These modes work by displaying a custom screen anytime the phone sleeps, overriding the lockscreen. If the phone sleeps again the popup is gone, does handcent normally keep it there on screen till you've done something with it?

I noticed handcent also provides the option to display popup only after unlocking, I bet that would stop it from conflicting and actually cause it to display properly after myLock does your unlock for you.

I will try setting Handcent to display the popup only after the screen is unlocked and see if that resolves the conflict.

The issue I am having is that all works fine for a while and then myLock stops working in that I have to slide to unlock or the screen stays black and I have to unlock/lock a few times to get access to the phone.

Thanks for your quick replies and I hope the settings as described by you amd Martin solve my problems.

Paul1201

Reaction score
This time all I got was the persitent black screen and eventually the slider to unlock. My wife has disabled popups and is running myLock in persistent mode and all seems to get along fine. I would really like to have the popup text window and that is when it does not seem to work well with Handcent.

Paul1201

Reaction score
I think I may have it. Under the Popup window disable both Screen on for Popup and Show on Locked settings. I will try this for the next day or so and let you all know.

xanthus1132

Reaction score
I think I may have it. Under the Popup window disable both Screen on for Popup and Show on Locked settings. I will try this for the next day or so and let you all know.

Wow... I kind of feel bad for not paying attention to the thread. When I first started using mylock I realized quickly that all you have to do is turn off the option in handcent or any other messagin app that unlocks the screen when using mylock. If you keep the screen on option, it will not have bad affects, mylock will unlock the screen when handcent wakes the screen. So.. turn off the unlock screen option and leave the screen on option enabled.

Paul1201

Reaction score
I had the Screen on for Popup enabled when I tried it earlier today. I suppose that extend the screen timeout past 5 seconds to read a text. I'll try both settings and let you know.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wow... I kind of feel bad for not paying attention to the thread. When I first started using mylock I realized quickly that all you have to do is turn off the option in handcent or any other messagin app that unlocks the screen when using mylock. If you keep the screen on option, it will not have bad affects, mylock will unlock the screen when handcent wakes the screen. So.. turn off the unlock screen option and leave the screen on option enabled.
This works. Nice find. For anyone who isn't sure here's how....
settings > poup setting > enable 'Screen on for Popup', disable 'Show on locked'.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
I am now one bug fix away from launching next actual featured release.

The bug is that certain apps are stopping the correct operation of the 2.0 optimized method I am now using. When screen first sleeps, my process attempts to get started and ready to give you a lag-free, unlocked wakeup. Basically primes itself by taking over the lockscreen. But if browser was open, this fails, & instead it only starts when you wake the screen up. It's like the request gets paused and the OS puts it off till we wake the screen up again. The result is you have to sleep it again and wake up again to get unlocked, because the logic is to do nothing at start, and wait for the next wakeup. When google talk or the home screen launcher (or even the home replacement I use- slidescreen) no conflict happens, it works like it should. But then you're trying to wake it up to resume where you were in browsing and it just doesn't get started correctly. Totally misses the boat.

The point of the 2.0 method is that it is very smooth and fast, and never fails due to CPU load. It never has a flicker. You never see the stock lockscreen since we override it at sleep. So this next release will be really solid and a better experience, if there is any fix for this bug.

MotorolaDroid

Reaction score
Just dl'd 2.0 and it works great! Much smoother than before.

Is there a way o get rid of the android icon in the top bar? Mines already so cluttered.

Great work, can't wait to see it in the store soon!

allen2oo3

Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks. love this app...cant wait for future releases.

Paul1201

Reaction score
petjakob,

I just tried the new version on my Droid and it hangs on the screen with the subdued text past the 5 second screen timeout so I have to hit the power button a second time to unlock the screen about half the time. Right now version alpha3 with Handcent Popup settings of Screen on for Popup and Show on Locked both disabled is the most stable. FWIW I have myLock set enabling Persistent Mode and Start at Boot and I am using the stock homescreen.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
I've been trying to eliminate all bugs in the test builds, so I am not sure which versions you might be getting as I am constantly uploading minor revisions so i can download and test. the bug I just posted about is what is causing you to see the waiting screen.. some apps are causing the normal procedure that would prime at screen off to get delayed till you wake it back up. So far my most solid functionality is with the custom lock turned ON (you only wake that up with the camera key), but it still encounters the bug occasionally and most often when locking over dolphin browser.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am running alpha2 with zero problems from Handcent and Home++

-=Jason=-

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
alpha1 worked good for me, time to go grab alpha 2 it looks like.

I also posted this elsewhere...not sure if some of the wishes will be covered within myLock as some of this concerns answering the phone vs just getting past the slide lock screen (and I just payed for voice dialer tonight, it works good with Button Shortcut....but only if the screen us unlocked and it doesn't answer, only dials):

((http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...app-changing-way-you-answer-your-phone-3.html))
There's some apps that come close to doing it all. Mylock, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Button Shortcut (lets you assign any app to a long press of the camera button and is free in the app store), combined with Voice Dialer HF ($4 in the app store). I think the following would work:

If the phone is in screensaver mode and you long-pressed the camera while the phone was ringing it would answer. I think it would be hard to long press that for 2-3 seconds by accident. If the phone is not ringing and you long press the camera button, while the screen is locked, then you can choose whatever app you want it to fire up. Maybe it is a voice dialer, maybe it is your web browser. If the screen is not locked then you have an option to fire up the same app or a different one if you'd choose. Using Mylock you could long press the power button to get to the desktop then long press the camera to start the camera (which is the default) or start something else up. If the screen is locked and you want to see who it is before just answering then long press the power, see if you want to answer, then long press the camera button to answer. Finally, if the screen is not locked and the phone is ringing have the option to answer via long press of camera or swipe the screen which is what we do now.

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
I've been researching the option of a button mapped call-answer due to popular request. To do it, we would have to create a dialer-capable section of the program and claim it was capable of handling answering calls. then, when a call starts ringing our program would be able to be called. I haven't yet started any coding work on it but I think it could be done. I haven't spent time to research if there is a specific phone replacement out there that might already serve this desired purpose.

jasonb

Reaction score
i just downloaded and installed the latest version of this and it seems to be much smoother than the older release i had tried a while back. it seems a little slow when you wake it up with the browser open, but so far that seems to be the only program that causes it to slow down. this time i think i'll keep it installed and use it. i'll report back if i have any issues. thanks.